Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2018, 10:48:27 AM
We played Galway in Castlebar in the Qtr Final that year.
Donegal don't have a choice where they play Dublin at present (6.28) -
and nor do Dublin! Nor Kerry, nor Galway. All games in Super 8 between provincial champions fixed for Croke Park.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:50:25 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 10:45:34 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:34:25 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 10:20:03 AM
I think Joe Molloy came up with a good compromise yesterday evening on Off The Ball.
If you are in a group with Dublin, you have the option of playing them in Croke Park or another venue of your choice, which would probably be Clones for Donegal.
I think it should be Donegal's decision and it might not be the no-brainer some people think it is.
If they did choose Clones in that scenario, then they have no game in Croke Park during the Super 8s.
I think a lot of people are confused about the Super 8s.
It's one game at home, one game away, and one game in Croke Park.
For EVERYONE.
So, if you are in the Galway/Kerry group, you don't play any of your Croke Park games against Dublin.
Don't think this is as big an issue as people are making out, although I still think Donegal should have a choice.

If you are swinging towards they would chose CP, I would beg to differ.

To become an inter-county footballer,  you need more than talent, you need attitude and a will to win. If you present them 2 options and one of those options gives up a better chance of winning, like the Kildare footballers and Newbridge, I have no doubt in my mind they would choose Clones.

The attraction of CP has run it's course and Donegal would see themselves above "the day out in Croke Park, all footballers want to play there" brigrade. They have just won an Ulster, they now want an All-ireland and will choose the best opportunity to realise that.
I gave (almost) the very same idea as Molloy in a post yesterday.
Although, one important difference, Donegal choose Croke Park - Yes or No. But if No, then it's CCCC not Donegal that choose the venue. It's the "Croke Park game", not the "Donegal game". So CCCC will choose whatever non-Croke Park venue will gross the biggest receipts. In the case of Donegal-Dublin, that may well be Clones. But the likes of Limerick or Thurles might be the choice for others.

I agree that Donegal would most likely choose non-Croke Park, but they should have the choice. I remember when the qualifiers were first introduced, it looked like Roscommon would not get a Croker game despite winning Connacht and there was uproar.

CP was in it's pomp. Roscommon's mentality has evolved since then.

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 10:50:09 AM
If Dublin "did a Kildare" and chose Parnell Park as their home venue for the final Super 8 game
Pigs might fly too.
Hopefully they will use Parnell if we win our Round 4 game.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Gareth on June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM
Why has Dublin two home ties in the Super 8's & how do you come to the conclusion that this is Fair to the other Teams in the same Group?

Dublin, like every other team, are entitled to a game in Croke Park. And if they decide to forfeit their home advantage for a neutral venue that's their choice to make. I don't see the issue here.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

inthrough

Donegal are happy enough to play Dublin in Croke Park as they don't really harbour AI winning ambitions this year, especially with Paddy out. They really are at the developement stage & the poster who said they were too open at the back is right, they still have a way to go.

Getting to the Super 8's is big for them as they now get a chance to see how well their new style will hold up in the white heat of championship football against decent teams, the league doesn't really count. There is a really good squad of exciting young players there & if nothing else the Dublin game will be entertaining!

J70

I thought initially we would run them close for an hour, like this year's league game, before Dublin pulled away to a seven or eight point win. With Paddy out, that's hard to see now. We would have scored plenty with him, but where are those scores going to come from now with him and the markers following him out of the picture. If we throw Murphy up there, that weakens us in midfield, an area where Dublin are already very strong. We have plenty of young, scoring forwards, but there are no other big, scoring, ball-winning, target men like McBrearty and Murphy at this point. Other than Murphy he is the one irreplaceable player we have.

J70

On Croke Park, I haven't heard any rumblings of unrest from Donegal and they're probably happy enough to play there, but it is a bit ridiculous that  Dublin get two games there, including their supposed neutral-venue game against us. Would we have been granted a neutral-venue game in Ballybofey? Kerry in Killarney? Galway in Salthill? Just call it what is- two home games.

Jinxy

There is no neutral venue for anyone in the Super 8s.
It's home, away & Croke Park.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: J70 on June 28, 2018, 11:49:03 AM
On Croke Park, I haven't heard any rumblings of unrest from Donegal and they're probably happy enough to play there, but it is a bit ridiculous that  Dublin get two games there, including their supposed neutral-venue game against us. Would we have been granted a neutral-venue game in Ballybofey? Kerry in Killarney? Galway in Salthill? Just call it what is- two home games.

Kieran Cunningham who have good connections very vocal on twitter as has McGuinness this week. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Gareth

It's Plain an Simple Dublin has Two Games in the Super 8's in CP,

They have Donegal in 14th in CP & Team 3 in the 4th of Aug in CP which shouldn't be! ( it's basically Two HOME GAMES ).

Lets say that if Dublin entered into the Super 8's and had to Play Two Games away from home (WOULD THERE BE UP-ROAR "YES" WOULD THIS BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN) "NO".

So the structure is wrong for the other Teams in the Competition!!

I think that there is the $ factor here or something,

WHY WOULDN'T SOMEONE ASK THE HEAD OF THE GAA WHAT IS THERE THINKING BEHIND THIS FIXTURING?? 

Jinxy

No need to shout, Gareth.

Rossfan

As they say Rules is rules.
Passed by Congress Gareth.
Sin é.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 11:52:47 AM
There is no neutral venue for anyone in the Super 8s.
It's home, away & Croke Park.

CP is neutral for everyone except Dublin.

Maroon Manc

I'm not sure where Donegal & Kerry play their second game but I know Galway's second game will be away, if thats the case Donegal & Kerry too it doesn't seem like too much of advantage for winning the provincial championship.

Jinxy

But there isn't a 'neutral' round, that's the misconception.
Teams are deliberately being given the opportunity to play in Croke Park.
If there was an actual neutral round, other grounds around the country would be required.