Super Dubs once again Biggest Crowd pullers

Started by Tankie, July 09, 2007, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: mannix on July 10, 2007, 08:00:19 AM
Lets see now, if Johnny has 1.1 million marbles and Tommo has 65,000 thousand marbles who has the most marbles.Remember now Tommo is from the country where marbles are easily played and Johnny is from a big town where even if it was easy to play they still would be useless.
Dangit,no matter how I divide or subtract Johnny still has more marbles.
But you'd have to be really stupid to think Johnny has 1.1m marbles.

Take out the culchies living in Dublin who support their own county, and take out the foreigners who have no interest, take out all the locals who have as much interest in (and often despise) the GAA as our orange friends up North and you get a fairer picture. Every county has some of these, but I've no doubt that Dublin has one of the highest percentages and of course by a distance the highest in actual numbers. Also if Croke Park had a 100,000 capacity there would be close to 100,000 at the Leinster Final.

There is no doubt that Dublin has great support and that Dublin supporters do contribute hugely to the coffers of the Leinster Council. Also the Dublin "summer support" get treated very unfairly compared to how the "summer supporters" in other counties get treated (i.e. if you're a Laois supporter who's not a club member and only been to a couple of games all year, you've a signficantly better chance of getting a ticket that your Dublin counterpart).

There is also no doubt that some other counties have terrific support too, and that country people contribute hugely in time and effort to many Dublin GAA clubs.

Gnevin

The whole population argument is flawed, it's not a case of build it and they will come . Dublin are still doing extremely well to be getting these numbers , it should be remember that not one of the famous 4 in a row games sold out at Croke Park which could only hold 60ish back then. So getting 70+ for a Offaly game that was never going to be lost is impressive
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

GrandMasterFlash

Shouldn't the number of GAA clubs in a county be factored into the attendance argument? That would be a useful metric when calculating the attendance statistic. I don't really buy into the 'Dublin has a million people therefore they should have 100K supporters'. There's parts of Dublin where GAA would be virtually non-existent with respect to other sports.  And there's the whole non-national factor also.

IolarCoisCuain

If it's just a question of sheer numbers going through the gate, why not scrap football entirely and follow Eamon Dunphy's suggestion - set up Dublin City FC to play Premiership soccer and then you'd have 50,000+ going through the gate every second week? But it's meant to be more than the bottom line, isn't it? Isn't this meant to be a cultural thing as well? Why don't we ever talk about that instead of revenue, revenue, revenue?

Gnevin

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 10, 2007, 09:55:51 AM
If it's just a question of sheer numbers going through the gate, why not scrap football entirely and follow Eamon Dunphy's suggestion - set up Dublin City FC to play Premiership soccer and then you'd have 50,000+ going through the gate every second week? But it's meant to be more than the bottom line, isn't it? Isn't this meant to be a cultural thing as well? Why don't we ever talk about that instead of revenue, revenue, revenue?
Because its revenue, revenue, revenue that allows us to do the cultural things . A Dublin City FC wouldn't get 50,000 as soccer is boring as shit and the thrill would wear off after a few years
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2007, 09:58:32 AM
Because its revenue, revenue, revenue that allows us to do the cultural things . A Dublin City FC wouldn't get 50,000 as soccer is boring as shit and the thrill would wear off after a few years

If Dubs drop off to level of about 10'th - 12'th best team in the country, they can't win Leinster, Dubs attending a Dublin match to drop by circa 60%, most country counties it would not result in as big a drop off, in the hard core counties it would hardly change their support at all.

IolarCoisCuain

A Dublin City FC wouldn't get 50,000 as soccer is boring as shit and the thrill would wear off after a few years

The Porterhouse Bar in Phibsboro - a fifteen minute walk from Croke Park itself - was showing Premiership soccer on the bar's main screen and the All-Ireland final in a back room on All-Ireland Football Final day. Every time I've gone to Fagan's in Drumcondra for the Sunday feed I see Premiership soccer on the big screen and GAA on the portable telly above the door, if you're lucky. I think they'd find their gates for their soccer alright.

Gnevin

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 10, 2007, 10:06:43 AM

If Dubs drop off to level of about 10'th - 12'th best team in the country, they can't win Leinster, Dubs attending a Dublin match to drop by circa 60%, most country counties it would not result in as big a drop off, in the hard core counties it would hardly change their support at all.
Thats strange i seem to remember very large crowds 1996-2002 and  2003,04 . No where near your magical 60%

Fishead_Sam

Actually down in Mayo listening to 98fm on the computer, I don't know why, used to live in Dublin. However the sh!te they are spouting about the Dubs is one of the reason that everyone turns on the Dubs, I know its a Dublin station, but you would never hear the likes of "we are going to hammer the sh!te out of so&so (Laois) at the weekend", a country station would use at best the real Culchie phrase when the certain they going to win "sure we quietly confident, that New York/London/Kilkenny{football} team got some handy players"  ;)

Well Dublin did win the AI in 1995 so I would expect a big following for a few years.

Try being decades away from success and still bring the Faithfull (not talking about Offaly here  ;)  ) legions all around the Country in their tens of thousands.

Gnevin

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 10, 2007, 10:10:55 AM

A Dublin City FC wouldn't get 50,000 as soccer is boring as shit and the thrill would wear off after a few years

The Porterhouse Bar in Phibsboro - a fifteen minute walk from Croke Park itself - was showing Premiership soccer on the bar's main screen and the All-Ireland final in a back room on All-Ireland Football Final day. Every time I've gone to Fagan's in Drumcondra for the Sunday feed I see Premiership soccer on the big screen and GAA on the portable telly above the door, if you're lucky. I think they'd find their gates for their soccer alright.
Every time ! Even in June,July and early August. They must be mad into soccer, what league are they watching ?

Gnevin

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 10, 2007, 10:15:15 AM
Actually down in Mayo listening to 98fm on the computer, I don't know why, used to live in Dublin. However the sh!te they are spouting about the Dubs is one of the reason that everyone turns on the Dubs, I know its a Dublin station, but you would never hear the likes of "we are going to hammer the sh!te out of so&so (Laois) at the weekend", a country station would use at best the real Culchie phrase when the certain they going to win "sure we quietly confident, that New York/London/Kilkenny{football} team got some handy players"  ;)

Well Dublin did win the AI in 1995 so I would expect a big following for a few years.

Try being decades away from success and still bring the Faithfull (not talking about Offaly here  ;)  ) legions all around the Country in their tens of thousands.

You can't listen to bandwagon radio stations in Dublin who "support" the Dubs ie come July are number 1 supporters .
So now your saying being decades away from a last Leinster which put Dublin not 10th or 12th but 24th . Make up your mind and stop trying to change your point when its proved wrong

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2007, 10:15:20 AM

Every time ! Even in June,July and early August. They must be mad into soccer, what league are they watching ?

A few years ago when Galway minors where playing in the AI(about 2 years ago), the special train was leaving early, so the Galway fans had to leave @ half-time in the senior game {so RTE shouldn't have been slagging them off, get your facts straight RTE} well the Galway Minor fans where watching the end of the second hald in Heuston Station in the Galway Hooker, where I was also watching, the second the game ended the barmen turned it over to some random non-league soccer, the crowd in the pub went ape-sh!te that they not showing the presentation, the barman said sure its over, until one very smart Galwayman shouted "sure the 3'rd quarters about to start" & the eejit turned the GAA back on, the whole pub nearly fell over with laughter.

Gnevin

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 10, 2007, 10:22:57 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2007, 10:15:20 AM

A few years ago when Galway minors where playing in the AI(about 2 years ago), the special train was leaving early, so the Galway fans had to leave @ half-time in the senior game {so RTE shouldn't have been slagging them off, get your facts straight RTE} well the Galway Minor fans where watching the end of the second hald in Heuston Station in the Galway Hooker, where I was also watching, the second the game ended the barmen turned it over to some random non-league soccer, the crowd in the pub went ape-sh!te that they not showing the presentation, the barman said sure its over, until one very smart Galwayman shouted "sure the 3'rd quarters about to start" & the eejit turned the GAA back on, the whole pub nearly fell over with laughter.
Wow that reminds me of.................. random bullshit story in  Mayo which proves f all but on the face of it makes it look like Mayo people don't like GAA . Random funny statement.  More BS . Point proved   ::) ::) ::)

INDIANA

Your just a tool INDIANA  How many times now have i heard your story about your experience with Laois fans as if i gave a f**k.I have said on numerous occasions every county has their fair share of bad eggs not least Laois,Just seems most posters can take a bit of banter not you though it seems
As for your comment about Laois fans being real angry gits......Eh ever hear the story about the pot calling the kettle black?

Playing the same record time and time again gets pedantic mate- with the amount of culchies i saw doing random drugs  at the oxygen festival last weekend- Ireland's drug problem is universal at this stage.
As for the comment about population-every county is full of bandwagon supporters just that countryfolk claim a holier than thou attitude because they come from a rural parish that you can't be a "real "Gaa fan unless you're a bogger. So they don't watch the Premiership in bogland- they won't watch the munster rugby team etc do us a favour. There are more players on the Irish soccer team from rural districts than from Dublin so play another record.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 10, 2007, 08:29:58 AM

Your just a tool INDIANA ::) How many times now have i heard your story about your experience with Laois fans as if i gave a f**k.I have said on numerous occasions every county has their fair share of bad eggs not least Laois,Just seems most posters can take a bit of banter not you though it seems
As for your comment about Laois fans being real angry gits......Eh ever hear the story about the pot calling the kettle black?

Don't agree, sounds like your making excuses for counties which do have a problem with some of their fans!
I have yet to hear a bad story involving a Donegal fan in my 20 odd years of going to inter-county matches, also would include Fermanagh fans and Monaghan and Antrim fans in that statement.
Tbc....