Mayo v Kerry (MacHale Park, 13/3/2016, 2.30pm)

Started by moysider, March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

are Maher and Moran injured and has the tomy wals re-integration plan been abandoned?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 10, 2016, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 09, 2016, 09:19:41 PMI haven't seen Kerry yet this year so I'm in no way able to comment on them, but I would hope that our middle sector can gain the upper hand.

Sheehan and Donaghy are a long way behind Maher and Moran as a midfield pairing imo.

Ignore Sheehan's deadball striking and he is a very ordinary intercounty midfielder in my opinion. Donaghy is far more effective a player in around the square compared to midfield.

Really wouldn't be surprised if Mayo won this sector.

David Moran is the best midfielder Kerry have but he's out with a broken hand I think. Buckley is back and will likely play in midfield Alongside Sheehan. Donaghy to play in his more familiar role at full forward.

mrhardyannual

The Mayo team for Sunday's round five Allianz Football League clash against Kerry in Elverys MacHale Park at 2.30pm is:

1.   Robbie Hennelly (Breaffy)
2.   Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3.   Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
4.   Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
5.   Lee Keegan (Westport)
6.   Colm Boyle (Davitts)
7.   Shane Nally (Garrymore)
8.   Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
9.   Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
10.  Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
11.  Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
12.  Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
13.  Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
14.  Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
15.  Conor O'Shea (Breaffy) .

moysider

Quote from: mrhardyannual on March 11, 2016, 09:45:13 PM
The Mayo team for Sunday's round five Allianz Football League clash against Kerry in Elverys MacHale Park at 2.30pm is:

1.   Robbie Hennelly (Breaffy)
2.   Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3.   Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
4.   Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
5.   Lee Keegan (Westport)
6.   Colm Boyle (Davitts)
7.   Shane Nally (Garrymore)
8.   Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
9.   Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
10.  Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
11.  Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
12.  Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
13.  Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
14.  Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
15.  Conor O'Shea (Breaffy) .

Same team as was named to start the last day but didn t?
I think we might be seeing what Rochford has in mind for us. Cunniffe, Barry Moran, Durkan and Cillian most likely to come into the frame as well.
We might as well enjoy this team while we can. A horror result for minors tonight after a couple of poor years at U18. Not to mention U21 recent history.

Farrandeelin

Agree moy. Maybe that's the reason our tried and trusted have been on the team for so long. Our recent u21 record is shocking.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Would expect a big improvement with Mayo U21s this year. Play Leitrim for a place in the final which no disrespect to leitrim should be a straight forward win. Likely final against Roscommon who Mayo have beaten in at minor level 2013 and 2014.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Sheehan seems to be massively underrated as a midfielder, but the man has won an Allstar there in 2011 and put in some excellent performances there. Was keeping David Moran out of the team in 2014 up until an injury against Galway. He actually was only ok from play against Donegal but was still probably the most effective player around the middle. If he maintains his sharpness I'd have no problem playing him there.
Donaghy won't last out there when it comes down to it fair enough, but not many options right now.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

FL/MAYO

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

maigheo

Vaughan and Carolan to start instead of Regan and Barrett

Tubberman

Sounds like a poor second half performance from Mayo. Completely outplayed and a lot of wides kicked.
The Rossies is a huge game now, they are flying, we are struggling....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Well where do you start! Well, if there was a Manual on what not to do in a football match. Mayo would have covered all the practical examples today. Really missed Regan for frees today. Wonder why he was not started? Was it because of the physicality Kerry would bring? Kerry got a lot of soft frees in the first half and  I wonder is it something to do with Cafferkey, but it seems he can not touch a Kerry player without it being a free. Donaghy in Limerick, Gooch today. Both got a free pass! O'Mahoney worked a treat as a sweeper in front of the Full back line. The O'Shea Full forward tactic is getting lame. Kerry were lucky to be just a point down at half time and they came out all guns blazing in the second half. Kerry second goal was fortuitous, and Hennelly won't want to see the replays.

You'd have to admire the way the Kerry team controlled everything for the last 15/20 minutes. They took Mayo on the counter and soaked up anything we had to offer. Frees and injuries took a lifetime. Andy's moment of panic going for goal when a simple tap over and at least 10 minutes of time to go. I counted on at least six occasions where Aidan to a free in on goal. All of them loobed in. Only problem was he was not there to contest them. Both Donaghy and Diarmuid were unlucky to be sent off. The rules are all over the place when players get away with consistent fowling and other players get sent off for handbags.

You'd be a bit depressed leaving as a Mayo supporter. A lot of the old habits/problems are there. We paniced a bit to early in the second half.

If we are to take any comfort. It's only the League. We still have survival in our own hands. There are important players to come back.

I suppose now  it's down to Monaghan keeping us in Division One. The Rossie will want to rub salt in our wounds in 2 weeks time. Really looking forward to that one now. There will be some crowd there and I expect a crunching tie.

Kudos to Roscommon! Word of warning Derry had a similar run in the League a few years ago and imploded in the Championship. Although I have a suspicion that this is not the false dawn Derry had.

thebuzz

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 05:46:21 PM
Well where do you start! Well, if there was a Manual on what not to do in a football match. Mayo would have covered all the practical examples today. Really missed Regan for frees today. Wonder why he was not started? Was it because of the physicality Kerry would bring? Kerry got a lot of soft frees in the first half and  I wonder is it something to do with Cafferkey, but it seems he can not touch a Kerry player without it being a free. Donaghy in Limerick, Gooch today. Both got a free pass! O'Mahoney worked a treat as a sweeper in front of the Full back line. The O'Shea Full forward tactic is getting lame. Kerry were lucky to be just a point down at half time and they came out all guns blazing in the second half. Kerry second goal was fortuitous, and Hennelly won't want to see the replays.

You'd have to admire the way the Kerry team controlled everything for the last 15/20 minutes. They took Mayo on the counter and soaked up anything we had to offer. Frees and injuries took a lifetime. Andy's moment of panic going for goal when a simple tap over and at least 10 minutes of time to go. I counted on at least six occasions where Aidan to a free in on goal. All of them loobed in. Only problem was he was not there to contest them. Both Donaghy and Diarmuid were unlucky to be sent off. The rules are all over the place when players get away with consistent fowling and other players get sent off for handbags.

You'd be a bit depressed leaving as a Mayo supporter. A lot of the old habits/problems are there. We paniced a bit to early in the second half.

If we are to take any comfort. It's only the League. We still have survival in our own hands. There are important players to come back.

I suppose now  it's down to Monaghan keeping us in Division One. The Rossie will want to rub salt in our wounds in 2 weeks time. Really looking forward to that one now. There will be some crowd there and I expect a crunching tie.

Kudos to Roscommon! Word of warning Derry had a similar run in the League a few years ago and imploded in the Championship. Although I have a suspicion that this is not the false dawn Derry had.

No team has had more false dawns that Derry.  :( Roscommon do genuinely look very good.

Farrandeelin

Ah sure at least we won the wide count. 14 to 3 or something to that effect. Says it all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Depressing stuff. A big step backwards today.

We got a lesson today how to control a game and use possession wisely and productively. Our lads are putting in big shifts but it's laboured and naïve.
Once we went a few points down again it was as good as over. Even against 14 men and playing at home we were beaten from a long way out.