Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: whitey on January 29, 2018, 09:14:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2018, 07:27:22 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2018, 02:30:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2018, 02:21:27 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2018, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on January 28, 2018, 11:30:22 PM

Here is me imaging Mayo's starting full forward line scored 4-27 from play in 5 championship matches in Croker park last season!!

Actually I had a look at Mayo's starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (no midfielders or half backs), and they averaged 12 points from play per game in the championship last year!!

Galway starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (again no midfielders or half backs) and they average 8 points from play in the championship last year!!

So Tyrone forwards must be on the up if they are only slightly worse than Mayo's forwards! ;)

Yes, but Mayo couldn't put away a Galway team there for the taking last June in Salthill, missed chance after chance after chance v Derry in C'bar and struggled to overcome an inferior Kerry side. Their best forward in 2017 was in his 30s and, damningly, Dublin won the AI with 45% possession. Although with a probable inferior defensive unit than what Mayo have now, Galway won 2 AIs because of what they had up front. Mayo are a very solid and hard-working side but it's knocking too much out of them to earn their scores against the stronger teams.

God, Galway people still harping on about forwards they had nearly 20 years ago.  ;D

No. I'm harping on about the forwards Mayo don't have now.  :-\

But we have forwards. How otherwise do we get so far every year? Einstein!

Mayos tally in September was the highest tally for a losing team in 40 years.....and that against the greatest team in the history of the game

The Kerry 70s team... sure theyre old men now

macdanger2

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 29, 2018, 08:24:56 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 29, 2018, 08:01:11 PM
Where's Fergal Boland this year? He looked very good in the league last year albeit a bit light.

Was hurling with Tooreen until last weekend so will probably see him against Kerry. Apparently he was our standout player in a challenge game vs Corofin on Saturday.

Cheers

SouthDublinBro

Maroon Manc

I've always thought Mayo were a forward short of winning an AI but that can't be said of last year, 10 points from play for Moran, COC, Doherty McLaughlin is a great return and would assume a lot more than the previous finals.

The difference was that Dublin were bringing McMenamon, Brogan, Flynn, Costello & Connolly off the bench compared to Drake, Loftus, Kirby, Coen & D O'Connor.

Dinny Breen

Is McManus available for Monaghan this weekend?
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Considering his general physical state, I'd hope that Conor is only used sparingly in the league. I heard an interview with him on OTB some weeks ago. He said he had more issues than usual with his hips in the 2017 league campaign and played some games while unfit, which ended up taking more toll and more rehab work.

I'd say the Monaghan team should be fresh enough for the Kildare game after their sporting encounter with the gentlemanly Mayo, who indeed do embody the (almost forgotten) true corinthian spirit of the GAA.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2018, 12:02:38 PM
Considering his general physical state, I'd hope that Conor is only used sparingly in the league. I heard an interview with him on OTB some weeks ago. He said he had more issues than usual with his hips in the 2017 league campaign and played some games while unfit, which ended up taking more toll and more rehab work.

I'd say the Monaghan team should be fresh enough for the Kildare game after their sporting encounter with the gentlemanly Mayo, who indeed do embody the (almost forgotten) true corinthian spirit of the GAA.

For finals. Sure it's all about taking part  ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2018, 12:02:38 PM

Good for Kildare if he's out but I like seeing the top stars up close and personal and our shit-hole is one ground where that is possible.

Dublin Joe is the referee Sunday..

his last visit to Newbridge
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

I did note that the Monaghan V Kildare game will be held in the celestial environs of Newbridge GAA.

Do they still have that 'Michéal O'Heir Commentary Box' there? hardly big enough for the great man to fit  inside. More like the groundsman found 2 abandoned dog houses at the local dump and stuck them together.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2018, 01:18:29 PM
I did note that the Monaghan V Kildare game will be held in the celestial environs of Newbridge GAA.

Do they still have that 'Michéal O'Heir Commentary Box' there? hardly big enough for the great man to fit  inside. More like the groundsman found 2 abandoned dog houses at the local dump and stuck them together.
If it wasn't for the 2 Lehman Brothers Newbridge would be a jewel amongst GAA grounds
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Dublin, Monaghan to win and a draw between Donegal and Galway. For the big one the heart says Mayo, head doesn't know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Games very hard to call in Div one this weekend.

Mayo v Kerry - Mayo got a hard earned away win last Sunday but its MacHale Park where they had trouble in recent years in the NFL. Kerry meanwhile were lucky enough to win against Donegal while they are missing a number of first choice players more so than Mayo.

Kildare v Monaghan - The availability of Conor McManus will likely swing this game. kildare must win their home games to stand any chance of staying up how they recover from a very poor 2nd half against Dublin will be a deciding factor.

Tyrone v Dublin - Home advantage should count for something and sure to be reaction from Tyrone after that round 1 defeat and not forgetting the trimming they took off Dublin in their last game. The league encounter last year was a draw if that counts for anything this weekend?

Donegal v Galway - Great win for Galway last weekend can they back that up with another win here? playing this game in Letterkenny helps their cause as Donegal unlike Ballybofey don't have a great record there.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

cornetto

Mayo not great at home, but kerry defence poor against donegal,
Mayo win.
Kildare need to win this one and in fairness were very good in the first half and could have had another couple of goals,
Kildare win.
Tyrone, Dublin to be a feisty affair,Tyrone hurting from last week and home support to shade a tight game.
Donegal don't have a great record in letterkenny but done enough in killarney to suggest they are more attack minded.
Galway are not bad on the road but home advantage to swing this one.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2018, 10:07:37 AM
I've always thought Mayo were a forward short of winning an AI but that can't be said of last year, 10 points from play for Moran, COC, Doherty McLaughlin is a great return and would assume a lot more than the previous finals.

The difference was that Dublin were bringing McMenamon, Brogan, Flynn, Costello & Connolly off the bench compared to Drake, Loftus, Kirby, Coen & D O'Connor.
Mayo get All Stars for defenders. The Dubs get them for midfielders and forwards. Theres a lesson there. Mayo just need a small improvement in scoring averages to make the winners stand
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you