Mayo v Down NFL Division 1

Started by Farrandeelin, March 28, 2016, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Despite yesterday's encouraging win, Mayo have to win once more to be sure of safety. Should do it, but Down won't want to 'do a Westmeath' and lose all their games I'm sure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SHEEDY

Don't want to lose but we will. We're badly out of our depth in division 1 and morale in the county is at an all time low. Depressing times to be a down supporter. Mayo by 7 or 8.
nil satis nisi optimum

moysider

I can t remember Down ever being at such a low ebb before. It should be a banker but you never know.
Mayo have struggled so far to convert possession into scores. Because of this the other team always have a chance. Roscommon had about 20% possession and 10 decent minutes the last day and only lost by 4 and nearly got closer. It's just not adding up for Mayo. We have forwards that can finish but our use of possession is very poor and we have no top class kick passer in the middle third of the pitch. Likes of Freeman, O Connor and Regan will do damage if they get good ball.
Mayo need to make sure of a win here and probably will go about it like they did in The Hyde. Basically throw everything at it and hope enough sticks to get over the line. If we survive there will be enough long evenings for fine tuning before we go to London.

Selection will be interesting. I expect Freeman to start again. I also thought Patrick Durkan added a lot.

larryin89

Yep I agree with ya moy re kick passing is not of good quality into ff line , is there anything to be lost by bringing Cillian out to the 40 to fill a role of distribution in.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on March 28, 2016, 09:42:57 PM

I can t remember Down ever being at such a low ebb before. It should be a banker but you never know.
Mayo have struggled so far to convert possession into scores. Because of this the other team always have a chance. Roscommon had about 20% possession and 10 decent minutes the last day and only lost by 4 and nearly got closer. It's just not adding up for Mayo. We have forwards that can finish but our use of possession is very poor and we have no top class kick passer in the middle third of the pitch. Likes of Freeman, O Connor and Regan will do damage if they get good ball.
Mayo need to make sure of a win here and probably will go about it like they did in The Hyde. Basically throw everything at it and hope enough sticks to get over the line. If we survive there will be enough long evenings for fine tuning before we go to London.

Selection will be interesting. I expect Freeman to start again. I also thought Patrick Durkan added a lot.
I think it tells you Mayo lack scoring forwards from play. Why were Mayo in a relegation battle to begin with, strength in depth not as good as original thought?

ballinaman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 28, 2016, 09:57:05 PM

I think it tells you Mayo lack scoring forwards from play. Why were Mayo in a relegation battle to begin with, strength in depth not as good as original thought?
The amount of Mayo lads studying/working in Dublin has a baring on how Mayo get on during the early stages of the league. Collective sessions are at a minimum this time of the year.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on March 28, 2016, 10:14:41 PM

The amount of Mayo lads studying/working in Dublin has a baring on how Mayo get on during the early stages of the league. Collective sessions are at a minimum this time of the year.

We have both more young lads studying around the country and more injuries than Mayo. That's no excuse.

moysider

We were in a relegation battle because of our inability to make the most of possession. It is my belief that if the approach work is right the scores will come. Since the beginning of the league we have shown little respect for possession. Loose and lazy passes, poor option taking and woeful attempts to kick pass to the inside forwards. You could put McManus, Gooch and Brogan in the Mayo team and they would look like shite with the ball they would get.
Plenty of strength in depth. As usual with us it is a tactical thing rather than a personnel thing.

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on March 28, 2016, 09:52:02 PM
Yep I agree with ya moy re kick passing is not of good quality into ff line , is there anything to be lost by bringing Cillian out to the 40 to fill a role of distribution in.

I'm sure it s something they will look at. Play with just the 2 inside.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2016, 10:18:44 PM

We have both more young lads studying around the country and more injuries than Mayo. That's no excuse.
The giddiness and excitement of playing in division 1 would have helped the Roscelona cause no doubt.

Beffs

Sure you can say that about half the country. Anyway, Mayo have the longest current stint in Division one. It's something like 15 years and counting. So the amount of lads living/working in Dublin, can't be that harmful to their Spring form.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Beffs on March 28, 2016, 10:32:41 PM

Sure you can say that about half the country. Anyway, Mayo have the longest current stint in Division one. It's something like 15 years and counting. So the amount of lads living/working in Dublin, can't be that harmful to their Spring form.

Must be great for the Dubs not having to worry about players studing/working in Dublin.  Another advantage - Is there anything going against the present Dublin set-up? They seem to have all the Ace cards!

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on March 28, 2016, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2016, 10:18:44 PM

The giddiness and excitement of playing in division 1 would have helped the Roscelona cause no doubt.
Talking about giddiness when yer boys were so hopped up on cola and jelly babies they threw the ship's captains over board in the Autumn ;D

Mclf

Quote from: moysider on March 28, 2016, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 28, 2016, 09:52:02 PM

I'm sure it s something they will look at. Play with just the 2 inside.

Just play with the one inside, Regan the Messiah,  no defence will be able for him, greatest prospect since Cooper now after his cameo yesterday. Regan for POTY and Mayo for Sam, you read it here first :-)

Beffs

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 28, 2016, 10:45:02 PM
Must be great for the Dubs not having to worry about players studing/working in Dublin.  Another advantage - Is there anything going against the present Dublin set-up? They seem to have all the Ace cards!

Dublin players circumstances don't have anything to do with Mayo trying to claim some sort of special dispensation for their Spring form, due to having so many players living in Dublin. Half the counties in Ireland can say the very same thing. Mayo's players are no way different to a lad from Donegal or Sligo or Tipp, who are also having to make a long trek home to train.