"GAA is losing ground big time" - McGeeney

Started by Jinxy, March 22, 2018, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Geezer could do with coming out from his bubble for a few weeks. He's going a bit demented in there.

1. He believes that there are enough (suitable quality) players in every county in Ireland who want to forego their clubs for at least 6 months, to play county league football. No doubt he himself would have. But I think he's in the minority.

2. He believes that there are enough (suitable quality) players in every county in Ireland who will happily forego their every weekend of half the he year to travel Ireland playing football. I'm really not so sure he has thought this out. Lads we don't own you.

3. He is willing to ignore the cold hard truth that postponements in winter time are inevitable, and the only place to stack them is at the other end, which means going to war with the clubs.

4. He might as well hold up a placard saying "feck the Sigerson".

5. Maybe largely because it's how he was treated as a player, but he wouldn't appear to grasp that county boards have no money, and putting on a series of dead rubber fixtures across Ireland in winter is only going to exacerbate the situation.

Orchard park

Geezer will never be accused of club focus anyways

Throw ball

I was at a talk night in Derrynoose a couple of years ago. The panel included Peter Caravan, Martin McHugh , John McEntee. Geezer was in the audience. There was discussions on that night about GAA clubs losing players to Rugby. It was particularly relevant to Derrynoose as a small country club had a few young fellas playing rugby. One young dual player was with the Ulster Rugby academy and was not seemingly allowed to play any other sport. He was 15 or 16 at the time. He now plays for Armagh in rugby but does not play GAA as far as I know. Maybe Geezer listened to the discussion that night and has noticed increases in this trend.

Main Street

"big time"?  I hate that expression big time.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2018, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: shark on March 22, 2018, 01:39:00 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 22, 2018, 01:33:22 PM
Quote from: shark on March 22, 2018, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 12:08:21 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 12:05:54 PM
half Kidare is dubs now sure.

Naas is big enough to be supporting 2 vibrant clubs realistically. Look at what newbridge can do, but in fairness to Naas they are equally promoting hurling

2? Naas has a population of 25k.

and the majority are young families are they not.

How does Newbridge support Moorefield and Sarsfields then with a population of circa 23000

21000 in Mullingar and effectively 4 clubs pulling from it due to no parish rule. The rugby club are not majorly strong and don't pull huge numbers away from GAA. However, the very talented youngsters who are good at all sports often lean towards rugby. Quality rather than quantity. Conor O'Brien (Leinster), Conor Gilsenan (London Irish) and Mark Flanagan (Saracens) are all from Mullingar and were all outstanding footballers. O'Brien especially would be a huge addition to the Westmeath team right now.

A question re parish rule in Westmeath, is there no parish rule in Westmeath or is it just the fact that the 4 clubs are from the same parish?

None whatsoever. It's a free for all.

Really? So a young lad from Ballinagore can decide to play with Tyrellspass or Rochfortbridge?
yes
some clubs are very good at getting young lads and parents to switch clubs

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on March 22, 2018, 03:58:39 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 22, 2018, 01:55:22 PM
What may have prompted this is that there are a few lads on the Royal School Armagh team playing the Schools Cup last week, who have very obviously Irish names and a fair smattering are from a GAA background. There was a lot of coverage of the match in the area and it was certainly remarked upon to me about the names of the players.

Ireland win a Grand Slam for the third time in its history and it's all over the D4 based media, no big deal IMO.

McGeeney and his type of intercounty management need an all year round type role and with compacted leagues and if Armagh don't make the super 8's then the season could be over for him sooner than he'd like.

Does he have a 9 to 5 job?
Dunno but he was driving a decent Beemer last week.

David McKeown

Anecdotally I coach youth soccer in the Belfast and after the 09 slam there was a big drop in player numbers for a year or two. The local parents put it down to the growth of rugby. Be interesting to see in the next year or two whether it was coincidence or not
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

CJ2017

Jinxy on rugby in Meath, I would be interested in what you thought about Conor Nash who said he did have an academy contract on the table with Leinster before he left for Oz and Cillian O'Sullivan for Meath who's brother Hugh is on the Ireland U20 Rugby team.

Navan Rugby club made the U20 All Ireland Rugby final last year and their captain McKeever said
"It's unheard of for a Navan U20 team to go up and be in an All-Ireland final, it's usually for the likes of Lansdowne, Clontarf, Cork Con, Munsters and all those,"

Ashbourne has jumped to the top of the Leinster League Division 1A for the first time in the club's history (Oct 2017)
North Meath Rugby club was founded in 2007 too, I wonder should all of this cause a concern for Meath GAA county board?! What will it be like in 5 years' time?! looks like a competition, a battleground for sports?

http://www.the42.ie/navan-rugby-club-promotion-3325055-Apr2017/
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/looks-though-meath-gaa-lost-real-talent-rugby-138839
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/leinster-club-rugby-meath-boys-top-of-table-36265382.html

Rossfan

Sure the Meath crowd were playing rugby in Croke Park in 2010.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: David McKeown on March 23, 2018, 01:02:01 AM
Anecdotally I coach youth soccer in the Belfast and after the 09 slam there was a big drop in player numbers for a year or two. The local parents put it down to the growth of rugby. Be interesting to see in the next year or two whether it was coincidence or not
Rugby obviously popular at the city grammar schools but we have found their numbers poor at minis level. Quins better than Malone but it is surprising considering location and catchment.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 08:23:57 PM

Exactly. His opinion is close to worthless.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Somebody needs to tell Geezer there are limits to what you can do with amateur athletes.

David McKeown

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 23, 2018, 09:11:45 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 23, 2018, 01:02:01 AM
Rugby obviously popular at the city grammar schools but we have found their numbers poor at minis level. Quins better than Malone but it is surprising considering location and catchment.

Yeah my involvement is currently with 18/19 year olds at the time I was running the league and but was still only dealing with 11-19 year olds so I've no idea if it had my impact on younger ones.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2018, 11:16:40 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2018, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 08:23:57 PM

Exactly. His opinion is close to worthless.

Unlike us  lot here ;D ;D

Actually no. I'd say the vast majority would have a more holistic, complete view of the GAA the McGeeney.