Tír Eoghain vs Doire, Saturday 28th Feb, 7pm @ Healy Park

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 08, 2015, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

You'd want to be addressing that one to the Derry wans seafoid, he's well over our county border! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 09, 2015, 09:03:55 PM
You'd want to be addressing that one to the Derry wans seafoid, he's well over our county border! ;)
But how do ye do it in throne ? why is Sean Cavanagh not Seany , for example ? How do you draw the line ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not so much of a line I'd say, and there'd be nothing scientific to it, more just if it 'feels right'.

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2015, 09:14:27 PM
But how do ye do it in throne ? why is Sean Cavanagh not Seany , for example ? How do you draw the line ?

Its the townies Seafoid esp the Omagh wans they always end y to everyones name. Sort of similar to the DUbs adding an "o" or "er" to end of names
Justin becomes Justy
Ronan become Rony
Although I never heard big Joe McMahon being called Joey too much. Maybe its because he was big Joe or maybe its because they didnt want him being associated with a Kangoroo
Ex county star Seanie Meyler was an Omagh townie for example
Sean Cavanagh coming from the east of the county wouldnt get the same treatment

Thats not to say that it doesn't exist outside of Omagh but i think its prevalence increased exponentially the closer you get to the Gallows Hill neighborhood

Some names are deemed not be suitable tho for whatever reason. For example I never heard of Niall becoming Nially or Conor becoming Conorie

Also if your first name is not deemed suitable then your surname maybe given a "y" but never both together for example
Ronan Mullin would become Rony MUllin, never Ronan MUlly or Rony Mully
whereas
Conor Mullin would become Mully never Conor Mully or Conorie MUllin

Another thing to note there seems to be a rule where you drop all subsequent syllables to the first and add the y
For example:

Declan becomes Deccy
Arthur becomes Artty

Hmmm complicated ... i think you'll need a true townie linguist to answer this one properly

rodney trotter

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Derry have a long wait for this game - they need to use the break positively and almost hope that Stacks win ( don't say it out loud ) so that they can get the Slaughneil lads back on board. Tyrone can spend the time wallowing in the Mayo win and that could be destabilising for them. Big pressure on Derry. Home venue will suit Derry.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

tbrick18

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2015, 11:57:03 PM
Big fan of Morgan and he plays the game with gay abandon (copyright Fermanagh 2004) but he'll get nailed soon.

Fergus?  ;)

In all fairness, I like Morgan. I think its good to see players with a bit of personality instead of conforming to the stereotypical footballer type. Gives the game a bit of flavour. He's a top keeper and even he does get "nailed" soon, his positive effect by far outweighs any potential negative.

Cant see Derry getting anything from this game....in fact I can see us relegated at a very early stage in this league campaign. We are missing too many key players at the moment. Not sure if any will be back for the Tyrone game, but I'd like to think we'll increase the intensity a bit for the inbreds just to keep it interesting.

Aristo 60

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 09, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

Its the townies Seafoid esp the Omagh wans they always end y to everyones name. Sort of similar to the DUbs adding an "o" or "er" to end of names
Justin becomes Justy
Ronan become Rony
Although I never heard big Joe McMahon being called Joey too much. Maybe its because he was big Joe or maybe its because they didnt want him being associated with a Kangoroo

Thats not to say that it doesn't exist outside of Omagh but i think its prevalence increased exponentially the closer you get to the Gallows Hill neighborhood

Some names are deemed not be suitable tho for whatever reason. For example I never heard of Niall becoming Nially or Conor becoming Conorie

Also if your first name is not deemed suitable then your surname maybe given a "y" but never both together for example
whereas

Another thing to note there seems to be a rule where you drop all subsequent syllables to the first and add the y
For example:

Declan becomes Deccy
Arthur becomes Artty

Hmmm complicated ... i think you'll need a true townie linguist to answer this one properly

Enjoyable post.

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 09, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

Justin becomes Justy
Ronan become Rony

whereas

For example:

Declan becomes Deccy
Arthur becomes Artty

Thanks Joe

In Galway ín is added to the name so Joe becomes Joeín and Pat is Patín

I even heard a Paul being called Paulín but it sounded very girly

rrhf

Are we going to send a few free tickets to derry supporters to try and get a good crowd in.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: rrhf on February 12, 2015, 11:16:19 PM
Are we going to send a few free tickets to derry supporters to try and get a good crowd in.

Yeah, with a £50 note in each! ;)

theticklemister

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 12, 2015, 11:21:25 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 12, 2015, 11:16:19 PM

Yeah, with a £50 note in each! ;)

A Strabane man wouldn't know what a £50 note looked like