O'Byrne Cup 2008

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 28, 2007, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Is this another year where Caffrey is going to pretend that Colin Moran is really in with a chance at centre back and then bump him up to half forward when Cullen comes back or his he really looking at him there instead of Cullen

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 04, 2008, 02:21:44 PM
Dublin team named
04 January 2008
Dublin boss Paul Caffrey has named half a dozen regulars in his team for Saturday's O'Byrne Cup clash with Wicklow at Parnell Park.
Team captain Colin Moran is named at centre back and he is joined in the side by Stephen Cluxton, Ross McConnell, Shane Ryan and the Brogan brothers, Bernard and Alan, who were all regulars last year. Under 21 star Philip McMahon from Ballymun Kickhams is a newcomer at right half back, while Niall O'Shea, Graham Norton and Stephen O'Shaughnessy have also been given the chance to impress in defence. The towering Declan O'Mahony starts at full forward where he will be flanked by Barry Kennedy, whose last gasp goal in last Saturday's Dubs Stars clash forced a penalty shoot-out. Among the notable absentees are Ciaran Whelan, Conal Keaney, Barry Cahill and Mark Vaughan, who will be on duty with DIT against Westmeath in the same competition on Sunday.

Dublin (SF v Wicklow): S Cluxton; N O'Shea, R McConnell, G Norton; P McMahon, C Moran, S O'Shaughnessy; S Ryan, E Fennell; B Brogan, P Burke, D Lally; B Kennedy, D O'Mahony, A Brogan.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=87356

What time is this game on?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

An Laoch

Just found out Dubs v Wicklow is live on Setanta Ireland at 5pm. Seems to have been kept quiet for some reason so I just thought I'd spread the word here.

BallyhaiseMan

Im guessing he wasnt satisfied with Thomas Walsh, whats with Micko "convincing"  Dublin players to play for Wicklow as well now?  ::)

Wicklow boss Mick O'Dwyer is expected to hand Kilmacud Crokes defender Brian McGrath his Wicklow debut against his native Dublin in Sunday's O'Byrne Cup clash at Parnell Park.

The half back has been training with Wicklow in recent weeks and should see action at some stage against the reigning Leinster champions. McGrath is a brother of Crokes defender Nickey, who has played underage football for Dublin, and a son of Nickey senior, who recently stepped down as manager of the club's senior team.

Wicklow will be without dual star Leighton Glynn, who could be sidelined until March with a Gilmore's groin problem, while regular corner back Ciaran Hyland has also been ruled out after undergoing microsurgery on his knee.

Dublin will be without a host of regulars, including Ciaran Whelan, Barry Cahill, Conal Keaney and Mossy Quinn. Whelan is being rested after being in action with his club Raheny up until two weeks ago, Cahill injured his knee in the recent Dub Stars challenge, Keaney is currently in Australia, while Quinn has been excused owing to St. Vincent's involvement in the All-Ireland club championship.

MacDiarmada

Quote from: An Laoch on January 05, 2008, 02:46:27 PM
Just found out Dubs v Wicklow is live on Setanta Ireland at 5pm. Seems to have been kept quiet for some reason so I just thought I'd spread the word here.

Probably thought that it would affect the attendance at the game, actually surprised that the game was not in Croke Park to cater for the fans.

Rossfan

I presume your comment should be taken with  ;D at the end MacD?  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: MacDiarmada on January 05, 2008, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: An Laoch on January 05, 2008, 02:46:27 PM

Probably thought that it would affect the attendance at the game, actually surprised that the game was not in Croke Park to cater for the fans.

Was thinking that too.
Parnell Park was bursting at the seams tonight..  ;)
They really are the best fans in Ireland  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

INDIANA

better showing from dublin than i expected. Expected a bit more from Wicklow- Micko has some job on his hands there.

Zulu

Yeah I thought Dublin looked pretty good, but they kicked a good few wides and could have conceded 3 goals against a team they were well on top of. On the basis of tonight they still look like a team that will miss too many decent chances and concede too much to beat the very best in championship.

orangeman

Micko has bitten off more than he can chew here I fear !!  :D ;) ;) ??? ???

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zulu on January 05, 2008, 07:28:09 PM
Yeah I thought Dublin looked pretty good, but they kicked a good few wides and could have conceded 3 goals against a team they were well on top of. On the basis of tonight they still look like a team that will miss too many decent chances and concede too much to beat the very best in championship.

A lads, it was an experimental side with half the team playing their first games. How you can decide how they will fare in the championship based on that is beyond me. There were 4 or 5 lads there who wont get a sniff of a game in the league never mind the championship.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2008, 07:08:00 PM
Was thinking that too.
Parnell Park was bursting at the seams tonight..  ;)
They really are the best fans in Ireland  ::)

Lads its really reeking of desperation having a pop at the Dubs for not packing out Parnell Park for an O'Byrne first round game V Wicklow which is also on the telly!!

MacDiarmada / Laoislad, will ye be attending your own counties first round game?

I'd say half the lads who have a pop at the Dubs fans wont be attending any game this weekend.

So attendance wise, I dont thinks its fair to criticise.

That said, there were a gang of about 6 "dubs" in the top left of the stand sitting right behind us, drinking cans and smoking (one heavily pregnant) and roaring all kinds on filthy language, whilst surrounded by kids. One also roared at the top of his voice when Sherlock lost his footing "f**k you Jayo you black bastard". We actually moved to the seated area as the missus wasnt feeling well, being pregnant and all, and ended up sitting in a cloud of smoke with beer cans rolling underneath us.
I said to the missus on the way home that any of the Wicklow fans sitting nearby will go home saying the Dubs are knackers, and based on their experience last night it would be hard to argue.

Absolute f**king knackers, and didnt know any of the players bar Sherlock and Cluxton, not even the Brogans!! I'd like to think they were just filling in a void while the eircom league is on a break and will f**k off back to it come the summer. I hope to god thats the case.

Rant over, up the Dubs!  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Zulu

Of course you are right hhnb, I was really just referring to the similarities between that Dublin team and the Dublin teams of the past few years, i.e. looked like a very good team with a lot going for them but with some crucial flaws. I think they will definitely be there or there abouts but last night they conceded good sgoal coring opportunities to a Wicklow team that were also understrength. In addition when on top as Dublin were for most of the game they failed to hammer the nails into the coffin so to speak. Granted they did in the last 10-15 minutes but at that stage Wicklow were streaming forward and leaving big gaps at the back that Dublin could exploit.

his holiness nb

The defence was leaky but remembering there was only one defender from the championship team playing in position last night, I wouldnt worry too much about that.
I would have enough worries about the first choice defence without worrying about these lads.  :-[
Ask me holy bollix