Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Hello all, I've  said it many times but it's way past time to have 2 refs.  How in the name of god is one man supposed to manage that mess, linesmen and umpires Not the answer.  Big difference I saw there was that galway easily broke through Mayo defense while Mayo were too slow and ponderous and galway turned them over easily.

I think Oconnor should get at least a month, intentionally elbowing someone to the head is not acceptable..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

OgraAnDun

Pulling jerseys or impeding a run is not included as a black card offence.

joemamas

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 11, 2018, 05:55:35 PM
Quote from: joemamas on February 11, 2018, 05:54:08 PM
Quote from: inthrough on February 11, 2018, 04:19:50 PM
There isn't a field sport in the world that would put up with what went on at the end of that sorry excuse for a game. The fact that no one got the line for the first tussle meant that a second was inevitable.

The sooner red cards are handed out for participants in free for alls, even if that means half a dozen going, the sooner this rubbish will stop.

It is embarrassing full stop.

We witnessed a very incompetent referee today. How the Galway #3 did not get a black card for a clear pull back on McLoughlin who was gone by him was mind boggling.
Conroy literally pulled Ao Shea along the ground by the back of his jersey, ref was looking straight at it. How he lasted as long as he did on the field was mystery.

Cilian o Connor probably deserved to see red, as did his brother.but COC was fouled every time he went near the ball.
A O Shea dragged down in square, two stupid umpires could not tell the ref

None of the above complaints cost Mayo the game.
Galway were better, full stop.
Their game plan is simple, play with three forwards, Comer and two other fast ones.
Thank God Shane Walsh is as selfish as he is, otherwise game would have been over at halftime.

As for Mayo, Farr said it all re our forwards.
Maybe we did not want to show our hand , maybe, big maybe re forward play.
We are missing seven potential starters.

I have said this before, but it probably requires a tread of its own, the coaching or lack thereof of Mayo underage forwards over the past six to eight years is coming home to roost.
Who was in charge of that debacle.

We might beat Kildare, maybe Donegal.
All in all depressing  stuff

Unless I'm mistaken, you need to put two arms around a man and drag him to the ground to receive a black card.

Too many fans at matches expect black cards to be given out for any sort of rough or cynical play.

Your joking right, if I drag a guy down with one hand it is ok.
Galway #3 played the man , the ball was gone over his head.
I will apologize in advance if I am wrong.

Mac2

Galway moved the ball a lot quicker and had the legs on Mayo when they ran at them.
Comer, Brannigan and Walsh all on top of their men.

Some of the Mayo lateral stuff was hard to watch, over back, back again..
There's few Mayo lads on that team that are just not up to it. Cafferky is finished, Coen is far too slow and I can't see Gibbons having the mobility for championship either.

Doesn't look like we've found any new players so far up to the level required, so we're back to the same crew again with no guarantees that they'll be as good as before what with serious injuries and all.

Less said about the end the better, COC taking out his frustration from not being able to kick the ball over the bar, probably as well he sits the next one out.

Gael85

There isn't a field sport in the world that would put up with what went on at the end of that sorry excuse for a game. The fact that no one got the line for the first tussle meant that a second was inevitable.

The sooner red cards are handed out for participants in free for alls, even if that means half a dozen going, the sooner this rubbish will stop.

You are correct on that rule. If we were giving black cards for pulling a players arm we have games reduced to 7 a side. Its a grey area which should be looked into though.

We witnessed a very incompetent referee today. How the Galway #3 did not get a black card for a clear pull back on McLoughlin who was gone by him was mind boggling.
Conroy literally pulled Ao Shea along the ground by the back of his jersey, ref was looking straight at it. How he lasted as long as he did on the field was mystery.

Cilian o Connor probably deserved to see red, as did his brother.but COC was fouled every time he went near the ball.

Their game plan is simple, play with three forwards, Comer and two other fast ones.
Thank God Shane Walsh is as selfish as he is, otherwise game would have been over at halftime.

I have said this before, but it probably requires a tread of its own, the coaching or lack thereof of Mayo underage forwards over the past six to eight years is coming home to roost.

Unless I'm mistaken, you need to put two arms around a man and drag him to the ground to receive a black card.

Too many fans at matches expect black cards to be given out for any sort of rough or cynical play.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: joemamas on February 11, 2018, 06:19:18 PM

Looking at the image I posted, it doesn't specify two arms but we had a talk from McEnaney when the black card was first introduced and I'm fairly sure that was the impression I came away with. I remember O'Rourke (Louth manager at the time) complaining about Dublin finding a loophole in the rule whereby two men would wrap a player up but not let him go to ground (like the choke tackle in rugby) therefore cynically stopping play without getting a black card. I could well be mistaken re the two hands thing.

blast05

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 11, 2018, 06:39:21 PM

Looking at the image I posted, it doesn't specify two arms but we had a talk from McEnaney when the black card was first introduced and I'm fairly sure that was the impression I came away with. I remember O'Rourke (Louth manager at the time) complaining about Dublin finding a loophole in the rule whereby two men would wrap a player up but not let him go to ground (like the choke tackle in rugby) therefore cynically stopping play without getting a black card. I could well be mistaken re the two hands thing.

At first you say this: "Too many fans at matches expect black cards to be given out for any sort of rough or cynical play."
And then you admit you're not sure what the rule is..

Comedy.

Just read the damn text: http://www.gaa.ie/features/feature/gaelic-football-rule-changes-116057/
There is nothing about 1 hand or 2 hands or however many hands

whitey

It's a black card if you pull him down, not it you pull him back

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 11, 2018, 06:16:55 PM

I seem to remember Richie Feeney getting the line inside the first minute of an All-Ireland club final between Castlebar and St Vincent's for impeding a run. Which is the black card rule in a nutshell, of course.

Nobody really knows how it works, and the punishment it delivers is harsher than the supposedly higher card, the yellow. It's a nonsense, and should be done away with.

A sin bin is the best way to deal with cynical play. There were already rules in existence for dealing with violent play and all the black card has done is confuse referees.

Which brings us to that unfortunate business in Salthill earlier today. The ref wasn't up to it. He had two early incidents when he could have shown he understood what was going on by carding Seán Andy or Cillian, or both, but he bottled it. The players realised he was soft and upped the ante until the boxing started. That's what always happens. Gaelic football is a bloody hard game to ref to begin with. This fella made a bags of it. There we are.

Cunny Funt

Galway good value for that win, Mayo with just 0-1 from play from their starting six forwards is simply not good enough. Poor form by Cillan O'Connor with that dirty hit. I have a feeling that Mayo will win May meeting and this game will be long forgotten then.

tyroneman

'Impeding a run' can fall under the deliberately body checking one.....

OgraAnDun

Quote from: blast05 on February 11, 2018, 07:42:11 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 11, 2018, 06:39:21 PM

At first you say this: "Too many fans at matches expect black cards to be given out for any sort of rough or cynical play."
And then you admit you're not sure what the rule is..

Comedy.

Just read the damn text: http://www.gaa.ie/features/feature/gaelic-football-rule-changes-116057/
There is nothing about 1 hand or 2 hands or however many hands

Not sure whether it has to be one hand or two hands to drag someone down  ::) Comedy alright, you need to get down to the open mic night at your local bar if you think that's hilarious. Maybe you'd be a good enough lad to 'read the damn' post. I don't consider myself to be one of the people at the match baying for a black card after a mistimed shoulder.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: tyroneman on February 11, 2018, 08:04:00 PM

'Impeding a run' can fall under the deliberately body checking one.....

Of course, but not through pulling a jersey or an arm.

Dubhaltach

Atrocious performance from Mayo. We were completely out of ideas when it came to breaking through the Galway blanket, while at the opposite end Galway seemed to find gaps in our defence with ease.

As we were missing 8 starters from the All Ireland final, I wouldn't be pushing any panic buttons but at the same time it's clear that our panel players beyond the first 15/16 are just not at the required level. The era after this great team fades away is looking pretty bleak at the moment.

A few points on today,

Cillian now has a few weeks without any games, he needs to use this time wisely and get his head right. That red card has been coming for a while now. I'm all for using cuteness to gain an advantage but he has become very obvious and has developed a reputation which will get into referee's heads.

Jason Gibbons is an honest player who always gives his all but he has been around for years now and come championship, he has never made an impact. It's difficult to see how last year, management didn't deem him good enough for a place on the panel yet this year, they started him for the first 3 matches of the league. I know that both Tom and Seamie have been unavailable but surely these games would have been ideal to try out younger players.

Conor Loftus needs to spend a bit of time in the gym. He was pushed off the ball a few times today and looked like a minor at times. He is a very talented player but today's performance would be a bit concerning.

Finally, how many Gaelic football matches descend into brawls in injury time nowadays? It's a complete farce at this stage. Any team carrying a lead into the last few minutes would be mad not to start one as the benefits far outweigh the negative consequences. I'm not complaining about Galway here as I hope we would have done the same had we been in the lead but something seriously needs to be done. Immediate red cards, a time-clock, and a harsher punishment for preventing a quick free all need to be looked at.

trileacman

Red cards are light enough. I've seen far worse done on a pitch. They're red cards but don't deserve the howls of consternation some people are making.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014