Second bite at cherry for provincial winners

Started by maddog, December 11, 2006, 12:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70089

Provincial winners may get second chance
11 December 2006

Cork secretary Frank Murphy has revealed that the GAA is considering a radical change of format for the All-Ireland football championship that would give provincial champions a second bite at the cherry.

Under the proposed format, the four provincial winners would play off for two All-Ireland semi-final places, while the losing two would play off with the two All-Ireland qualifiers for the remaining two semi-final berths.

Under the present format, the four provincial champions qualify for the All-Ireland quarter-finals where they are joined by four teams from the qualifier series. But if the proposed format is accepted, it would see the number of teams coming through from the qualifiers reduced to two, while the losing provincial champions would be given a second chance.

Murphy told the Cork county convention over the weekend that the thinking behind it was that the current system "is weighed in favour" of the qualifier series.

"It would mean that the provincial winners would meet stiffer opposition than heretofore. But it's felt that they should be given the extra opportunity of getting to the semi-final by beating one of the qualifier teams.

Murphy also told delegates that there was a growing consensus in favour of a trimmed down All-Ireland hurling championship which would limit certain teams to only one second chance

Orior

Is this another concession to the DUP who want to reduce the amount of backdoor schenanighans?

This move will favour the stronger teams, but is a couple of years too late for Ard Mhacha  >:(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Spiritof98

For some bloody reason I can't get into that site, can anyone post it up here, please
I'll go back if Marsdens back

maddog

More games, can't be bad. Won't suit Kerry's traditional route though.

Spiritof98

Cheers Maddog.

I like the look of it.

But can this senario occur:

If Armagh and Kerry win their provincials and then meet.
Kerry then beat Armagh
Armagh beat the qualifer and then play Kerry and beat them.
it could leave a team playing the same team twice in a row unless they are some how kept apart.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

tayto

snatter

Great idea if you're Kerry / Cork /Galway or Mayo.

Not so much advantage for Leinster / Ulster teams.

ziggysego

Quote from: Spiritof98 on December 11, 2006, 02:20:46 PM
For some bloody reason I can't get into that site, can anyone post it up here, please

Quote from: Hoganstand.comCork secretary Frank Murphy has revealed that the GAA is considering a radical change of format for the All-Ireland football championship that would give provincial champions a second bite at the cherry.

Under the proposed format, the four provincial winners would play off for two All-Ireland semi-final places, while the losing two would play off with the two All-Ireland qualifiers for the remaining two semi-final berths.

Under the present format, the four provincial champions qualify for the All-Ireland quarter-finals where they are joined by four teams from the qualifier series. But if the proposed format is accepted, it would see the number of teams coming through from the qualifiers reduced to two, while the losing provincial champions would be given a second chance.

Murphy told the Cork county convention over the weekend that the thinking behind it was that the current system "is weighed in favour" of the qualifier series.

"It would mean that the provincial winners would meet stiffer opposition than heretofore. But it's felt that they should be given the extra opportunity of getting to the semi-final by beating one of the qualifier teams.

Murphy also told delegates that there was a growing consensus in favour of a trimmed down All-Ireland hurling championship which would limit certain teams to only one second chance.
Testing Accessibility

FermPundit

not sure if I like this new format. It definitely gives an unfair advantage to counites from connacht and munster. The qualifier system has enabled weaker counties such as Fermanagh and Sligo to develop and compete with the top teams in the country so reducing the number of teams coming through the back door is disappointing. It should make the provincial championships a lot more interesting though!!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

armaghniac

No doubt Cork are in favour of this, they are in a provincial final 95% of the time. This year in Ulster only one of Donegal, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone can reach the provincial final, although these have all as well or better than Cork in recent years. Only two of these teams could play in a quarter final.

Could someone think of scheme where provincial winners could get back in, but in a format where they had to have won 4 games to reach the semis.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

QuoteCould someone think of scheme where provincial winners could get back in, but in a format where they had to have won 4 games to reach the semis

gee, I wonder who that rule would be aimed at ?

Here are some more rules to be allowed back in as provincial winners. Not aimed at any county in particular, you understand

"No full forwards  over 5' 8'' allowed"
" No Midfielders with 4 or more Senior AI football medals allowed"
"Must have same manager as last year"

and, most important of all
" Must say "wee" a lot, no "yerras" allowed" 

maddog

Surely Kerry would be welcoming an extra game, 4 proper games in one championship season to regain / retain sam would be a novelty at least.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on December 12, 2006, 07:17:23 AM
QuoteCould someone think of scheme where provincial winners could get back in, but in a format where they had to have won 4 games to reach the semis

gee, I wonder who that rule would be aimed at ?

Here are some more rules to be allowed back in as provincial winners. Not aimed at any county in particular, you understand

"No full forwards  over 5' 8'' allowed"
" No Midfielders with 4 or more Senior AI football medals allowed"
"Must have same manager as last year"

and, most important of all
" Must say "wee" a lot, no "yerras" allowed" 

You're very touchy Mike. Take it easy.

PS you forgot " Tyrone born full forwards can only play for Tyrone" :)

armaghniac

Quotegee, I wonder who that rule would be aimed at ?

It would be aimed at Cork, good to see Mike that you are so worried about them, or are you expecting Kerry to lose a lot of provincial finals! If a team wins the provincial final and then go on to win their next game then this wouldn't apply.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B