It's life Jim but not as we know it

Started by Fuzzman, June 06, 2017, 04:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I'm just not convinced. For the guts of 10 years from 75-85 it was just 2 teams (Kerry/Dublin) with Offaly raising its head. Then from 96-01 it was the same 3 sides (Kerry/Galway/Meath). 03-09 it was 2 sides (Tyrone/Kerry). Kerry are often the common denominator. Even 90-95 the Dubs were the mainstays.

I think we're over analysing it. There have been hammerings dished out by the teams above for as long as I can remember. Tipp still reached the semis last year. London reached a provincial final recently.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 07, 2017, 10:18:15 PM
Monaghan is on the small side to actually win out. But is Monaghan's good performance down to spending more money than Meath or Armagh?
They have a better set of players. But they haven't got past the quarter finals. They are the PSG of GF
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on June 07, 2017, 10:25:57 PM
I'm just not convinced. For the guts of 10 years from 75-85 it was just 2 teams (Kerry/Dublin) with Offaly raising its head. Then from 96-01 it was the same 3 sides (Kerry/Galway/Meath). 03-09 it was 2 sides (Tyrone/Kerry). Kerry are often the common denominator. Even 90-95 the Dubs were the mainstays.

I think we're over analysing it. There have been hammerings dished out by the teams above for as long as I can remember. Tipp still reached the semis last year. London reached a provincial final recently.

It's a good argument. I just don't see how or when the Dubs will "go away" for want of a better term. What could and should happen is Kildare and Meath closing the gap quite significantly in Leinster and nationally though.

Syferus

For me the last AI race that genuinely caught fire was 2010, you had teams like Cork, Down and Kildare with very real AI-winning potential and you had teams like Roscommon and Meath (steady) winning provincials and freshening things up.

The goal should be to get to a point where a year like 2010 feel like it's possible again.

ONeill

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on June 07, 2017, 10:53:29 PM
What about 2012?

With Donegal they became a sort of showtime side in 2011 demolishing Kerry after Galvin had started crying tears of joy over finally beating Tyrone a few weeks earlier. The new Ulster threat. It was nice to see but honestly you could sense Donegal were destined for an AI early in the season. They were so tactically and physically ahead of the curve.

In 2010 you had no clue how it was going to shake out. Final wasn't of great quaility but I would take an unpredictable pairing like that over Dublin v Kerry/Mayo every time.

ONeill

It was shite. Was it at and can't remember a thing.

magpie seanie

Donegal got a few goals and got ahead of them and Dublin panicked. Plus I think Dublin were a wee shade off where they should have been. The year before was their first All Ireland and I think they celebrated well and were a touch naive in 2012. Donegal were brilliant that year to be fair. The Dubs have learned though. They've won finals and other tight games ugly since.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
For me the last AI race that genuinely caught fire was 2010, you had teams like Cork, Down and Kildare with very real AI-winning potential and you had teams like Roscommon and Meath (steady) winning provincials and freshening things up.

The goal should be to get to a point where a year like 2010 feel like it's possible again.

An interesting year but the punters made a killing as Down reached the AI without a pup in hells chance of winning it.

Minder

Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 07, 2017, 11:06:02 PM

An interesting year but the punters made a killing as Down reached the AI without a pup in hells chance of winning it.

They lost by a point
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 07, 2017, 11:06:02 PM

If it hadn't of been a pishing wet day we'd have won it.
Corks physical presence told in the end.

mackers

Quote from: ONeill on June 07, 2017, 10:25:57 PM

I'm proud of my fellow county men for not biting  ;)
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.