2017 Season - Where are we at?

Started by Fuzzman, July 03, 2017, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Well with the first provincial final over and Dublin likely to join Kerry in the quarterfinals in two weeks time, what have we learned so far this year?

I suppose Kerry's win yesterday was of no surprise but Kerry's full forward line of Geany, Donaghy and O'Donoghue sure will cause a lot of worry in the months ahead. Kerry looked strong at midfield too with Anthony Maher in fine form and Buckley doing well when he came in too.

Donegal and Monaghan were probably the biggest surprises of the summer so far with many expecting them to do a lot better this year. Tyrone looked amazing in their two games to date but you would have to wonder how much of that was down to their opponents. If they continue such form it will promote them as real contenders again which many in the media seem to be doing already.
Down however, will hold no fear of Tyrone and will try to outmuscle them like they did Monaghan.

Mayo yet again seem to be struggling in the earlier months of the summer and were far from convincing on Sat night v Derry who really put it up to them. A bit like Donegal who was dominating Ulster, Mayo have lost their way in Connacht but as we saw last year they can still rally around and get to the latter stages. 2010 was the last time they didn't make it to the AI semifinals & 2010 was the last time Donegal were not in an Ulster final.
Some people seem to think Galway could kick on this year and maybe go one step further than last year.
They seem to have found a better balance between attack and defence and it will depend who they meet in a quarterfinal, should they get that far.

Dublin of course are still most people's favourites and they continue to win easily playing a lot of their second string players. Most would expect a Dublin v Kerry final this year and judging by how they've both done so far that does indeed look likely.
Kildare will certainly give the Dubs more to think about that Westmeath did but I would expect Gavin to start bringing back his more regular starters and win with a bit to spare.

I think the one positive thing so far this year is that teams seem a bit more intent on attacking more and not focusing so much on blanket defence. The mark certainly seems to have a positive impact with a lot more teams kicking it long to their big men in midfield which in turn is making the game much more direct with less hand passing up the field.

Name your last 8.

seafoid

There is clear daylight between Kildare and Meath. Monaghan were disappointing. Mayo are probably finished. Tipp didn't follow up. Down surprised a lot of people.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

I find myself watching less and less of the c'ship year on year. It really is one big yawn. Too much live matches and a serious lack of competitive action combined with a really stupid and mind numbing format.

screenexile

I think you'll find it' "Super 8" Fuzzman!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: BennyCake on July 03, 2017, 02:28:19 PM
I find myself watching less and less of the c'ship year on year. It really is one big yawn. Too much live matches and a serious lack of competitive action combined with a really stupid and mind numbing format.

If you aren't watching it how do you know its one big yawn?

As always and in every competition there has been a lot of one sided games but no more than usual. The football to me has had a bit more emphasis on attacking football and pushing up on kickouts which has been good. There's been a few shocks along the way with Down taking out Monaghan and Galway beating Mayo. It's been good to see an obvious improvement in the likes of Kildare and Down. Tyrone also played some excellent football in dismantling Donegal who were many peoples favourites entering the game.

I'd say it's been at least as good as most championship years and there is lots of interesting games over the next few weeks. This Saturdays qualifiers have a lot of games that could go either way.

The one worry is that perhaps Dublin and Kerry could have pulled well clear of everyone else but it's too early to conclude that. Two or three teams looking capable of potentially putting it up to them.

befair

Seems like Dublin again, main challenge from Kerry and Tyrone. Mayo + Donegal seem to be fading (tho this time last year Mayo were fortunate vs Fermanagh, and still could have won Sam in the end)

Fuzzman

After two matches
Tyrone have scored 1.43 and conceded 1.23 +20
Kerry have   scored 2.41 and conceded 1.27 +17
Dublin have  scored 4.48 and conceded 0.17 +43

After one match
Galway have scored 0.15 and conceded 1.11 +1

I'd hazard a guess that the last 8 will be
Dublin, Galway, Tyrone and Kerry
Kildare, Monaghan, Mayo and Down

Kerry will probably get Monaghan in quarters and Galway in the semi as another easy route to the final.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 03, 2017, 03:40:11 PM
After two matches

After one match

Kerry will probably get Monaghan in quarters and Galway in the semi as another easy route to the final.

Monaghan are on the Ulster/Leinster side of the draw. So them Kildare and Down can't all make it to the quarter finals. Kerry therefore cant get them either. Kerry will be looking at most likely Mayo in the quarter final with Galway playing Donegal or Meath.

westbound

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 03, 2017, 04:06:17 PM
After two matches

After one match

Monaghan are on the Ulster/Leinster side of the draw. So them Kildare and Down can't all make it to the quarter finals. Kerry therefore cant get them either. Kerry will be looking at most likely Mayo in the quarter final with Galway playing Donegal or Meath.
If Kildare and Down lose their provincial finals, it is likely that kildare will have to play Monaghan in round 4 If Monghan get that far) as Down will be kept apart from them if possible. So I think it's unlikely that both Kildare and Monaghan will make it to the Qtrs.

So my prediction (wishful thinking with Roscommon but one lucky win/nice qualifier draw is all we need!):
Kerry (I'm definitely right here!)
Dublin
Tyrone
Mayo
Galway
Roscommon
Monaghan
Tipperary
If Down win ulster, Ill put them in there instead of Tipperary
If kildare win Leinster they'll be there instead of Monaghan

Rossfan

After two matches

After one match

Ros scored 2-23 conceded 1-9.  +17.
Qtr Finalists
Ros Dublin Kerry Tyrone to be joined by
Mayowestros Galway Kildare and Down.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Taylor

As most teams are actually attacking it has made the cship more enjoyable (bar the hidings for some teams).

The bastardised version of basketball is thankfully becoming less frequent.

If we can get rid of the short kick out or make it travel at least past a 30m line it will make the game even better.

Fuzzman

Looks like ye have high hopes for Connacht this year lads.
Maybe Roscommon v Down
Galway v Dublin
Mayo v Kerry
Tyrone v Kildare

Rossie v Galway semi with Mayo v Tyrone in the other one

Rossfan

Semis are Connacht Champions ( or team that beats them)  v Munster Champions (or...).
So Ros v Kerry
Dublin v Tyrone
Ros to beat Dublin in the Final :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 03, 2017, 04:44:30 PM
Looks like ye have high hopes for Connacht this year lads.
Maybe Roscommon v Down
Galway v Dublin
Mayo v Kerry
Tyrone v Kildare

Rossie v Galway semi with Mayo v Tyrone in the other one

Those matchups can't work out as far as I can see.

I presume you think Down will lose the Ulster Final, that means the only team we could play in the 1/4 finals (if we got that far) would be Dublin. Galway (presuming you have them losing Connacht) will have to play Kerry in the 1/4 final. So it would be:

Dublin v Down
Tyrone v Kildare
Roscommon v Mayo
Kerry v Galway

For what it's worth, I think the final eight will be

Dublin
Kerry
Galway
Tyrone
Down
Kildare
Mayo
Donegal

The A side of the draw is definitely easier and Monaghan/Cavan could easily be there instead of Down.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

After two matches

After one match

After 2 games Kildare scored 3-37 and conceded 1-20 +23
Nothing to scoff at even if the oppostition was diabolical.