galway v kerry all ireland quarter final

Started by cornetto, July 23, 2017, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

I actually hope against Galways nature that they go and close the game down! Playing open football is ok against a developing Donegal side. But against Kerry it's a Licence to hand out All Stars to their forward line.

seafoid

Quote from: Taylor on July 24, 2017, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 01:50:59 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 24, 2017, 01:46:22 PM
Looking forward to a really open game.
If it is a shootout then then there can be only one winner.

In any game there can only be one winner. Unless it's a draw, and then there's no winner.

Or if its abandoned. Then there's no winner either
Or if it's puke football. Everyone loses
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2017, 02:14:54 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 24, 2017, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 01:50:59 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 24, 2017, 01:46:22 PM
Looking forward to a really open game.
If it is a shootout then then there can be only one winner.

In any game there can only be one winner. Unless it's a draw, and then there's no winner.

No Nordie county involved so safe enough on that count

Or if its abandoned. Then there's no winner either
Or if it's puke football. Everyone loses

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2017, 02:08:42 PM
I actually hope against Galways nature that they go and close the game down! Playing open football is ok against a developing Donegal side. But against Kerry it's a Licence to hand out All Stars to their forward line.

This Galway team's nature is defensive football, don't let a few solos by Walsh or bullock runs by Comer fool you. This is a match-up with two teams more preoccupied with defending than attacking.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2017, 01:42:07 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 24, 2017, 12:08:44 PM
Kerry have to win the Connaught championship to get to the final, they will destroy Galway, who are too open, another easy run for the Kingdom, as it always has been..... 

Kerry V Tyrone or Dublin.
A -it's CONNACHT
B- Donegal and Cork showed them weak Connacht teams a thing or 2.

A - The usual English spelling in Ireland since the Gaelic revival is Connacht, the spelling of the disused Irish singular. The official English spelling during English and British rule was the anglicisation Connaught, pronounced /kɒnɔːt/ or /kɒnət/.[13] This was used for the Connaught Rangers in the British Army; in the title of Queen Victoria's son Arthur, Duke of Connaught; and the Connaught Hotel, London, named after the Duke in 1917. Usage of the Connaught spelling is now in decline. State bodies use Connacht, for example in Central Statistics Office census reports since 1926,[14] and the name of the Connacht–Ulster European Parliament constituency of 1979–2004,[15][16][17] although Connaught occurs in some statutes.[18][19] Among newspapers, the Connaught Telegraph (founded 1830) retains the anglicised spelling in its name, whereas the Connacht Tribune (founded 1909) uses the Gaelic. Connacht Rugby who represent the region and are based in Galway, use the Gaelic spelling also.[20]  - I apologies, predictive text on phone.

2. Yes, Connacht is a lot stronger since Mayo's 5 in a row, however, Kerry are in the top 3 teams in country, people talk about the gap between the top 4 or 6 or 8, I believe there is a big gap between the top 3 and top 8 say. Anyway we shall see Sunday.

Syferus

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 24, 2017, 02:23:12 PM
Kerry have to win the Connaught championship to get to the final, they will destroy Galway, who are too open, another easy run for the Kingdom, as it always has been..... 

A -it's CONNACHT

A - The usual English spelling in Ireland since the Gaelic revival is Connacht, the spelling of the disused Irish singular. The official English spelling during English and British rule was the anglicisation Connaught, pronounced /kɒnɔːt/ or /kɒnət/.[13] This was used for the Connaught Rangers in the British Army; in the title of Queen Victoria's son Arthur, Duke of Connaught; and the Connaught Hotel, London, named after the Duke in 1917. Usage of the Connaught spelling is now in decline. State bodies use Connacht, for example in Central Statistics Office census reports since 1926,[14] and the name of the Connacht–Ulster European Parliament constituency of 1979–2004,[15][16][17] although Connaught occurs in some statutes.[18][19] Among newspapers, the Connaught Telegraph (founded 1830) retains the anglicised spelling in its name, whereas the Connacht Tribune (founded 1909) uses the Gaelic. Connacht Rugby who represent the region and are based in Galway, use the Gaelic spelling also.[20]  - I apologies, predictive text on phone.

2. Yes, Connacht is a lot stronger since Mayo's 5 in a row, however, Kerry are in the top 3 teams in country, people talk about the gap between the top 4 or 6 or 8, I believe there is a big gap between the top 3 and top 8 say. Anyway we shall see Sunday.

Have you watched Mayo play this year? Or last?

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2017, 02:25:26 PM

A -it's CONNACHT

Have you watched Mayo play this year? Or last?

Yes, they are the most televised GAA team in the last 20 years, iv seen all their games this year and last year including the two in the flesh. Good team but not as good as Kerry, far from it, plus we will have now the annual Mayo for Sam followed by the inevitable defeat.

I think Mayo are not as good this year as the last few years. Bottle up O Connor, O Shea and couple of others and its game over. 

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2017, 02:20:44 PM

This Galway team's nature is defensive football, don't let a few solos by Walsh or bullock runs by Comer fool you. This is a match-up with two teams more preoccupied with defending than attacking.
They were the top scorers in D2 and provided they get over the first 15 minutes they tend to score frequently.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2017, 02:54:31 PM

They were the top scorers in D2 and provided they get over the first 15 minutes they tend to score frequently.
At the same time while Galway are supposedly defensive - time and again in games the full back line are left man on man.
It was highlighted briefly on the Sunday Game last night (only saw a snippet of it).
They do withdraw bodies out from the full forward line back towards midfield but often don't get bodies far enough back the pitch to help out what is clearly the weakest line in the team.
You might be able to get away with this to a certain extent if you have 3 solid man markers but Galway don't have even one of them at present unfortunately.
I think the team needs to have a full time sweeper. It can cause its own problems further out the field sure but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway weren't actually that defensive against Donegal. They didn't even have a sweeper back and left 3 forwards up almost the whole time. It was pretty much man on man at the back.

What they did do more though was kick the ball into the forwards quicker and then got up in support instead of handpassing it slowly up the field.

That said I think they need to go more defensive against Kerry. Think it would be crazy not to.

Maroon Manc

For Galway to have a chance Kerry would have to have a serious off day and that won't happen. Lets hope we can give them some sort of a game and then its back to the drawing board for KW over the winter to try and come up with a serious structure to protect that full backline going forward. Anytime quick ball is delivered into the oppositions full forward line Galway are in serious trouble, Galway have to play far more cautiously otherwise like in 2014 the game will be out of reach very quickly.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 24, 2017, 04:43:48 PM
For Galway to have a chance Kerry would have to have a serious off day and that won't happen. Lets hope we can give them some sort of a game and then its back to the drawing board for KW over the winter to try and come up with a serious structure to protect that full backline going forward. Anytime quick ball is delivered into the oppositions full forward line Galway are in serious trouble, Galway have to play far more cautiously otherwise like in 2014 the game will be out of reach very quickly.
Yeah Kerry will let quick ball inside all day long. Galway are better against teams that run the ball instead of delivering early ball.

From the Bunker

A -it's CONNACHT

Kerry must be rubbing their hands to be on the handy side of the draw. I wonder why Fitzmaurice was in Limerick on Saturday evening at all?

IolarCoisCuain

A -it's CONNACHT

The singular nominative in Irish for the English term "Connaught" is "Connachta", not "Connacht." "Connacht" is the singular genitive, what you may remember with fear and trembling from your schooldays as the tuisil ginideach.

BéarlaGaeilge
ConnaughtConnachta
The Province of ConnaughtCúige Connacht
I live in ConnaughtTá mé i mo chónaí i gConnachta
The Devil's Own Connaught RangersRaonaithe Chonnacht an Dhiabhail Féin

Syferus

Sean Armstrong wasn't slow asserting that complacency was the only reason Galway got hammered by Roscommon while basking in the glory of beating a shot Donegal side. Jesus lads, ye don't half play into the arrogant Fancy Dan persona sometimes.

That sort of nonsense does ye no good, but most worryingly it shows a detachment from reality that's likely to bite you in the arse.