So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Main Street

Is this 10 minute length of time to serve in the sin bin, accepted without question as being a suitable length of time?

If your county's manager was given the choice of replacing a black carded player immediately or playing with a player down for 10 minutes while he serves out his time in the bin, which option do you think that manager would choose?

In team handball, 7 players,  where there's 30 minutes of actual play each half (stoppages not counted), the sin bin time is 2 minutes for the sinner.
If a player is sin binned 3 times in the one game, then he's red carded but can be replaced after the 2 minutes has elapsed.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on October 12, 2016, 05:56:19 PM
Is this 10 minute length of time to serve in the sin bin, accepted without question as being a suitable length of time?

If your county's manager was given the choice of replacing a black carded player immediately or playing with a player down for 10 minutes while he serves out his time in the bin, which option do you think that manager would choose?

In team handball, 7 players,  where there's 30 minutes of actual play each half (stoppages not counted), the sin bin time is 2 minutes for the sinner.
If a player is sin binned 3 times in the one game, then he's red carded but can be replaced after the 2 minutes has elapsed.

That's why a sin bin would be a better deterrent.

Also losing a player in a 7 a side is worse than 15 a side so will leave the game too lop sided I'd imagine
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

I'd say most managers would chose to replace the player immediately rather than play 10 minutes a player down.
Somehow I have this fixed memory of the black card fiasco from the past and poor Mickey Harte driven demented.

I was perhaps mistaken in thinking that the people who were complaining about the black card were complaining that it was too draconian, 'the poor lad only pulled the leg a bit, has been training for years to achieve his AI final dream and then the ref sends him off for a black card offense, oh what a shame, so unfair'. And now those people are pumping for the sin bin as an addition or replacement for some black card crimes. Whereas imo, 10 minutes in the sin bin is more draconian.

I'd more see  10 minutes in the sin bin as a replacement for the red card offense.
(2 yellow cards, the straight red,  the one yellow and one black).

There is a case for increasing punishment as a deterrent in some areas but that method does not work in most areas. There is a fixed belief that punishment works as a deterrent. I would see a greater positive to have 2 refs, discrete video ref assistance and and seeing as the standard of the refs' decisions is a permanent bugbear, there's an argument for having a panel of full time refs.

macdanger2

Is the problem not the inconsistent application of the rule rather than the punishment? To improve this, you either need to use video evidence or simplify the list of offences

rrhf

I expect the black card to get the black card at some point shortly and also expect everyone to forget it ever happened.  until another group of eejits put it to congress in 10 years or so.

Jinxy

It's your crowd's fault we ever had it to begin with.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omaghjoe

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 12, 2016, 11:07:09 PM
Is the problem not the inconsistent application of the rule rather than the punishment? To improve this, you either need to use video evidence or simplify the list of offences

...And ironically the problem it was supposed to solve was caused by the inconsistent application of the rules.

Fuzzman

I know the blanket defence came into force before the black card but does the black card add to the reason why more and more teams are happy to play with so many defenders behind the ball?
The skill of man to man defending seems to be disappearing year on year with more teams depending on getting men back in numbers to close off space with the risk of players getting a black card should they make a bad tackle.

So some would say the black card has led to more diving and more blanket defence, even for teams like Kerry, Mayo and Dublin.

Jinxy

It's definitely resulted in more diving but I don't think it's across the board.
There are about half a dozen high-profile divers that are constantly trying to manufacture cards of some colour or other.

westbound

I heard the president on the radio this morning, he said that the stats from first 3 years with the black card show that there were MORE scores and LESS frees than the previous 3 years without the black card!

Obviously, he would say that, but I assume his stats are accurate.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: westbound on October 13, 2016, 10:32:37 AM
I heard the president on the radio this morning, he said that the stats from first 3 years with the black card show that there were MORE scores and LESS frees than the previous 3 years without the black card!

Obviously, he would say that, but I assume his stats are accurate.
What about the stats for incorrect decisions?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Define an 'incorrect decision'?
Did James McCarthy deserve a black card in the drawn game against Mayo?
As far as I'm concerned, yes he did.
That didn't stop people having a go at the ref/linesman afterwards.
The correctness, or otherwise, of a black card decision is largely in the eye of the beholder.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on October 13, 2016, 11:00:50 AM
Define an 'incorrect decision'?
Did James McCarthy deserve a black card in the drawn game against Mayo?
As far as I'm concerned, yes he did.
That didn't stop people having a go at the ref/linesman afterwards.
The correctness, or otherwise, of a black card decision is largely in the eye of the beholder.

And there in lies its major problem.
Alot of these decisions are impossible to nail down to a  definitive right of wrong.
Off the top of my head , the mattie donnelly one v donegal, the lee keegan one in the replay,the non- cards for small & Md Mcauley in the final where all incorrect.
The problem is these are potential game changing decisions that are regularly being called wrongly.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

It mostly comes down to either:
a) The referee's interpretation of the level of 'intent' involved,
or
b) The referee's willingness to end a players involvement at an early or pivotal point in the game.

AZOffaly

And it should be a) completely. B should not come into it.