sligo stars return en masse

Started by sligoman2, December 15, 2006, 06:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

How are ye all, long time no speak.

Been very busy with a new job but thankfully things are cooling off a bit.  Curious to see what the opinions are for sligo in 2007.  Looks like we could have a strong (and hopefully healthy) team.  Interesting article from hogan stand below. 

I hear the team have been back at training for the last 6 weeks.  Bid difference to last year...

No fewer than seven players, who opted out of the Sligo football squad in 2006, have returned to training in recent weeks.

Former Sligo Rovers captain Michael McNamara was first to report back for duty, and he has now been joined by Jonathan Davey, Johnny Martyn, Brendan Philips, Patrick Naughton, Brian Curran and Kieran Quinn in what is a huge boost for manager Tommy Breheny.

Breheny oversaw a big improvement in the Yeat County's fortunes in a short period of time this year and will be hoping to maintain that progress in the coming season. Having avoided Galway and Mayo in the early rounds of the Connacht championship draw, they will fancy their chances of reaching the provincial final and perhaps ending a 32-year wait for Nestor Cup honours.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

paddypastit

Welcome back SM2.  We Sligomen have been a bit quiet in recent times - personally for reasons similar to yourself, exceppt I haven't changed jobs, just been mad busy in the same place.  The general vibe for next year seems positive and all seven of those guys are quality whioch building on 2006 can't be bad.  Personally I wouldn't let Philips near the team  - any team - but iot is certain to create competition and some physical presence and that can't be bad.  Tough League campaign in prospect though - far too early to be talking about championships... although you will see them first in that context - May 13 I believe.  Book up that mental hospital pitch again - not likely to be seeing commando exercises this time I'd think!!
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

highking

Ddnt know Sligo had any stars - Roll on Connacht Championship 2007

tayto

This could make the Connacht comapionship very interesting.

magpie seanie

The early signs are encouraging and the vibe from the camp appears pretty positive. The added depth to the squad is badly needed as we simply must have a good league to avoid falling back into the sad old days of Div 4 and no back door.

The rift from the Tommy Murphy Cup debacle finally seems to be behind us. I'd be quietly optimistic for a good year. We should have a decent minor team too and the appointment of Moyles is an excellent move.

All in all a lot of positives about Sligo GAA at present. Now we need it translated to the field.

Shrewdness

What exactly is it that has Sligo people all worked up about positive vibes? Don't recall any of those returning players ever doing much of note, and the majority of Gaa fans in other counties have never heard of most of them!!! ??? If the vibes in Sligo are positive, they must be gone off the Richter Scale in Roscommon ::)

BallyhaiseMan

Shrewedness
a Real dedicated GAA Fan from around the country makes it his/her business to know who these players are...
Johnny Martyn is the only name there i dont know of...
Well damn i was hoping you sligoheads would struggle this year,if all is going well for yous id day its a 4 way battle between Yourselves, ourselves(Cavan),Meath and Wexford for the top two spots..

belleaqua

Yee look to have some very strong guys back indeed! Lookin forward to see how yee McNamara plays now that he's back, this seems his first real craic at it without distraction.

I have to say from what i hear that there is the possibility of more to come from Sligo. Is it true that a few younger Rovers or ex-Rovers players might make the step up? These guys would have been on Sligo minor panels but committed to soccer but are now candidates for inclusion on the football panel??

highking

Sligo football is definitely going well - the FBD will have to be priority to get all the players back and playing well. Sligo should be aiming to win this cometition. Will many of these lads be on college duty in the FBD? Great times ahead.......

magpie seanie

The Rovers thing is great altogether. The way McNamara and Conor O'Grady along with others were treated was a disgrace and thankfully its working to the GAA's favour. Hopefully some young lads will think twice about committing to them in he future.

QuoteWell damn i was hoping you sligoheads would struggle this year,if all is going well for yous id day its a 4 way battle between Yourselves, ourselves(Cavan),Meath and Wexford for the top two spots..

I know its a cliche but this league will truly be one game at a time. We start by going to Tipperary (they beat us last year) so a win there would be a good result. A loss and you're pretty much fecked. So hopefully we can get a few wins in the FBD to get the momentum going. I might even go to an FBD game this year!

QuoteIf the vibes in Sligo are positive, they must be gone off the Richter Scale in Roscommon

Long may it stay that way. Well, until June anyway.

Another lame attempt there highking. You'll have to do better!

cavan4ever

Will u guys be hoping 4 a good run like use had a few years back with all these guys back??

sligoman2

Of course we'll be hoping for a good run.  I think this is the first time in a long time we have practically a full panel, with a well liked and respected manager, with no distractions and with training going well.

Does anyone know if O'Grady of Flannery have a shot at making the panel??

Anyone want to take a stab at a starting 15?

I'm sure there will be many combinations which can only be a good thing

magpie seanie

Have not heard much about the prospects of Flannery or O'Grady coming on board but I dare say Breheny has investigated the possibility. If both were playing club football and going well I imagine they'd be drafted in though both may end up at other LOI clubs yet.

Couldn't possibly pick a first XV with any confidence. The lads that are in form will get their places and we will have backup for the first time in a while. We need to avoid injuries of course.

Here goes: Greene, Harrison, Maguire, Donovan, Curran, Naughton, Doohan, O'Hara, Quinn, McNamara, Egan, McPartland, J. Davey, S. Davey, Breheny. Subs: Martyn, O'Neill, McGovern, Phillips, McGarty (think he is back?), Kelly, Marren among others.

sligoman2

Not bad seanie.  I wouldn't change it too much.

Very encouraging to see that we have 5 players (in my opinion) that could be considered for mid-field - Quinn, O'Hara, Mcnamara, Egan and S. Davey.

I would probably put Egan at midfield with S.Davey to begin with with Quinn at FF and O'Hara at CHF.  Egan could also be considered at CHB as he is a powerful man coming forward (except he sometimes forgets to go back :) :) :))

League will be very tough but that's the way it should be...

belleaqua

Without getting away from the main subject is it possible for some sligo boy to gimme an idea what happened with Sligo Rovers and some the players and the way they were treated? just a quick synopsis!