Slaughtneil

Started by Feckitt, February 12, 2017, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Fair played to Slaughtneil. Personally I've no issue with any of the lads on that team. Yes a few of them may live in Glen/Maghera but as pointed out none have ever played for us. Possibly Cormac O'Dohertys older brother Cathal years ago I believe, but never Cormac himself.

My only gripe is this assumption and its a GAA wide one, not just Slaughtneil/Derry, is that urban areas somehow should produce better teams. In that area of Dublin you have plenty of other sports competing not to mention the social issues that impact on playing numbers. We often hear about the heroes of GAA being from small clubs (Joe Brolly) but personally I've more respect for men from clubs like Sean Dolans, Doire Colmcille etc who have massive challenges to turn out teams. Clubs like Glen, Bellaghy, Lavey, Rossa etc get it handy in that regard!

The Stallion

Someone from another Ulster County remarked to me over the weekend that he was shocked to hear a number of Slaughtneil players live in other clubs' catchment areas.

He said it's not something he was aware of until very recently and it does put all this small club talk into perspective.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Stallion on February 20, 2017, 01:54:50 PM
Someone from another Ulster County remarked to me over the weekend that he was shocked to hear a number of Slaughtneil players live in other clubs' catchment areas.

He said it's not something he was aware of until very recently and it does put all this small club talk into perspective.

This isn't something new and happens everywhere. We've people playing for us not in the parish boundary but their parents/grandparents have played for us just like there's families within our parish boundaries who play for other clubs for the very same reason.
Swings and roundabouts.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2017, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 17, 2017, 12:45:20 PM
Cuala are very physical and very fit. I thought that was what won them leinster as much as pure hurling.

Slaughtneil will have this though not convinced they will have the hurling in them. Hope i am wrong.

I though Leinster was poor enough from what i watched, OTB should have stuffed O'Loughlin Gaels, only for a complete collapse in the second half by OTB they'd be competing the Lenister final and giving Culla a harder challenge that the Gales did

Cuala's forwards tore the gaels asunder and will be a step up to what Slaughtneil have faced to date. Deny them the time and space to operate and S'Neil are in with a chance, but I'd still have Cuala as favourites as getting out of Dublin is no easy task in the hurling either.

I'll be cheering on Slaughtneil all the same.

The Stallion

Quote from: johnneycool on February 20, 2017, 02:16:34 PM

This isn't something new and happens everywhere. We've people playing for us not in the parish boundary but their parents/grandparents have played for us just like there's families within our parish boundaries who play for other clubs for the very same reason.
Swings and roundabouts.

I'm not disputing that it happens elsewhere.i just think it's something which has veen swept under the carpet when all this talk of a small rural club has been bandied about.

Happy the more accurate picture is emerging now.

oakleaflad

Quote from: theticklemister on February 20, 2017, 10:18:59 AM
Longball answer me this....

Niall Holly was born and lived in Derry City and was in the catchement of Steelstown my own club. He never ever played for us as he travelled to Coleraine to play and train with them for years.
Steelstown are hardly in a position to complain

theticklemister

They never complained lol. I was showing an example of how a player doesn't have to live in a catchment area can play elsewhere. That is all

thebuzz

Quote from: The Stallion on February 20, 2017, 02:50:56 PM

Swings and roundabouts.

I'm not disputing that it happens elsewhere.i just think it's something which has veen swept under the carpet when all this talk of a small rural club has been bandied about.

Where's the more accurate picture? Are there 2 players from Glen and Swatragh or 22? It still doesn't make any odds. Slaughtneil is still a small rural club no matter what way you look at it.

The Stallion

I haven't suggested otherwise. However, as I stated, the fact players from outside their normal catchment are playing for them has been kept very quiet in this discussion.

Glad to highlight it in order to give a more accurate picture of the situation.

longballin

Quote from: The Stallion on February 20, 2017, 02:50:56 PM

Swings and roundabouts.

Exactly what I was saying.

manfromdelmonte

I'm sure Cuala has a few lads not from the heartland of Cuala, wherever that is (Killiney?)

they have a HUGE pick

Jinxy

Dalkey is a real hotbed of hurling at the moment.
You'd often see young lads in Cuala gear pucking a ball off the gable end of Bono's house on Vico Road.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Slaughtneil doesn't have a traditional parish-based catchment area like most clubs. There aren't many townlands in the Glen and Granaghan parishes that are the exclusive preserve of any of the three clubs. You'll see slaughtneil flags at the foot of the Glenshane Pass and at the Ponderosa; you'll see them on the way out of Maghera towards Swatragh and on the way out of Swatragh towards Maghera, but you're more likely to meet Glen or Swatragh folk in these parts. Slaughtneil also hoovered up many of the Tirgarvil and Lisnamuck White Heather players when these clubs folded in the 50s and 60s, even though they could have gone to Swatragh, Maghera, Screen or Kilrea.

This was never a problem when Slaughtneil weren't winning anything, when they were combining with Swatragh at underage level, when they were sending a dozen lads down from the mountain for minor matches against us, when Glen were winning 97 minor titles on the trot.

The bottom line is that everyone in the GAA in Derry knows that a Cassidy or a McGuigan or a Bradley or a McEldowney or a McKaigue is destined to play for Slaughtneil from the day they draw their first breath, regardless of which part of the locale they live in. And rather than snipe, their achievements should be celebrated.

Slaughtneil are what most other Gaelic clubs would like to be.

The Stallion

I don't see Slaughtneil's dull brand of football as something anyone should aspire to.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Have the goal posts just moved?