Started by Feckitt, February 12, 2017, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on October 22, 2017, 10:25:30 PM
Quote from: currychip on October 22, 2017, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 22, 2017, 07:09:46 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 22, 2017, 07:05:21 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 22, 2017, 05:50:18 PM
Ulster Hurling and Camogie champions again. Would be some achievement if they could retain the football title too. I wouldn't bet against it though.

This run Slaughtneil are on really is incredible. They've been on the road now for a long time without much of a break, and a good few of them dual players to boot. Collectively they've some fire in the bellies.

Unless they're all IC players it's hard to make out they haven't had a break.

Why bother making a comment like that.  He was just pointing up that they are high achievers.  Derry clubs dont win hurling titles.  They did back to back and a big proportion of that team excel at football as well.

I have huge respect for what Slaughtneil have done. I don't know who wouldn't. But it's wrong to say they've had no break, realistically only McKaigue and the like have went without much of a break and even then Derry didn't exactly have that long of a summer. Their achievements stand high enough to be worthy of praise without adding unrealistic relish to it.

Ah now I know they've been on the go from Jan 2014 but they had at least a 3 month break there between 2015 and 2016. Also at least half the panel play hurling as well so that's a good beak for them too. . .

What are you even talking about Syf you haven't the slightest clue!!

Unbelievable achievement and personally I don't think we'll see the likes of it again!

JimStynes

I wouldn't count that as a proper break. A proper break would be when they're out of all competitions and mentally able to switch off. Not constantly worrying about not being able to go on the beer or what they're able to eat becasue they need to stay in some sort of shape for their next round, which might be a month or 2 away because GAA fixture schedules are shite. Amazing run by a serious set of highly motivated individuals and club.

screenexile

Quote from: JimStynes on October 22, 2017, 11:27:49 PM
I wouldn't count that as a proper break. A proper break would be when they're out of all competitions and mentally able to switch off. Not constantly worrying about not being able to go on the beer or what they're able to eat becasue they need to stay in some sort of shape for their next round, which might be a month or 2 away because GAA fixture schedules are shite. Amazing run by a serious set of highly motivated individuals and club.

They were beat by Scotstown in November 2015 Jim so I'd say they took a break then for 3 months without any hassle but 3 months in the last 4 years isn't much of a break ... hard to believe that they looked dead and buried in a County final three years ago only for a last minute disputed goal and they haven't looked back since!

JimStynes

I was only counting the last couple of years but 3 months break from 2014 is even more amazing.

Gold

Hats off to that club. Incredible
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Gold on October 23, 2017, 12:38:20 AM
Hats off to that club. Incredible

+1 Something else!!!!!
"Stercus accidit"

manfromdelmonte

I encountered them at Feile in Wexford this summer
never heard so much Irish spoken around the place

Feckitt

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 23, 2017, 11:41:19 PM
It's no coincidence that the huge growth of the Irish language in that area is matched by the huge success of the club. It's a cliché that the club is the heart of the community in parishes across Ireland,  and in most parishes that is true. But in Slaughtneil there appears to be a total buy in from the whole community.  Language,  Football,  Culture, Community,  Camogie,  Gaeltacht,  Hurling. They're all on the one road and success is the result.

armaghniac

Quote from: Feckitt on October 25, 2017, 10:58:06 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 23, 2017, 11:41:19 PM
It's no coincidence that the huge growth of the Irish language in that area is matched by the huge success of the club. It's a cliché that the club is the heart of the community in parishes across Ireland,  and in most parishes that is true. But in Slaughtneil there appears to be a total buy in from the whole community.  Language,  Football,  Culture, Community,  Camogie,  Gaeltacht,  Hurling. They're all on the one road and success is the result.

And not a stripper in sight, unless paint stripper when they are doing up the clubhouse.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

oakleaflad

Quote from: Syferus on October 22, 2017, 10:25:30 PM
Quote from: currychip on October 22, 2017, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 22, 2017, 07:09:46 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 22, 2017, 07:05:21 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 22, 2017, 05:50:18 PM
Ulster Hurling and Camogie champions again. Would be some achievement if they could retain the football title too. I wouldn't bet against it though.

This run Slaughtneil are on really is incredible. They've been on the road now for a long time without much of a break, and a good few of them dual players to boot. Collectively they've some fire in the bellies.

Unless they're all IC players it's hard to make out they haven't had a break.

Why bother making a comment like that.  He was just pointing up that they are high achievers.  Derry clubs dont win hurling titles.  They did back to back and a big proportion of that team excel at football as well.

I have huge respect for what Slaughtneil have done. I don't know who wouldn't. But it's wrong to say they've had no break, realistically only McKaigue and the like have went without much of a break and even then Derry didn't exactly have that long of a summer. Their achievements stand high enough to be worthy of praise without adding unrealistic relish to it.
Have you realised you're wrong yet?