Portadown to become a GAA Mecca!

Started by T Fearon, August 02, 2017, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on August 03, 2017, 05:28:18 PM
What relevance has Portadown Town Centre got to this development which will be on the outskirts of the town boundary and the best part of two miles from the town centre?

Portadown Town Centre which has more than a few long established catholic businsses which have existed for generations, is like a lot of other town centres,struggling, particularly with the nearby large retail park, Rushmere. The development of the People's Park at a cost of £5m has brought a lot of people back into that part of the  town (for decades considered to be off limits for Protestant/Unionists), Ballina folk come up and are heartily welcomed to the Annual Country Comes to Town Festival, and life in the town is immeasurably better than in the old days,when I had to take to my heels on a few occasions to avoid a hiding.This is another positive development.

Dunnes closing in the High Street Mall is an awful blow though. It's a disgrace that Rushmere gets to provide free parking but the town centres have to charge for it. It's almost like they're trying to strangle the towns.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: T Fearon on August 03, 2017, 05:28:18 PM
What relevance has Portadown Town Centre got to this development which will be on the outskirts of the town boundary and the best part of two miles from the town centre?

Portadown Town Centre which has more than a few long established catholic businsses which have existed for generations, is like a lot of other town centres,struggling, particularly with the nearby large retail park, Rushmere. The development of the People's Park at a cost of £5m has brought a lot of people back into that part of the  town (for decades considered to be off limits for Protestant/Unionists), Ballina folk come up and are heartily welcomed to the Annual Country Comes to Town Festival, and life in the town is immeasurably better than in the old days,when I had to take to my heels on a few occasions to avoid a hiding.This is another positive development.

You clearly escaped, who was chasing your portly self? Long John Silver? Douglas Bader?

lurganblue

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2017, 08:44:03 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 03, 2017, 12:08:13 AM
I'm guessing neither Davitt Park or anywhere else in N Armagh has had the same level of infrastructural support from the County Board than the likes of Crossmaglen in S Armagh or the Athletic Grounds/Callanbridge in mid Armagh. This project is long overdue,but nonetheless welcome

I'm open to correction but I think a lot, if not all, the work done and being done at Davitt Park has been self funded

Plugging away. New building due to open soon. Looks well. Obviously not up to hosting county games yet.

Is this site wher St Malachy's play? Will they have to move?

T Fearon

Yes.Its also where Tir Na Nog GFC played all their home matches from the mid 70s to mid 80s before Ballyoran was developed.Armagh also played Derry there in a Senior challenge game in 1983 (there was no changing rooms in those days!).I always thought it was a shame to have separate Gaelic football and hurling clubs in Portadown,given the relatively small GAA community.Maybe this will be the catalyst for a merger.

Harold Disgracey

I remember those games from the 70s/8Os and the Derry game well. I would have been there with both my grandas. I also recall playing a few matches there for the school, conversely when I played underage for St Malachys we played our games at the school!

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on August 04, 2017, 07:32:54 PM
Yes.Its also where Tir Na Nog GFC played all their home matches from the mid 70s to mid 80s before Ballyoran was developed.Armagh also played Derry there in a Senior challenge game in 1983 (there was no changing rooms in those days!).I always thought it was a shame to have separate Gaelic football and hurling clubs in Portadown,given the relatively small GAA community.Maybe this will be the catalyst for a merger.
Is Niamh cinn Óir still involved with Tír  na nÓg?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: Rois on August 02, 2017, 05:15:47 PM
This is the ideal crowdfunding project - sell a brick or sell a name on the gate for a certain value.

Tony is sponsoring the gate so anyone who wants to go in will have to get past him first.
If you were any use you'd be playing.