Mayo v Sligo CSFC 21st May 2017

Started by Farrandeelin, May 08, 2017, 08:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo Club 51

We have set up a championship prediction mini league with face the ball if anyone wants to join in?

Details how to join here http://mayoclub51.com/face-ball-prediction-league-2017/

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 19, 2017, 11:17:21 AM
Interesting article here form Colm Keys which kinda captures what I am feeling heading into this championship, http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/colm-keys-can-mayos-longserving-core-of-heavy-lifters-put-the-shoulder-to-the-wheel-again-35732033.html.

I just don't know what to expect on Sunday i.e. will we play like the team in the first half of the league game v Donegal or the team in the second half of the league game v Donegal?

Yeah. I expect it to be a game we can control though without necessarily shooting the lights out.
This team's obituary has been written every year since - well since it emerged under Horan and especially since 2012 final. It's doomsday every year. I suppose they will be right some year.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on May 19, 2017, 11:24:05 PM
Interesting article here form Colm Keys which kinda captures what I am feeling heading into this championship, http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/colm-keys-can-mayos-longserving-core-of-heavy-lifters-put-the-shoulder-to-the-wheel-again-35732033.html.

I just don't know what to expect on Sunday i.e. will we play like the team in the first half of the league game v Donegal or the team in the second half of the league game v Donegal?

Yeah. I expect it to be a game we can control though without necessarily shooting the lights out.
This team's obituary has been written every year since - well since it emerged under Horan and especially since 2012 final. It's doomsday every year. I suppose they will be right some year.

If ye can't win Connacht this year something has gone seriously wrong, Moy.

Lar Naparka

Can't disagree with what Keys says. The heavy lifters have done their bit for the county year after year and in spite of the long string of heartbreaking near misses and they still keep coming back for more.
Sunday will tell a lot; I expect Mayo to win, who doesn't?
The manner of winning will tell us a lot of what to expect in the games that lie ahead. I don't expect Sligo to lie down and present us with a win but, even so, a result like the Connacht Final in 2012 won't engender confidence in anyone.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2017, 12:18:18 AM

Something has always gone seriously wrong every year in my time. Sometimes it happens in May. Sometimes in June, July or August. Sometimes in September as well.

GalwayBayBoy

Not necessarily. Sometimes you just lose. Mayo had no realistic competition in Connacht for much of their 5 in a row. It was one very good team and 4 poor to average teams. They do now. They may still be good enough to regain their title though. They still have plenty of good players. I'd never view them as unbeatable though. Why would you? Unless you had a complex about them.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2017, 02:21:49 AM

Not necessarily. Sometimes you just lose. Mayo had no realistic competition in Connacht for much of their 5 in a row. It was one very good team and 4 poor to average teams. They do now. They may still be good enough to regain their title though. They still have plenty of good players. I'd never view them as unbeatable though. Why would you? Unless you had a complex about them.

It's still Mayo and five very average sides (London aren't much off Leitrim). I think ye could be in for a bit of a revenge pasting in the semi-final and if we go to McHale and win it would amount to the biggest shock in Connacht since '94. I think any of the others bar Mayo in Connacht have their work cut out to make Croke Park at all.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on May 20, 2017, 01:16:24 AM

Something has always gone seriously wrong every year in my time. Sometimes it happens in May. Sometimes in June, July or August. Sometimes in September as well.

Best way to describe every championship year moy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Any predictions? I'm going with a Mayo win by 5 or 6 or 7 points.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 20, 2017, 10:48:27 AM
The usual. Play poorly and win, written off.

Lar Naparka

Oh Christ! I was hoping you'd predict a loss.  ;D
Every time you do, we manage to win. What do I do now?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 20, 2017, 11:23:38 AM
Oh Christ! I was hoping you'd predict a loss.  ;D
Every time you do, we manage to win. What do I do now?

Put the lump sum on Sligo!

Maroon Manc

I expect Mayo to win very comfortably and I expect them to win Connacht but its hardly going to be the greatest shock of all time if Galway beat them in Salthill but given what happened last year i think they'll just have enough to win.

Better Mayo teams were nearly caught cold by Sligo in 2012 and Roscommon in 2014, Mayo have been a very different team in June as opposed to the one we've seen in August/September.

moysider

I doubt they were better Mayo teams in 2012 and 2014.

Crete Boom

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/the-outrageous-crime-of-being-aidan-o-shea-1.3089499 , good article by Duggan , although I love the standalone comment by one of Syferus/El Bomber/ Fuzzman ;D ;D