Ryle Nugent steps down as RTE Head of Sport

Started by Jinxy, February 26, 2018, 04:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 27, 2018, 08:24:02 PM
Quote from: Seany on February 27, 2018, 02:53:46 PM
Just one problem with TV3.  Viewers in Ni cannot get that station, so Ireland's second city would not get to watch GAA games.  Imagine the furore about that!  Part of the GAA deal with BBC initially was that BBCNI would be able to get the games into areas not covered by RTE in the analogue days.  Then, BBC did all the games, including the Ai and semi finals, regardless who was in it.
Not true. I can get it perfectly. Indeed over half the population of the north can get it. Also coverage is there in much of Belfast but there are some reception blackspots.

It's not available on the Sky platform ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 27, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 27, 2018, 08:36:19 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 27, 2018, 08:24:02 PM
Just one problem with TV3.  Viewers in Ni cannot get that station, so Ireland's second city would not get to watch GAA games.  Imagine the furore about that!  Part of the GAA deal with BBC initially was that BBCNI would be able to get the games into areas not covered by RTE in the analogue days.  Then, BBC did all the games, including the Ai and semi finals, regardless who was in it.
Not true. I can get it perfectly. Indeed over half the population of the north can get it. Also coverage is there in much of Belfast but there are some reception blackspots.

It's not available on the Sky platform ?
Terrestrial only i.e. Saorview. Unless you can source yourself a southern Sky subscription.

I'm hit or miss with TV3 and indeed RTÉ from the South. Must be the atmospheric conditions.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bord na Mona man

It might be no advantage.
It is possible that Ryle Nugent in wanting to be impartial was less inclined to bid heavily for rugby coverage.
Had he outbid TV3 for the 6 Nations, he'd have been accused of being D4 centric so-and-so.

McBennett will no doubt face similar accusations. If the Sunday Game panellists upgrade from tap water to Mi-wadi orange, it'll be because there's a pork-barrelling, gah head in charge of sport.

I sense most sports have a disgruntled fanbase when it comes to coverage. On League of Ireland forums, fans constantly fume over poor tv exposure. And that's despite all evidence pointing towards it having a small niche audience.

All that said, if he chops out some of the problematic Sunday Game pundits, he'd be making major inroads.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 26, 2018, 11:40:54 AM
It is possible that Ryle Nugent in wanting to be impartial was less inclined to bid heavily for rugby coverage.
Had he outbid TV3 for the 6 Nations, he'd have been accused of being D4 centric so-and-so.

McBennett will no doubt face similar accusations. If the Sunday Game panellists upgrade from tap water to Mi-wadi orange, it'll be because there's a pork-barrelling, gah head in charge of sport.

I sense most sports have a disgruntled fanbase when it comes to coverage. On League of Ireland forums, fans constantly fume over poor tv exposure. And that's despite all evidence pointing towards it having a small niche audience.

All that said, if he chops out some of the problematic Sunday Game pundits, he'd be making major inroads.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-seasons-of-sundays-in-their-own-words-1.1476526

"And so it goes. From not being able to send two cameras to a game in the mid-'70s, 'The Sunday Game' now covers close to 100 games a year in some shape or form. The biggest complaint the staff hear is the same now as it was then.

PB: "Not enough coverage.
RTÉ never show our county."

ML: "Ye only show the big boys."

DC: "Ye're always anti-our county."

PB: "I can understand it in some ways.
"That's the way the media works, not just on The Sunday Game.
"It's the same in print, the same on radio – the big teams get the most coverage. There's very few counties in the country that we haven't shown live. We've done the Waterford footballers, the Tipperary footballers, Sligo, all of them."

DC: "It can be politically awkward because people take so much offence on behalf of their own county. I went to RTÉ from Kerry.
"The night before I came up for my interview, I was in a house with Mike Neeson who was the chairman of Dr Crokes at the time.
"And there were people making fun of what Anne Doyle said on the news or giving out about Michael Lyster said on The Sunday Game.
"And I remember thinking of that when I started on the show – that no matter how good you were or how even-handed you were, people were still going to take offence.
"They were still going to be annoyed. Kerry people would still think you were against them because you showed Tomás Ó Sé or Paul Galvin doing something they shouldn't have.
"Every county thinks you're against them"

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 26, 2018, 11:40:54 AM

I think that's a bit of a reach, to be fair.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Real Talk

Have no problem at all getting TV 3  in Mid Ulster and I like their TV AM morning show

People need to get off their backside and if their able and go and watch their favourite team ..... nothin' beat being there !!!!!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Real Talk on April 29, 2018, 08:11:52 PM

Have no problem at all getting TV 3  in Mid Ulster and I like their TV AM morning show

People need to get off their backside and if their able and go and watch their favourite team ..... nothin' beat being there !!!!!!

But what if their favourite team is knocked out early and they wanted to watch the remaining games?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.