Slaughtneil

Started by Feckitt, February 12, 2017, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: the green man on February 19, 2017, 12:33:49 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 18, 2017, 05:23:35 PM
There are a load of players involved and not all from Slaughneil... say it as it is or say nothing.

Interesting to know who you think are not slaughtneil men playing

I'll let you find that for yourself...

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: longballin on February 19, 2017, 03:25:00 PM
Quote from: the green man on February 19, 2017, 12:33:49 AM
There are a load of players involved and not all from Slaughneil... say it as it is or say nothing.

Interesting to know who you think are not slaughtneil men playing

I'll let you find that for yourself...

I'm interested too. Not too many who aren't second, or even third, generation Emmets.

The Stallion

longballin

Billy Magoo

Fantastic achievements by Slaughtneil but is a lot of sentimental nonsense being written as well about a little country club. There are a load of players involved from very wide area and not all from Slaughneil... say it as it is or say nothing.

So let's name the players that have transferred in,  the players that haven't played for us right through underage or the players whose fathers /grandfather's / uncles didn't play for Slaughtneil before them. 

longballin

Not naming players on this board but there are players lived and have been living in catchment area of other clubs who play for Slaughtneil.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Billy Magoo on February 19, 2017, 11:30:49 PM
Fantastic achievements by Slaughtneil but is a lot of sentimental nonsense being written as well about a little country club. There are a load of players involved from very wide area and not all from Slaughneil... say it as it is or say nothing.

So let's name the players that have transferred in,  the players that haven't played for us right through underage or the players whose fathers /grandfather's / uncles didn't play for Slaughtneil before them.

I heard our girls saying there's a girl called Graham from Antrim that shouldn't be playing for you and your footballers are from all over the place

Billy Magoo

Quote from: longballin on February 19, 2017, 11:41:14 PM
Not naming players on this board but there are players lived and have been living in catchment area of other clubs who play for Slaughtneil.

Easy way out longballin.  Saying you'll name no player simply cause you know there are none.  As for Shannon Graham. Yes she's from Antrim.  Her mother was one of the Cassidys,  sister of Thomas. My understanding is that she opted to come to slaughtneil as her own club had no team.  As for the footballers tones you wanna name any who fall into the category I outlined above?

longballin

You saying there are no players from cathchment areas of other clubs? When did GAA bring in the grandparents/uncles/parents rule?

Billy Magoo

Of course there are,  but let me get this right longballin,  your saying that a man who's father played for Slaughtneil,  who played all his underage for Slaughtneil,  who was brought up watching Slaughtneil should play for a neighbouring club just because of where he lives?  What about the man who lives in Slaughtneil,  who plays all underage for club,  plays Seniors, gets wed and has to move to a house a couple of miles away in neighbouring Maghera or Swatragh? Should he demand a transfer?  Proclaim his love for his new club and forget about the last 30 odd years of his life?  When did the GAA bring in the 'play for the club closest to you' rule?  ;)

ONeill

longballin has just been destroyed. RIP.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

Longball answer me this....

Niall Holly was born and lived in Derry City and was in the catchement of Steelstown my own club. He never ever played for us as he travelled to Coleraine to play and train with them for years.

Maximus Marillius

Long long time since I have posted, but after reading that this morning about Slaughtneil I felt obliged to post. There are players playing who live in other catchment clubs, I don't mind being corrected, the most of them Glen, or maybe more accurately Maghera. But as Billy pointed out all of them have fathers, grandfathers, mothers, aunts, uncles etc who were s'neil members all their lives, so they took their children back to the club. Planning issues restricted new builds going up in S'neil for years, the fathers and mothers had no choice but to purchase their homes somewhere else close to their community, we had the same problem in our club until property prices started to rise and the local land owners greed ensured they sold before the thing went bust. Those players have got all their coaching and playing through underage to senior at Slaughneil. And as I said we are talking about 3/4 mile. In my view that is what club loyalty is all about, club and family first, what the Gaa is about. Never could understand a player who was committed to a club for the first 30 years of their lives and who then for whatever reason ends up living a handful of miles away not taking their children to the club the father/mother came from, however I will respect their choice to do it unequivocally, but I won't stand back and watch others criticise people who did what I would do, can't understand how anyone could not see this a bedrock of Gaa culture.

longballin

Aye I see what yis are saying... point I originally made was this wee picture went on social media of huge St Vincents area  v tiny Slaughneil area and all the talk of a small countryside catchment area is untrue as many players live well outside the catchment area. But it suits that narrative.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: longballin on February 20, 2017, 10:47:47 AM
Aye I see what yis are saying... point I originally made was this wee picture went on social media of huge St Vincents area  v tiny Slaughneil area and all the talk of a small countryside catchment area is untrue as many players live well outside the catchment area. But it suits that narrative.

I think if you checked the playing membership of St Vincents and the playing membership of Slaughniel then thats where you are getting mixed up... A cachement area in Dublin will take in far more people that a rual area in Derry
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea