So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

BennyHarp

I wonder when Mr Coldrick reflects on his application of the black card last night will he be able to explain how the Donegal goalkeeper escaped one?
That was never a square ball!!

tippabu

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 11, 2018, 08:28:28 AM
I wonder when Mr Coldrick reflects on his application of the black card last night will he be able to explain how the Donegal goalkeeper escaped one?

he had no problem dishing one out to us early in the game when we were in the all ireland semi for a very borderline call. goalkeepers are immune to getting black cards it seems

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Jayop

The black card is a pure farce and to be honest i's not even a punishment to the top teams unless it's a Peter Harte or a Michael Murphy that gets one. Pretty much all the top 6 or so teams will have a like for like replacement for all but 1 or 2 players on the bench already. I didn't see the O'Donnell one yesterday but the lad that came on for him was a more than equal replacement anyway so what's the point. It was and still is a GAA solution to a problem that rather than solve the problem of cynical play, it now legitimised it. The refs are completely incapable of applying it evenly even in the same game let alone across a season. An accidental trip when a team is already cruising through a game in extra time with a huge lead nowhere near the goal is deemed a black card yet cynical fouling of a player through on goal to possibly decide a game isn't unless it falls within the narrow idiotic definition of the card.

IMO the whole thing needs to be scrapped and replaced with a yellow card sin bin like they have in rugby. Anything cynical, diving, verbal abuse, dangerous tackles, consistent fouling by a player or even by a team outside the scoring zone should be punished with the 10 minutes off the pitch. However to properly implement this you need to have the clock stopping for injuries etc as during the league you seen teams simply wasting 7 or 8 minutes of the sin bin time pretending to be hurt.

Main Street

The black card recipient leaves the pitch and is replaced by a player who has a clean disciplinary slate.
In many cases that isn't a punishment for a black card offence, it's a detox.
Could the original sin theory be applied? that a black card replacement sub has the equivalent of a yellow card infraction as soom as he enters the game and if he picks up one yellow card, he's sent off.

Personally I didn't like the effect that the 10 minute sin bin had on the game.

Jayop

Quote from: Main Street on July 22, 2019, 03:29:42 PM
The black card recipient leaves the pitch and is replaced by a player who has a clean disciplinary slate.
Could the original sin theory be applied? that a black card replacement sub has the equivalent of a yellow card infraction as soom as he enters the game and if he picks up one yellow card, he's sent off.

Completely unfair on the player coming in imo to have him on a card for something he didn't do. the 10 minute sin was poorly implemented for the league this year and the Tyrone/Monaghan game's sin bin before half time would not be what you'd normally expect to happen. Also if the black/Sinbin was more liberally applied for all the things I listed in my last post you would have either of 2 things happen.

1) A lot more sin bins, including concurrent sin bins for the same team resulting in a big advantage for the team with 15 players

or

2) A stop to cynical fouling, tactical fouling like we seen from Cork at the weekend around the half way line to stop a break, verbal abuse of players and officials, diving etc.

BennyCake

Yellow = sin bin, you'd see the case with the danger players taken out.

Niggling instigated by the defender, with the likes of a corner back and say, Michael Murphy sin binned for two yellows. We all know refs usually show two yellows when it's clear one player has been the innocent victim. It's a cop out.

I'd say any fan would like to see the likes of Murphy taken out for 10 against their team. And it would get to the point where that sort of thing would be encouraged.

Main Street

Quote from: Jayop on July 22, 2019, 03:35:54 PM

Completely unfair on the player coming in imo to have him on a card for something he didn't do. the 10 minute sin was poorly implemented for the league this year and the Tyrone/Monaghan game's sin bin before half time would not be what you'd normally expect to happen. Also if the black/Sinbin was more liberally applied for all the things I listed in my last post you would have either of 2 things happen.

1) A lot more sin bins, including concurrent sin bins for the same team resulting in a big advantage for the team with 15 players

or

2) A stop to cynical fouling, tactical fouling like we seen from Cork at the weekend around the half way line to stop a break, verbal abuse of players and officials, diving etc.
It's not unfair on the black card replacement to already have a yellow card. It's not a personal punishment, it's a punishment on the team.
Where do get the idea that the black card /sin bin is just a punishment on the player? it's a team punishment.
A red card is a punishment on the team on the day.

rosnarun

Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2019, 03:40:56 PM
Yellow = sin bin, you’d see the case with the danger players taken out.

Niggling instigated by the defender, with the likes of a corner back and say, Michael Murphy sin binned for two yellows. We all know refs usually show two yellows when it’s clear one player has been the innocent victim. It’s a cop out.

I’d say any fan would like to see the likes of Murphy taken out for 10 against their team. And it would get to the point where that sort of thing would be encouraged.
Black Card 14 yard free middle of the goal , but only for really cynical sean Cavanagh type fouls , Far too much Pork belly politics went into the current rules
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jayop

Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2019, 03:40:56 PM
Yellow = sin bin, you'd see the case with the danger players taken out.

Niggling instigated by the defender, with the likes of a corner back and say, Michael Murphy sin binned for two yellows. We all know refs usually show two yellows when it's clear one player has been the innocent victim. It's a cop out.

I'd say any fan would like to see the likes of Murphy taken out for 10 against their team. And it would get to the point where that sort of thing would be encouraged.

And maybe this would force refs to stop this cop out guessing when two players are rolling about on the ground. That is another thing that drives me nuts. There was one in the Kerry Donegal game where a Kerry lad O'Shea I think was being held on the ground, he was clearly from my pov completely innocent yet he got a yellow. Refs need to quit doing that and unless they actually know what happened then keep tehir cards in their pockets. There's 7 officials on hand, surely we can have a situation where unless one fo them actually sees an incident you don't go handing out yellows for nothing.

Jayop

Quote from: Main Street on July 22, 2019, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 22, 2019, 03:35:54 PM

or

It's not unfair on the black card replacement to already have a yellow card. It's not a personal punishment, it's a punishment on the team.
Where do get the idea that the black card /sin bin is just a punishment on the player? it's a team punishment.
A red card is a punishment on the team on the day.

I just disagree that it's not a personal punishment. The player is coming onto the pitch with a yellow against him. It's a nonsense IMO. A sin bin is a much fairer system and works in so many sports around the world really well. Why do the GAA always feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

Blowitupref

Yellow and red cards is more than enough. Never seen the sense of black cards other than causing more confusion.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Still a scourge on the game. If the fouls that bad that a man needs to leave the pitch then its a red, if its nothing major or dangerous then a yellows plenty. Hate seeing quality players having their match cut short for lets be honest harmless shite.