Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Taylor on April 26, 2017, 07:26:17 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 25, 2017, 11:06:46 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 25, 2017, 10:57:48 PM
He allegedly threatened poor wee Joe.
Already appealed and it failed.

Davy Fitz should thank his lucky stars he isn't from north of the border

I would have threatening a referee as a more serious offence than a bit of argy bargy with the opposition players, even if it was on the field of play.

So actually going on the field of play, giving the ref a mouthful and perhaps threatening or calling him a bollix, then getting physically involved with players of opposing team before leaving the field is worse than allegedly threatening.

Right so Ted

The irony. I've not heard anything yet about Davy Fitz threatening the referee. But yes, I do believe that threatening a referee is a more serious offence than telling him that he's a blind bollox.

general_lee

McQuillan really hates Armagh.

mrdeeds

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 26, 2017, 11:05:02 AM
Quote from: Taylor on April 26, 2017, 07:26:17 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 25, 2017, 11:06:46 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 25, 2017, 10:57:48 PM
He allegedly threatened poor wee Joe.
Already appealed and it failed.

Davy Fitz should thank his lucky stars he isn't from north of the border

I would have threatening a referee as a more serious offence than a bit of argy bargy with the opposition players, even if it was on the field of play.

So actually going on the field of play, giving the ref a mouthful and perhaps threatening or calling him a bollix, then getting physically involved with players of opposing team before leaving the field is worse than allegedly threatening.

Right so Ted

The irony. I've not heard anything yet about Davy Fitz threatening the referee. But yes, I do believe that threatening a referee is a more serious offence than telling him that he's a blind bollox.

It's only acceptable in Wicklow.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 26, 2017, 08:48:27 AM
Winker Watson to report on the BBC news and mentioned by Sidebottom during his match commentary.

And how, pray tell me, did he garner such a moniker?  ;D

Jinxy

Suffering from the same rule as I did in the past. When a referee makes a statement in his report it cannot be overturned as it is taken to be the absolute truth under GAA rule book. So, if anything is in the referee's report then you have no chance of having it successfully appealed.  I was reported for calling the referee a cheat while on the sideline but this was untrue, I simply said to him after the game, 'that was a disgrace'.  I also entered the field twice to hand back footballs to the umpire to keep the game going and stood talking to him for about a minute.  The upshot was that the rule that the referee's report is always right was invoked, I eventually ended up with a 48 week ban which was fed to Winker Watson to report on the BBC news and mentioned by Sidebottom during his match commentary.

What were you talking to him about?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2017, 01:12:26 PM
Suffering from the same rule as I did in the past. When a referee makes a statement in his report it cannot be overturned as it is taken to be the absolute truth under GAA rule book. So, if anything is in the referee's report then you have no chance of having it successfully appealed.  I was reported for calling the referee a cheat while on the sideline but this was untrue, I simply said to him after the game, 'that was a disgrace'.  I also entered the field twice to hand back footballs to the umpire to keep the game going and stood talking to him for about a minute.  The upshot was that the rule that the referee's report is always right was invoked, I eventually ended up with a 48 week ban which was fed to Winker Watson to report on the BBC news and mentioned by Sidebottom during his match commentary.

About what a bollox the ref was.

Shamrock Shore

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 26, 2017, 12:07:02 PM
Winker Watson to report on the BBC news and mentioned by Sidebottom during his match commentary.

And how, pray tell me, did he garner such a moniker?  ;D

He uses it as his twitter name. Winker Watson was a character in the Dandy comic.
https://twitter.com/winkerwatson1?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winker_Watson

Stephen Watson - BBC sports reporter

Winker Watson - comic book character

AZOffaly

Owen, I'd suggest you're skimping on detail here. 48 Week Ban for calling the ref a cheat sounds a bit excessive. Did you call him that as you held him down and threw footballs at his head or something? :)

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2017, 01:12:26 PM

It was an evening game in the Athletic Grounds and the locals didn't like the floodlights on above their houses and were in dispute with the Armagh County Board so they burnt something that produced a heavy cloud of smoke just above the pitch.  On that night, there was little wind and the smoke hung low above the pitch with the floodlights giving the area a strange glow.  The linesman and I were discussing the visibility and I was explaining why the smoke was being produced. 

Jinxy

It really is another world up there.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2017, 01:45:14 PM
Owen, I'd suggest you're skimping on detail here. 48 Week Ban for calling the ref a cheat sounds a bit excessive. Did you call him that as you held him down and threw footballs at his head or something? :)

For a start the referee's report was pure fiction and the ban for 48 weeks from all playing fields belonging to the GAA was a conversion of a 12 week ban to a 48 week ban without appeal because it was established that I was not a member of the GAA.  It was then leaked to the media.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 26, 2017, 02:27:53 PM

For a start the referee's report was pure fiction and the ban for 48 weeks from all playing fields belonging to the GAA was a conversion of a 12 week ban to a 48 week ban without appeal because it was established that I was not a member of the GAA.  It was then leaked to the media.

For all my bad press the worst I got was 12 weeks which was overturned as it was wrong😂  (Well technically wrong...I did what I was accused of!). You're an awful hound Brannigan😂

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 26, 2017, 02:51:32 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 26, 2017, 02:27:53 PM

For all my bad press the worst I got was 12 weeks which was overturned as it was wrong😂  (Well technically wrong...I did what I was accused of!). You're an awful hound Brannigan😂

Coming from you, I will take that as a compliment! ;D

Itchy

Quote from: general_lee on April 26, 2017, 11:08:32 AM
McQuillan really hates Armagh.

Or maybe as a referee he doesn't like getting verbally abused by an over hyped gym monkey?