12 Week Ban For Geezer

Started by Taylor, April 25, 2017, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2017, 11:57:21 AM
Cavan started the fight
The ref made up a story about geezer
Willie Frazer isn't really from Armagh, he's a Tyrone man sent in to make Armagh people look like imbeciles
Getting locked before a game is the best way to watch Armagh play
The earth is flat

Do is life through the eyes of your average Armagh man

Give it a rest ffs. For some reason you've got your knickers in a real twist over Armagh. Give yourself a bit of respite and move on from whatever it is that's eating at you.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 07, 2017, 02:37:42 PM
Quote from: LCohen on May 07, 2017, 02:18:23 PM
Not all Armagh fans are whingers. In fact most of us are not but there is a vocal minority that are obsessed with victimhood, a misguided belief that a siege mentality can outfox tactical nouse and a refusal to meaningfully assess the current team and management.

Anyone who is positive about the potential of the current team is shouted down and if you dare to think positively that things can be done better then you are being disloyal to the guru on the sideline and treated as a traitor. My worry is that minority are disproportionately present in and around the current management and county set up.

We are too willing to become embroiled in phoney wars

Indeed not all Cavan men are bitter towards Armagh and McGeeney - there are though a vocal few.

You make some good points in your post, and I was largely in agreement with a lot of it. Yes indeed there are those who will not countenance any negativity and there is of course those exercising a siege mentality. However in Armagh, we're lucky, as we have a nice balanced set of viewpoints. For every man, woman and child refusing to acknowledge the negative, there are many who will refuse whatever positives are out there and show only too readily a willingness to put the boot in. Geezer and the current management are normally the target of their ire and many of those will use disparaging and ironic references to Geezer along such lines as, 'the guru'. 

I have to say I genuinely be taken aback by the ire that is directed towards Geezer around the country. Dublin and many of the Ulster counties come to mind - Cavan and Donegal are two in particular I have remarked on Boards.ie but it is very prevalent in our own County, which I believe is nothing short of a disgrace.

And before someone rushes in with it, no, that doesn't mean he gets a free pass. He should be held accountable like any other manager. I myself would have concerns with what I've seen in the way of selections and gameplan.

However when being held to account in our own County, my hope would be that those weighing these things up, acknowledge the paucity of top class players in our County and the fact that an awful lot of the slings and arrows which have befallen the team have been self-inflicted wounds, or as Dan Maskell used to say, 'unforced errors'. And a bit of respect might be in order too - considering 1999 - 2008. I'd say the fella has earned that.

Would agree with that.  Always struck me that he seems to attract a fair amount of ire from outside the county. Not sure why.

Armamike

Quote from: AFS on May 07, 2017, 04:03:27 PM
Just back to the main business of the thread for a minute, found out the other day that Stephen Beatty got a one match ban for his behaviour in the Antrim - Armagh league game. So to clarify:

Hitting the ref with the ball + punching two opposition players = one match ban
Saying something bold to a linesman = 12 week ban

This makes sense.

Yes. The guy lost it.  The punishments from these various types of offences don't seem very proportionate.

Itchy

Quote from: Armamike on May 07, 2017, 04:07:28 PM
Not all Armagh fans are whingers. In fact most of us are not but there is a vocal minority that are obsessed with victimhood, a misguided belief that a siege mentality can outfox tactical nouse and a refusal to meaningfully assess the current team and management.

Anyone who is positive about the potential of the current team is shouted down and if you dare to think positively that things can be done better then you are being disloyal to the guru on the sideline and treated as a traitor. My worry is that minority are disproportionately present in and around the current management and county set up.

Indeed not all Cavan men are bitter towards Armagh and McGeeney - there are though a vocal few.

You make some good points in your post, and I was largely in agreement with a lot of it. Yes indeed there are those who will not countenance any negativity and there is of course those exercising a siege mentality. However in Armagh, we're lucky, as we have a nice balanced set of viewpoints. For every man, woman and child refusing to acknowledge the negative, there are many who will refuse whatever positives are out there and show only too readily a willingness to put the boot in. Geezer and the current management are normally the target of their ire and many of those will use disparaging and ironic references to Geezer along such lines as, 'the guru'. 

I have to say I genuinely be taken aback by the ire that is directed towards Geezer around the country. Dublin and many of the Ulster counties come to mind - Cavan and Donegal are two in particular I have remarked on Boards.ie but it is very prevalent in our own County, which I believe is nothing short of a disgrace.

And before someone rushes in with it, no, that doesn't mean he gets a free pass. He should be held accountable like any other manager. I myself would have concerns with what I've seen in the way of selections and gameplan.

However when being held to account in our own County, my hope would be that those weighing these things up, acknowledge the paucity of top class players in our County and the fact that an awful lot of the slings and arrows which have befallen the team have been self-inflicted wounds, or as Dan Maskell used to say, 'unforced errors'. And a bit of respect might be in order too - considering 1999 - 2008. I'd say the fella has earned that.

Would agree with that.  Always struck me that he seems to attract a fair amount of ire from outside the county. Not sure why.

Well you must have your head squarely between your arse cheeks if you don't know why there isn't much love for him in cavan.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2017, 04:16:28 PM

Well you must have your head squarely between your arse cheeks if you don't know why there isn't much love for him in cavan.

Ah, now we get to the crux of your bitterness.  So, no matter what McGenney does in the rest of his life you will always resent the fact that Seany Johnson turned his back on Cavan and tried to become a Kildare man and blame the whole sorry mess on McGeeney.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Armamike on May 07, 2017, 04:14:03 PM
Quote from: AFS on May 07, 2017, 04:03:27 PM
Just back to the main business of the thread for a minute, found out the other day that Stephen Beatty got a one match ban for his behaviour in the Antrim - Armagh league game. So to clarify:

Hitting the ref with the ball + punching two opposition players = one match ban
Saying something bold to a linesman = 12 week ban

This makes sense.

Well, it would appear that the referee did not include all of the actions by Beatty which included an assault on him which would be the same offence as McGeeney was charged with and should have earned Beatty a 12 week ban.  It's a pity that whoever helped the referee with his report ensuring that the incident with the linesman was included did not ensure that being assaulted himself with a football by a player who also assaulted two others was also included. 

Yes. The guy lost it.  The punishments from these various types of offences don't seem very proportionate.

Itchy

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 07, 2017, 04:47:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2017, 04:16:28 PM

Ah, now we get to the crux of your bitterness.  So, no matter what McGenney does in the rest of his life you will always resent the fact that Seany Johnson turned his back on Cavan and tried to become a Kildare man and blame the whole sorry mess on McGeeney.

I'm not bitter at all. McGeeney showed many times since then what a bluffer he is as a manager. Yet ye would rather blame neutral referee and linesman rather than accept the punishment ye have been dealt. From the outside looking in it is a sizeable proportion of the Armagh support who are bitter with everything and at the back of it all ye are just not that good anymore. No skin of my nose if ye want to live in siege mentality denial for the rest of your lives.

LCohen

anyone refusing to acknowledge any positive will have a skewed outlook on life. And there are some who just don't like  McGeeney. He seems to have a marmite effect.

My concern is that any criticism of the man seems to result in accusations of being anti-geezer or putting the boot in. It's the easy option for some and they don't hesitate to take it. As long as that is the case there won't be any sensible discussion on how we get things moving.

I call him the Guru because I keep getting told that he is. An expert on conditioning. A master at man management. Ask the same people what this is based on and conversation drys up.

You and I both know we have the players to beat teams that we have struggled against in recent times. Whether those players are top class is a red herring.

Full respect for McGeeney the playing legend. He earned that respect. Armagh don't have to win All Irelands for him to earn that respect as a manager. No manager could get an AI out of this bunch. But we can do a lot better than we are at the moment. Here's hoping that we have a championship like 2014 which at this stage of the season nobody saw coming

Erwin Rommel

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2017, 05:23:13 PM
No skin of my nose if ye want to live in siege mentality denial for the rest of your lives.

LOL - of course it isn't. That's why your all over this thead like a rash!

You were saying something about a head up an arse!?!??  ;D

pearseog

Cavan started the fight
Willie Frazer isn't really from Armagh, he's a Tyrone man sent in to make Armagh people look like imbeciles
The earth is flat

Was that the same fight that Marty Dunne broke his hand when the Armagh player headbutted his closed fist?

Itchy

Quote from: pearseog on May 08, 2017, 02:43:39 PM
Cavan started the fight
The earth is flat

Was that the same fight that Marty Dunne broke his hand when the Armagh player headbutted his closed fist?

Poor Martin never played again for Cavan after that headbutt. There is a rumour that McGeeney used mind power to break Martins hand as he was seen leaving a mind guru training camp hosted by another legendary guru Uri Geller.

mrdeeds

I'm a Cavan man and like McGeeney. Fascinating character. I despise McQuillan who I think is one of the worst referees in Cavan club football and whatever McGeeney said was probably right. 

ck

I can give you my viewpoint for what it's worth. For me it goes back to the GPA. McGeeney fronted it from the outset. I'm anti GPA and I saw McGeeney as someone who simply wanted to line his pockets. Not long later he was doing exactly that in Kildare. A man who didnt hold down a full time job and getting a full time salary in Kildare. Fact. A lot of people have no issue with this, fine, but I do.
McGeeney then heads back to Armagh, and for all his salary demands, his teams don't perform and he brings them to Div.3. At the same time he's running around with MMA and inviting media in to watch him train and that. I dislike his desire for profile.
All in all, i dislike the guy. I dislike what he stands for and most of all i dislike his arrogance. His comments to officials recently underline the character of the man. I know most of you will disagree with me but these are the reasons he's not a popular man.

Beffs

Don't have strong feelings about him, one way or another. I'm just baffled at the gushing, uber deferential treatement that he gets from a largely adoring media, when his managerial career really doesn't warrant it. They bang on about his legendary intensity and ferocity and ability to inspire cult like devotion in his players. But there is rarely any real analysis of his tactical acumen on the side line. Or lack therof. Brian Cody's decision making come in for more rigourous attention than Geezers does. It's baffling.

Yes, he was a legend of a player, but that was a long time ago. He should be judged on his achievements now, not what he did over a decade ago. No other former player manager has his playing days constantly brought up over and over, when the conversation should be about them as a manager. Why should he be different? I really don't get it.

No problem at all, with him making a few bob on the side. Anthony Daly and James Horan's bank managers must be the happiest men in the country these days and fair play to them for it. But they acheived real milestones in their last managerial gigs. When you see Geezer rocking up to yet another Off The Ball roadshow, or be the subject of yet another Barry Egan style adoring profile in the Indo, it's hard not to roll your eyes & wonder what did he achieve as a manager, to warrant yet another big pay day.

mcklatchee

I feckin hate MMA but you can't hate a man for liking something you don't. As for the money craic you're spot on.

McGeeney doesn't really seem to have any love for the game or its traditions. I get that he likes training. Likes the physical side of the game but never really got the impression that he would get any real thrill from a cracking game if he had no connection with either team. Maybe that latter comment is incorrect but it is the impression he gives
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know