Author Topic: Paraic Duffy to Stand Down  (Read 3321 times)

yellowcard

• View Profile
Re: Paraic Duffy to Stand Down
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
I see Dick Clerkin asking a question on twitter asking whether your GAA club is in better health financially, organisationally and infrastructure wise. Given his Monaghan audience I think it is an example of confirmation bias from Dick. Monaghan clubs relative to the size of the county have received large levels of funding, in fact they must have the hughest proprtion of clubs with stands in Ireland. McCague, Duffy and McKenna have all had high ranking positions within the GAA and they have undoubtedly benefitted from that.

GAA clubs on the whole have improved drastically over the last generation in terms of infrastructure but the running costs have spiralled upwards also and it's the clubs who are ultimately paying for a select few such as county managers and the army of backroom people that go along with them. Increased levies from county boards and clubs now compulsory forced to fund raise on behalf of the county are new disguised methods of paying the wages of the 5% whilst the 95% do it as a sense of duty.

He also conveniently chooses to ignore the problem of decreased participation levels at adult senior level.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: Paraic Duffy to Stand Down
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »
Completely agree with LoneShark and AZ on this. I didn't have to time to get involved earlier but they've made the relevant points. Inter county is great but it's only the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake. We should never, ever lose sight of that but I believe we have and that drift has sped up under Duffy's watch.

Getting kids playing the games is a far bigger barometer of success than attendance but the falling attendances are due to the football championship in particular becoming more and more meaningless bar or the Ulster teams and 5 or 6 others. Meaningless a bit strong perhaps but they're losing some of their appeal as we storm towards semi professionalism.