How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

2012 was Dublins first minor All Ireland title won since 1984

2003 was the only U-21 All Ireland Dublin had won however they have now won three U-21 All Irelands in the last six years.

2011 was not only Dublins first Senior All Ireland win but also their All Ireland final appearance since 1995. Three Senior All Irelands won now in the last five years with many more to come.

In fairness whatever the reason for it thats some turn around and how many here seen it coming in 2009?

Wildweasel74

Ah hell why forget about Kerry in the mix

1 Stephen Cluxton
2 Marc O`Se
3 Rory O`Carroll
4 Conor Gormley
5 Tomas O`Se
6 Joe McMahon
7 Philip Jordan
8 Dara O`Se
9 Sean Cavanagh
10 Paul Flynn
11 Dermot Connolly
12 Brian Dooher
13 Colin Cooper
14 Stephen O`Neill
15 Bernard Brogan

Theres a neutral point of view, some close calls with T O`Sullivan, M McCarthy, C O`Sullivan, D O`Sullivan, J McCarthy, B McGuigan, P Gavlin, K Donaghy, A Brogan (done over the past 5 yrs) P Canavan (Also done over the time period Tyrone were going well), now close the thread, its well worn thin

Wildweasel74

A good point has been made here about funding, a large major of counties and especially clubs in the 6 counties has enjoyed lotto funding (It helped us build our football pitch and club house) where down south, they have never enjoyed the benefit of the same type of funding. I know a team in swords and a team in Gorey which basically had to self fund to build there facilities. You don't hear that side of the argument when bitching about Dublin's funding

BennyHarp

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 25, 2015, 11:25:43 PM

1 Stephen Cluxton
2 Marc O`Se
3 Rory O`Carroll
4 Conor Gormley
5 Tomas O`Se
6 Joe McMahon
7 Philip Jordan
8 Dara O`Se
9 Sean Cavanagh
10 Paul Flynn
11 Dermot Connolly
12 Brian Dooher
13 Colin Cooper
14 Stephen O`Neill
15 Bernard Brogan

Theres a neutral point of view, some close calls with T O`Sullivan, M McCarthy, J McCarthy, B McGuigan, P Gavlin, K Donaghy, A Brogan (done over the past 5 yrs) P Canavan (Also done over the time period Tyrone were going well), now close the thread, its well worn thin

;D This made me laugh. Cheers, Weasel.
That was never a square ball!!

sid waddell

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 25, 2015, 11:25:43 PM

1 Stephen Cluxton
2 Marc O`Se
3 Rory O`Carroll
4 Conor Gormley
5 Tomas O`Se
6 Joe McMahon
7 Philip Jordan
8 Dara O`Se
9 Sean Cavanagh
10 Paul Flynn
11 Dermot Connolly
12 Brian Dooher
13 Colin Cooper
14 Stephen O`Neill
15 Bernard Brogan

Theres a neutral point of view, some close calls with T O`Sullivan, M McCarthy, J McCarthy, B McGuigan, P Gavlin, K Donaghy, A Brogan (done over the past 5 yrs) P Canavan (Also done over the time period Tyrone were going well), now close the thread, its well worn thin
The former Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough centre half has done very well to get into that team at corner forward. Juninho could have done a job at 11, I think.

heffo

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 25, 2015, 11:31:26 PM
A good point has been made here about funding, a large major of counties and especially clubs in the 6 counties has enjoyed lotto funding (It helped us build our football pitch and club house) where down south, they have never enjoyed the benefit of the same type of funding. I know a team in swords and a team in Gorey which basically had to self fund to build there facilities. You don't hear that side of the argument when bitching about Dublin's funding

I've mentioned it several times but it always brushed under the mat.

The Ulster council received £120m in funding from the British govt - puts Dublins primary school funding in the halfpenny place.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 25, 2015, 10:34:11 PM

2003 was the only U-21 All Ireland Dublin had won however they have now won three U-21 All Irelands in the last six years.

2011 was not only Dublins first Senior All Ireland win but also their All Ireland final appearance since 1995. Three Senior All Irelands won now in the last five years with many more to come.

In fairness whatever the reason for it thats some turn around and how many here seen it coming in 2009?

Dublin had form in the 70's, 80's and the 90's. Titles all won in those decades. They had a base, a legacy. To say Dublin 2011 (no more than Kerry last year) where coming from nowhere is very short sighted. You really are short sighted if you think so.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: heffo on September 26, 2015, 08:25:22 AM

The Ulster council received £120m in funding from the British govt - puts Dublins primary school funding in the halfpenny place.

Flesh that one out.

easytiger95

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 26, 2015, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 25, 2015, 10:34:11 PM

Dublin had form in the 70's, 80's and the 90's. Titles all won in those decades. They had a base, a legacy. To say Dublin 2011 (no more than Kerry last year) where coming from nowhere is very short sighted. You really are short sighted if you think so.

Bunker it is all relative - for instance Omagh Joe suggested that Tyrone had a bigger mental obstacle to overcome, given their lack of a legacy. I'd counter that Dublin's legacy was a huge thing to overcome for the current crop, certainly it was a massive albatross round the neck of the team in the noughties. Expectation can be as big a disadvantage as inexperience.

All subjective of course, but let's actually look at the Dubs performances since 2000 -

2001 - beaten by Meath in the Leinster Final, beaten by Kerry in AI QF after a replay - nowhere near Top 4 nationally
2002 - Leinster champions, beaten by Armagh in AI SF - Top 4 definitely
2003 - beaten by Laois in Leinster, beaten by Armagh in AI qualifers - nowhere near Top 4 nationally
2004 - beaten by Westmeath in Leinster, hammered by Kerry in AI QF - nowhere near Top 4 nationally
2005 - Leinster champions, beaten by Tyrone after a replay in AI QF - perhaps Top 6
2006 - Leinster champions, beaten by Mayo in AI SF - Top 4
2007 - Leinster champions, beaten by Kerry in AI SF - Top 4
2008 - Leinster champions, hammered by Tyrone in AI QF - nowhere near Top 4 nationally
2009 - Leinster champions, hammered by Kerry in AI QF - nowhere near Top 4 nationally
2010 - beaten by Meath in Leinster, beaten by Cork in AI SF - Top 4

For Dublin, it was a record of underachievement only surpassed by the late sixties, early seventies - bearing in mind we were relegated to Division 2 for a year as well in the middle of the decade - throw in 96 to 2000 when were beaten in Leinster every year, and for a county with all our supposed advantages and we were listing very badly. The turnaround in our fortunes has been amazing, and mentally i think it matches the achievements of Armagh and Tyrone in coming through.

IMHO, of course.

heffo

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 26, 2015, 11:38:01 AM

Flesh that one out.

It's been fleshed out numerous times by me including links to sources - doesn't fit the agenda of 'fior gaels' around here though.

I'm too busy celebrating the start of a great dynasty, do your own homework.

Captain Obvious

Where did i say this? i was talking about the turnaround Dublin have made since 2009. For example no senior All Ireland final appearance for sixteen years and now have won three senior All Irelands in five years.

Kerry not the same as they had won the All Ireland in 2009 and reached the final in 2011.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 26, 2015, 05:44:40 PM

Where did i say this? i was talking about the turnaround Dublin have made since 2009. For example no senior All Ireland final appearance for sixteen years and now have won three senior All Irelands in five years.

Kerry not the same as they had won the All Ireland in 2009 and reached the final in 2011.

Sorry, reading back i could see how my last post could sound aggressive and belittling. It was not meant to be. Just Dublin are always near the top the it's hard to describe them as coming from nowhere.

The Aristocrat

And the rest Indiana, sure how can we compete with that. At least the Dubs generate most of their own revenue.

WT4E

Can't believe Brian McGuigan doesnt make every team - in my opinion he is the greatest 11 of all time. Far more important to Tyrone than B Dooher IMO.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: heffo on September 26, 2015, 01:15:25 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 26, 2015, 11:38:01 AM

Flesh that one out.

It's been fleshed out numerous times by me including links to sources - doesn't fit the agenda of 'fior gaels' around here though.

I'm too busy celebrating the start of a great dynasty, do your own homework.

I'll take your reluctance to do so as an admission that you don't know what you're talking about.