Media targetting of amateur players

Started by Tubberman, May 18, 2017, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JoG2 on May 18, 2017, 06:52:52 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 18, 2017, 05:57:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 18, 2017, 01:12:05 PM
We all remember the Dublin 'campaign' against Lee Keegan last September.

Now the media seems to have decided Aidan O'Shea deserves a kicking. This is just in the past couple of weeks:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0518/876179-aidan-oshea/

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-aidan-oshea-not-in-same-league-as-michael-murphy-and-its-high-time-the-mayo-man-delivered-35710139.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-aidan-oshea-has-made-unsubstantiated-allegations-against-the-irish-independent-35678782.html

Is it really acceptable for the media to seemingly target an amateur sportsman in such a way?
Leaving aside the fact that it's a Mayo player (again), I think it's very unfair to have all this negative stuff written about a young guy who has to live and work like the rest of us and have all his family and colleagues reading this and know they're all talking about it, not to mention the rest of the country.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Aidan O'Shea drives around in a sponsored 50k car due to his profile as a county player. He cheated Fermanagh out of the Championship last year and then to rub salt into the wound patently denied it when it was as obvious as the day was long, he got a free pass from the media on that count. He looks to have played an instrumental part in ousting two good servants of Mayo football in their role of manager which was done  appallingly. That's not taking into account him failing to produce the goods when it matters.

I think he is fair game to this kind of commentary.

Aye, get ripped into the hoors. They train or play every night of the week in preparation to entertain the masses, can't eat crisps apparently , have zero social life, and some get a loan of a motor, the loan of a bastardin motor! Never heard the like of it. Give them both barrels I say

Does the average inter county player get a free motor? Not a chance.

O'Shea gets one as he has a big media profile due to his activity in the GAA, he promotes and engages in this profile whenever he can. I think he can have little complaints when some blowback comes when he is acting out of line. I think it's a fair line that people should be asking him to focus more on his game and less on his profile when he's one of their main men and has failed to produce the goods when it really matters.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 18, 2017, 06:32:38 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 18, 2017, 06:25:08 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 18, 2017, 06:13:00 PM

Now the media seems to have decided Aidan O'Shea deserves a kicking. This is just in the past couple of weeks:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-aidan-oshea-not-in-same-league-as-michael-murphy-and-its-high-time-the-mayo-man-delivered-35710139.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-aidan-oshea-has-made-unsubstantiated-allegations-against-the-irish-independent-35678782.html

Is it really acceptable for the media to seemingly target an amateur sportsman in such a way?
Leaving aside the fact that it's a Mayo player (again), I think it's very unfair to have all this negative stuff written about a young guy who has to live and work like the rest of us and have all his family and colleagues reading this and know they're all talking about it, not to mention the rest of the country.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Aidan O'Shea drives around in a sponsored 50k car due to his profile as a county player. He cheated Fermanagh out of the Championship last year and then to rub salt into the wound patently denied it when it was as obvious as the day was long, he got a free pass from the media on that count. He looks to have played an instrumental part in ousting two good servants of Mayo football in their role of manager which was done  appallingly. That's not taking into account him failing to produce the goods when it matters.

Youre not a fan. I can tell

For a guy who thrives on and makes the most out of his GAA profile, free cars, advertisements etc - I don't think he can have many complaints when he gets some blowback when he acts out of line like he did in ousting the Mayo management because they had the temerity to put him in check regarding his duties or with his complete denial of any wrongdoing against Fermanagh last year when he clear as day cheated to put them out of the Championship.

If O'Shea was a really serious footballer, he'd keep his head down and focus on his football. Nobody is begrudging him what he's doing but if he isn't backing it up on the pitch as he has the ability to do then I think the criticism is fair, particularly when you see all the perks his profile earns him.

Congratulations!
That is definitely the longest and most incomprehensible sentence I have ever come across. Enda Kenny would be looking over his shoulder if he knew you were knocking about. ;D

It may be long but it hits a few home truths and maybe that's why you find it incomprehensible.

Mayo - the land that introspection forgot.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 18, 2017, 07:14:36 PM

Aye, get ripped into the hoors. They train or play every night of the week in preparation to entertain the masses, can't eat crisps apparently , have zero social life, and some get a loan of a motor, the loan of a bastardin motor! Never heard the like of it. Give them both barrels I say

O'Shea gets one as he has a big media profile due to his activity in the GAA, he promotes and engages in this profile whenever he can. I think he can have little complaints when some blowback comes when he is acting out of line. I think it's a fair line that people should be asking him to focus more on his game and less on his profile when he's one of their main men and has failed to produce the goods when it really matters.

Where did he get this free car you are on about?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 18, 2017, 07:33:14 PM

Where did he get this free car you are on about?

A quick Google search will point you here.

https://www.facebook.com/AudiBallinaAudiSligo/posts/938719849496901

Captain Scarlet

I know there are links to various articles but I doubt it's a media-driven assault. The problem at this time of year is that we are gearing up for action but have no action so an amount of shite is written.
O'Shea is in the category of a few major lads who get the deals, like James O'Donoghue for example. Bernard Brogan has been arguably the highest profile of all and he has never seemingly suffered an attack, and that's mainly because he has All Irelands in his arse pocket (it's where everyone keeps them!) and he never gets drawn on anything he doesn't want to talk about.
It's silly season and O'Shea and Mayo fans need to realise this. In the current media this is lighting up Twitter which in turn brings more online articles.
It all feeds into the next piece of click-bait and his own fans drive it all along.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Crete Boom

Wow I am truly humbled and shocked Bomber that something you typed is true.!! Touché I am bested in this case

tonto1888

I agree with bomber. Never thought I'd be typing that sentence

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2017, 09:44:50 PM

I think everyone will eventually have that Damascus moment with me and see that I was right all along.

Main Street

Aiden O'Shea spends a good time with 15 or 20 deprived kids, shooting the breeze, getting photos taken, signing autographs and transforms an ordinary day into something memorable and very special for them after they came to watch a low profile friendly. And you have dawgobs literally calling him a pedophile.

AZOffaly

What? Who called him a 'pedophile'? And how were the kids deprived?

Edit, I agree, there's not a lot wrong in what he did. Our GAA lads are generally excellent with Kids on the field after games, and it's one of the great things about our lads. I wouldn't be slating him for that.

Lar Naparka

I'm afraid I have to agree with  much of what both Ó'Se and Flynn have written.
What Flynn had to say about him posing for selfies with childish to say the least but this piece isn't:
"Last year. If the truth be known, if he'd played anyway well to form over the two games against Dublin Mayo would have been All-Ireland champions. That's the big frustration. He hasn't really done it....He hasn't done what he's supposed to do considering the calibre of player he is."

I can't disagree with any of that.
I'm not too gone on the bould Tomás either but I see nothing wrong with this:
"If it sounds like I'm being hard on O'Shea, it's only because I believe he can be THE man for Mayo.
It's probably a small enough thing that could get Mayo over the line and, given his potential, even a five per cent improvement from O'Shea might be enough."
I can't see anything wrong with any of the above.
Remember the QF against Donegal in 2013? He hasn't reproduced that form in any game since then. Maybe this will be his year......
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 18, 2017, 10:07:42 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2017, 09:44:50 PM

I think everyone will eventually have that Damascus moment with me and see that I was right all along.

If Saint Paul was a Tyrone man, he would have been booked for diving.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

It's going to be difficult for Aidan to pick the team for Sunday with all this media intrusion.

Mayo Border

Quote from: Itchy on May 18, 2017, 11:47:39 PM
It's going to be difficult for Aidan to pick the team for Sunday with all this media intrusion.
Thats a good one Itchy. Did you come up with that one all by yourself?