So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

maigheo

Quote from: highorlow on June 15, 2014, 10:09:07 PM
Very bad ref again today. Rules not implemented. Didnt effect result.

The SG lads should get eugene mcgee in to explain himself.
are you sure you would want that?I think I would prefer to bore a hole in my head than listen to Eugene MC Gee drone on about anything.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: LeoMc on June 15, 2014, 10:14:04 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 15, 2014, 09:55:24 PM
Based on the rules, McCurry's black and Mone's yellow were IMHO correct. Which was cynical?
Both were cynical, but where there is an element of physicality it gives the Ref the option of going for the yellow.

It doesn't. Mone's didn't fit into the list of black card offences; McCurry's did. A year ago, McCurry would have been very unlucky to receive a yellow.

LeoMc

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 10:18:13 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 15, 2014, 10:15:47 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 15, 2014, 09:58:50 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 15, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
It should be abundantly clear now that those who invented, proposed, championed and voted for the black card have absolutely no understanding how modern-day Gaelic football is played.

Once Cavanagh retires hopefully fewer refs will be conned into giving black cards!!
Waiting on TSG now but at the time I thought Cavanagh was fouled each time, he "made sure" it was seen for the Hughes one
I've just watched the game (Sky+) - Cavanagh very clearly pulled Hughes down and both Brolly and Spillane pointed it out after the game. Once again, Hughes is cheated by Cavanagh and there's a card and a free in when it should have been a free out.

Still waiting but I am not denying it, though I thought Hughes was fouling him at the time. The only black card should have been Cavanaghs, he should have got his foul and moved on. Penrose got away with a more obvious one in the first half.

LeoMc

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 15, 2014, 10:22:52 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 15, 2014, 10:14:04 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 15, 2014, 09:55:24 PM
Based on the rules, McCurry's black and Mone's yellow were IMHO correct. Which was cynical?
Both were cynical, but where there is an element of physicality it gives the Ref the option of going for the yellow.

It doesn't. Mone's didn't fit into the list of black card offences; McCurry's did. A year ago, McCurry would have been very unlucky to receive a yellow.
Depending on whether we was accidentally clumsy or not. I think the Ref got it right but am reluctant to give Mone the benefit if the doubt.

From the Bunker

We have to many cards. Referees use the yellow as an excuse not to use a black. The game is too fast and players/coaches are too cute for most referees. The sin bin was the answer like the Ladies game. But us lads have to complicate things.

AZOffaly

Let there be no confusion. The reason the sin bin is not in our game is because the managers whinged and bitched about that back then too. That was probably the best solution of all.

Itchy

I thought the ref today did ok, now the ref last week was shocking. We can complain about today's ref but look at all the debate on here for black cards and we have slow motion replays. What hope has a ref of getting them all right? The rule us destined to fail for that reason and also because more players will follow Sean Cavanaghs lead and buy a black card for an opponent. When it happens to a dub on all Ireland final day the rule will be binned.

Itchy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2014, 10:37:15 PM
Let there be no confusion. The reason the sin bin is not in our game is because the managers whinged and bitched about that back then too. That was probably the best solution of all.

Very true. Simple solution. Old rules but a yellow card gets you 10 mins in the sin bin.

And foremost of that gallant band was Harte from south Tyrone.

muppet

This was the best solution. But the powers that be declined to stand up for themselves after criticism from a few high profile managers.
MWWSI 2017

Waterford - Clare highlights there. Maurice Deegan appears not to understand the rules. First black was never a black. Second was though.

From the Bunker

Can you imagine that game today with the sin bin in the closing minutes? Monaghan would have been under serious pressure if they had players Sin binned rather than black carded and replaced with fresh lungs. Just wondering - has the tick in the book gone completely from the game?

Maguire01

Quote from: LeoMc on June 15, 2014, 10:25:03 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 10:18:13 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 15, 2014, 10:15:47 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 15, 2014, 09:58:50 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 15, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
It should be abundantly clear now that those who invented, proposed, championed and voted for the black card have absolutely no understanding how modern-day Gaelic football is played.

Once Cavanagh retires hopefully fewer refs will be conned into giving black cards!!
Waiting on TSG now but at the time I thought Cavanagh was fouled each time, he "made sure" it was seen for the Hughes one
I've just watched the game (Sky+) - Cavanagh very clearly pulled Hughes down and both Brolly and Spillane pointed it out after the game. Once again, Hughes is cheated by Cavanagh and there's a card and a free in when it should have been a free out.

Still waiting but I am not denying it, though I thought Hughes was fouling him at the time. The only black card should have been Cavanaghs, he should have got his foul and moved on. Penrose got away with a more obvious one in the first half.
Fairly clear-cut Leo, no?

screenexile

Thought this was quite witty!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-top-10-unofficial-rules-of-the-gaa-that-referees-must-observe-1.1834021

With the recent advent of Sky Sports covering GAA matches, we've noticed (even more) puzzlement with some refereeing decisions. The problem is many of the rules of hurling and football are not in the official rulebook. They are handed from generation to generation.

Here are 10 of the most important unofficial rules of the game that GAA referees traditionally observe.

1 If any team breaks a deadlock by scoring as time runs out, the referee shall give the losing side a chance to square the match. Should the winning team gain possession from the puck/ kick-out, it is okay to blow the full-time whistle. But it is seen as considered bad form to end the match if the losing side has the ball.

Known as the . . . One for the road rule.

2 It is, of course, a foul for a player going up for a high ball to knee an opposing player in the back or elbow them in the face . . . unless they catch it. Then, well, fair play.

Known as the . . . Machiavelli rule.

3 player is not fouling the ball if an opposing player is fouling them at the same time. Therefore, a referee will not start counting steps a player takes with the ball in hand until the opposing player has let go of their jersey.

Known as the . . . What's good for the goose rule.

3A Subsection to the above rule: The more likely a player is to score a goal, the more steps the referee will allow them to take with ball in hand.

Known as the . . . Forwards rule! rule.

4 One-on-one fights are the responsibility of the referee. However anything involving more than two or three players can be construed as a melee and the referee only has to note its occurrence for a later committee.

Known as the . . . One death is a tragedy, 30 is a statistic rule.

5 The only thing on the ref's mind when throwing in a sliotar is not getting hit himself. Where it goes, or who else gets hit, is not his problem.

Known as the . . . Every man for himself rule.

6 Players should try not to get on the wrong side of the umpires. Apart from them possibly having to make a 50-50 call later in the game, one of them is probably the referee's lift home.

Known as the . . . My mate's the boss rule.

7 Umpires can change their minds at any time. They may for example, put their hand up to draw the referee's attention to an off-the-ball incident . However, if the referee doesn't notice the signal inside a minute, it's perfectly acceptable to put their arm down and forget the incident ever happened.

Known as the . . . My arm is getting sore rule.

8 If the crowd loudly complains that a free-taker has stolen a few extra yards before placing the ball, the referee will insist the player retreats even if he didn't see it happen. GAA referee's trust the crowd more than the player.

Known as the . . . Home town benefits rule.

9 After awarding a free, the ref may bring the ball forward 13 metres for dissent. However, no referee is expected to know how far 13 metres is – anywhere between five metres and half the length of the pitch is considered acceptable. Unlike soccer, no magic spray needed.

Known as the . . . A piece of string rule.

AZOffaly

It's funny because they are nearly all true. James McGrath ran half the length of Semple Stadium yesterday bringing a free up for Cork after some dissent. I do love the one where the umpire leaves his arm up, starts to feel maybe it wasn't a big deal, oh Jaysus the crowd are looking at me and giving out, Oh no, now they are laughing because the ref hasn't seen me. What'll I do? Ah f**k it, take down the arm and forget about it.