The mystery of Kildare

Started by seafoid, December 17, 2015, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I was wondering driving off the cork motorway past goffs and signs for russborough house and all tbe great land. How is it that Kildare  have not won an all ireland since 1928?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2015, 01:57:27 PM
I was wondering driving off the cork motorway past goffs and signs for russborough house and all tbe great land. How is it that Kildare  have not won an all ireland since 1928?

No natural forwards.

(steps away and waits for Dinny :) )

Canalman

Yep, often wondered that. Football mad, wealthy, close to a city but far enough away to keep the rural feel to the place and thriving club scene. A mystery really why they haven't won more.

Sneering  south county attitude to the clubs in the suburb towns like Leixlip, Maynooth, Celbridge etc gone now  which I believe which  will help alot in the future.

Would like to see them do well. Some support when they are going well .

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 17, 2015, 02:00:26 PM

No natural forwards.

Could they not breed some at Goffs?

deiseach

Given all the good land and the big houses, why are they no good at hurling? They beat Waterford three times out of six in the League in the 1970's. I know things were falling apart here at that stage, but Offaly only managed to beat us once in four games in that decade. Offaly and Kildare clearly went in opposite directions in the 1980's (Waterford went the same direction as Kildare).

As for football, they're probably not filtee enough.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on December 17, 2015, 02:15:00 PM
Given all the good land and the big houses, why are they no good at hurling? They beat Waterford three times out of six in the League in the 1970's. I know things were falling apart here at that stage, but Offaly only managed to beat us once in four games in that decade. Offaly and Kildare clearly went in opposite directions in the 1980's (Waterford went the same direction as Kildare).

As for football, they're probably not filtee enough.
Not close enough to the hurling blocs I suppose. But the football is a real headscratcher. They have a very bad finals record at all grades.

Rossfan

Too rich, too much interest in horse racing,
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shannoncider

Quote from: Canalman on December 17, 2015, 02:13:35 PM
Yep, often wondered that. Football mad, wealthy, close to a city but far enough away to keep the rural feel to the place and thriving club scene. A mystery really why they haven't won more.

Sneering  south county attitude to the clubs in the suburb towns like Leixlip, Maynooth, Celbridge etc gone now  which I believe which  will help alot in the future.

Would like to see them do well. Some support when they are going well .

The club scene in Kildare is shite not one decent team out of the county in years. The problem with Kildare is they are wanna be Dubs and think the are better than they are.

thejuice

Their menfolk are like feeble old women and their womenfolk are like lecherous old men.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Meath seem to sunk to Kildare's level these days.
Karma for 2010 I suppose.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 17, 2015, 02:00:26 PM

No natural forwards.

#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on December 17, 2015, 05:04:05 PM
Meath seem to sunk to Kildare's level these days.
Karma for 2010 I suppose.

;D

rrhf

Always had a soft spot for Kildare.  At about the age of 6 i believed that Tyrone were the lilywhites and even made a paper hat for myself when I was a cub,  in red and white which said Up the lilywhites!! It was 2 years later before  Someone had the heart to tell me the lilywhites were Kildare.

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on December 17, 2015, 08:51:14 PM
Always had a soft spot for Kildare.  At about the age of 6 i believed that Tyrone were the lilywhites and even made a paper hat for myself when I was a cub,  in red and white which said Up the lilywhites!! It was 2 years later before  Someone had the heart to tell me the lilywhites were Kildare.
Me too regarding the soft spot. I would love to see them winning an all Ireland. I wonder which of Cavan, Ros, Mayo and the Lilies will do it first. 4 counties with great tradition and a huge unmet need for Sam.

5 Sams

Maybe everyone has a soft spot for Kildare because we can always beat them :( Some serious players though. Glen Ryan a legend as is Anthony Rainbow. Among others...though Bill Sex was the first Kildare player to catch my attention....(wonder why???)
The Aristocrat Years