Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

I'm not into soccer at all so that's interesting that LOI lads would reject a perceived GAA man.

Given his record in USA I doubt if anyone will take another punt on him, cos it would be seen as a punt. Back at Celtic is a more likely move but he'll possibly need to move away from the notion of coaching. Either that or come back into the GAA world, although that's not exactly a secure way to get a wage, him with a big family etc

Denn Forever

Also he would have to think his new team would be prepared to work as hard as he expects/demands.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: moysider on July 16, 2019, 11:35:35 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 16, 2019, 09:07:21 PM
Serious Question - Would a LOI club go for a Rookie Manager with his  limited playing and coaching experience. There are bound to be a queue of better qualified and more experienced personnel in the LOI? What does he know about the LOI?

The idea of a LOI club taking on a GAA man as a manager is hilarious. A serious no-no. Serious hard-core soccer folk hate the GAA. I would suspect they neither know or care much about Jimmy McGuinness. They idea a league of Ireland club would have anything to do with him is daft imo.

Didnt Philly McMahon work as Shamrock Rovers fitness coach for a few years?  And they have a gripe.

I think simply his lack of experience rather than a grand conspiracy is the issue.

Gmac

Lots of opportunities around gaa for him back to sky sports ,writing columns, podcasts and I'm sure even a well heeled club team would pay well for his services while he waits to get back into inter county management.  The gaa could definitely use him to promote football in weaker counties and coming up with some strategies to do so.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: ck on July 17, 2019, 01:44:40 PM
I'm not into soccer at all so that's interesting that LOI lads would reject a perceived GAA man.

Its absolute nonsense. One win in 15 in the US part time second tier is why no LoI club is interested, not an anti GAA bias. Nothing stopping him taking a job as Finn Harps u16 coach and building up, he is not a manager of a professional side yet.

I think people overstate how impressive assistant manager of Celtics U20 side is.

J70

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2019, 05:57:22 PM
Quote from: ck on July 17, 2019, 01:44:40 PM

Its absolute nonsense. One win in 15 in the US part time second tier is why no LoI club is interested, not an anti GAA bias. Nothing stopping him taking a job as Finn Harps u16 coach and building up, he is not a manager of a professional side yet.

I think people overstate how impressive assistant manager of Celtics U20 side is.

Especially in Donegal where everyone is into and plays both sports anyway and you come against (or at least used to!) county senior players in the Donegal soccer leagues all the time.

rodney trotter

There was interest from Galway United before he opted to go to the States. His stint in the US will have damaged his chances  of another managerial job for now.. He could still be an assistant somewhere in the future . Roger Schmidt was impressed enough to bring him to China. He impressed Lennon at Celtic.

imtommygunn

I also fail to see how mcguinness has proven himself enough in any form of soccer to be in significant demand...

tiempo

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2019, 10:01:51 PM
I also fail to see how mcguinness has proven himself enough in any form of soccer to be in significant demand...

If talking shite is a prerequisite then Jimmy will go toe to toe with most. Fake it til ye make it Jimmy.

macdanger2

The thing about mcguinness is that he's "marmite", you love him or hate him - if he can get the players to buy in, he's successful but if he can't, then it's a car crash. His success in management will come down to how good he is at getting players to buy in

maigheo

Quote from: tiempo on July 17, 2019, 11:46:53 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2019, 10:01:51 PM

If talking shite is a prerequisite then Jimmy will go toe to toe with most. Fake it til ye make it Jimmy.
no surprise that good old fashioned begrudgery is alive and well

Ethan Tremblay

Agreed, never really understood how he landed a manager role in soccer given his lack of experience in the soccer world. 

The only transferable skills he would have had would have been as a mental performance coach or fitness coach, which I'm sure he is good at, being a manager in professional sport different ball game I would think. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 18, 2019, 10:14:36 AM
Agreed, never really understood how he landed a manager role in soccer given his lack of experience in the soccer world. 

The only transferable skills he would have had would have been as a mental performance coach or fitness coach, which I'm sure he is good at, being a manager in professional sport different ball game I would think.

Did he not start at Celtic as a performance analyst and move into youth coaching? Then to China as an assistant manager and to a smaller club as manager. Have I that right?

Ethan Tremblay

Think that's the path he has taken as far as I'm aware yea, but I think he went from Celtic performance coach to Charlotte manager in a short space of time, considering his lack of involvement in soccer prior to that (as far as I'm aware).

You can understand how the likes of ex pro's like Gerrard and Lampard land their first jobs in management relatively fast, as they have been involved in the game at all levels for 20+ years, but boggles the mind on how Jim got a managers job in the first place. 

Worth a punt on him I suppose. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Aaron Boone

He has his UEFA A License so has every right to go for these jobs and impress at interview.