McIver returns

Started by ExiledGael, August 12, 2007, 06:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

QuoteMy guess is he's played a blinder and put himself in a position of strength to take whatever steps necessary against non-performing, maggot-acting primadonnas and Donegal will be a force next year as a result.

People said that last year after the Cassidy and Boyle fiasco... better off out of it if you ask me. Unless he's in a position to get more money but from what I gather he isn't about the money so he should just take the Derry job with McGuckin and win the AI next year... easy!

loughshore lad

Quote from: screenexile on August 16, 2007, 11:40:54 AM
QuoteMy guess is he's played a blinder and put himself in a position of strength to take whatever steps necessary against non-performing, maggot-acting primadonnas and Donegal will be a force next year as a result.

People said that last year after the Cassidy and Boyle fiasco... better off out of it if you ask me. Unless he's in a position to get more money but from what I gather he isn't about the money so he should just take the Derry job with McGuckin and win the AI next year... easy!

Why would he want to go from one team of chokers to another team of chokers? Take off the oak leaf tinited glasses, Derry currently dont have the quality required to win the All Ireland - they have yet to beat a quality side at the business end of the championship. They have some fantastic players namely Doherty, Bradley and McCloy but after that they are at much the same level as a handful of other counties.

orangeman

I'd say the only other job he'd want would be the Tyrone job.

screenexile

QuoteWhy would he want to go from one team of chokers to another team of chokers? Take off the oak leaf tinited glasses, Derry currently dont have the quality required to win the All Ireland - they have yet to beat a quality side at the business end of the championship. They have some fantastic players namely Doherty, Bradley and McCloy but after that they are at much the same level as a handful of other counties.

Aye dead on! I'll chat to you this time next year ;)

J70

Quote from: orangeman on August 16, 2007, 11:17:50 AM
Sounds now like Brian isn't going back at all ?

According to Hogan Stand he's applying again for the job, which, assuming the county board has been encouraging him, means that it should just be a formality.

orangeman

Maybe and maybe not - nothing should surprise us any more. What's the story with Jim Mc Guniness ?

J70

I heard he's interested in the position. That's all I know so far. He managed a young Glenties side to a county championship two years ago.

orangeman

Would he not be TOO close to the current team / panel ?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Three men up for the job, McIver, Jim McGuinness and Charlie Mulgrew, with choices like that, please God let McIver resume commend.
Tbc....

ONeill

The only possible reason for McIvor not getting it might be the reasoning that, in recent years, the most successful managers have hit the pot of gold in their first year. At the same time, Brian is odds-on.

Charlie did well will limited resources in the Wetlands and could possibly add a wee bit of championship steel that Donegal have lacked recently.

McGuinness, now that'd be a shock.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

inisceithleann

Surely if the players want McIvor back then the job is his regardless of what the county board thinks?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 17, 2007, 11:13:23 AM
Surely if the players want McIvor back then the job is his regardless of what the county board thinks?

No. Thats like saying that after you hand in your notice at work and then you change your mind and all your mates want you back, that your employer has no say in the matter.
County board have final call on this one.
Tbc....

inisceithleann

Valid point but this isn't an employment issue, what sort of a dressing room would mulgrew or mcguinness walk into if the players deep down wanted McIvor? Surely the county board has a duty to consult with the players?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Fear ón Srath Bán

What side of Ballinderry Bridge is Mc Iver actually from lads, north or south? I always thought he was the Tyrone side, but he was described as a Derryman in one of the papers during the week (not that they're gospel or anything).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

He's a Tyrone man - Ardboe man actually living in Tyrone.