Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 02, 2017, 02:22:53 PM
Wow, a carlow poster. Are you the first we've had?
Who do you want to win between Tyrone and Donegal. We might meet in the next round of qualifiers.

I'm surprised there aren't more Donegal posters on this board over the years. Do they have their own board somewhere? What's the mood in Donegal this year? Do they think they're on the way back up already or are they worried the good years have gone?

A repeat of the Ulster final in the minor game I see.

Often wondered why there aren't more of us too, especially in light of our relative success in recent years. There's been a few over the years, but they seem to drift off eventually.

On the mood in the county, I'm not living there, but from what I've heard and read there's a fair bit of optimism right now, if a bit of caution that this year is probably too soon. Beating Tyrone AND Monaghan is a tall order for a bunch of players not proven at senior championship level. But, were we to beat Tyrone, we'd obviously be hopeful that we could win Ulster, even if we'd likely be underdogs against an experienced Monaghan team. Whatever happens, I think we all feel that there's the makings of a decent team for the coming seasons. Whether Rory Gallagher is the man to bring them to an Ulster title and beyond remains to be seen.

BluestackBoy

Feelings in the county are quite mixed at the moment. we are delighted with the new players who have integrated so well but the jusy is still very much out on Rory Gallagher who seems to have a way of rubbing people up the wrong way. To be without Leo McLoone & McNiallis s bad enough but to see a super young player like Stephen McBrearty opting out is worrying.

We are competitive, especially in Ulster, but the feeling would be that we have the players to push on to the next level but maybe not the management.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

southtyronegael

Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 02, 2017, 06:18:36 PM
Feelings in the county are quite mixed at the moment. we are delighted with the new players who have integrated so well but the jusy is still very much out on Rory Gallagher who seems to have a way of rubbing people up the wrong way. To be without Leo McLoone & McNiallis s bad enough but to see a super young player like Stephen McBrearty opting out is worrying.

We are competitive, especially in Ulster, but the feeling would be that we have the players to push on to the next level but maybe not the management.
we feel the same

omaghjoe

Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 02, 2017, 06:18:36 PM

we I feel the same ::)

southtyronegael

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: StephenC on June 02, 2017, 11:59:23 AM
What did youse make of Jim's article about Tyrone and how he thinks this time is coached to a higher level than the legendary team of the noughties?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mickey-harte-and-brendan-rodgers-share-same-vision-1.3100537

I don't agree with his analysis of the Scottish Cup final or the current Tyrone team. Derek Macinnes with a miniscule budget compared to Brendan Rodgers had his team on top for long spells. Missed opportunities cost Aberdeen victory but it was a tactical triumph for him, not Brendan Rodgers.

Similarly I still haven't seen any evidence that the approach taken by this Tyrone team is any more effective than if they played in a more attacking fashion. I don't think they have beaten anybody in a big match that they couldn't have defeated using the natural attacking talent on the panel. If the defensive model was beating better teams then fair enough, but it hasn't so far. Whenever it gets close to doing so, Tyrone are invariably caught out late on by trying to defend a lead, or being unwilling to commit enough to attack to win an even game. I think they could get just as far playing more attack minded football, and they might even be better placed to win one of those big games too.

Fair decision on Mattie Donnelly, impossible to make out what actually happened based on the TV pictures.

Main Street

Quote from: StephenC on June 02, 2017, 11:59:23 AM
What did youse make of Jim's article about Tyrone and how he thinks this time is coached to a higher level than the legendary team of the noughties?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mickey-harte-and-brendan-rodgers-share-same-vision-1.3100537
Jim's analysis of the Scot cup final was spot on.
Coaching in general in the GAA has advanced since the noughties, but it's way too early to pass judgement on Tyrone based on being impressive against Derry.  This game should be a truer test of what both teams are about.

skeog

Donegal players seem to be wrapped in cotton wool not turning out for their clubs this weekend.

BluestackBoy

Unusual move for Donegal who usually only rest county players the week before but I think last weekend's scare with both Murphy & McGee coming off injured had a lot to do with it. Biggest game of the year for both counties & I can't blame them.

omagh_gael

Quote from: skeog on June 04, 2017, 10:47:38 AM
Donegal players seem to be wrapped in cotton wool not turning out for their clubs this weekend.

Absolute joke, for all the shite Mickey gets regarding club games we, in Tyrone, are far from the worst. How many club games have Donegal players played in? In Tyrone I think we're on 7 out of 8 rounds were county players were playing. They played this weekend for sure.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 04, 2017, 08:31:20 PM
Quote from: skeog on June 04, 2017, 10:47:38 AM

Absolute joke, for all the shite Mickey gets regarding club games we, in Tyrone, are far from the worst. How many club games have Donegal players played in? In Tyrone I think we're on 7 out of 8 rounds were county players were playing. They played this weekend for sure.

Donegal players played in league games up until this weekend. 7 out of 9.

skeog

Donegal were on camp in the Lough Erne resort for the weekend.Imagine if Mickey decided the same wee trip to Cartron House uproar would ensue.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: skeog on June 04, 2017, 09:29:29 PM
Donegal were on camp in the Lough Erne resort for the weekend.Imagine if Mickey decided the same wee trip to Cartron House uproar would ensue.

Proper order too. Keep the money in Ulster.