Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Not sure what he has to be smug about. Has been completely wrong with his last 2 predictions - yesterday and Cork v Mayo.

How did he call Kildare/Donegal game?

A lot of people myself included thought Kerry would beat Cork, Brolly just publicised it in a more ignorant way.

Brolly is what Dunphy is to soccer and Eoghan Harris is to politics, a lot of pontificating but not much calling it right.

tbrick18

Quote from: Orangemac on August 07, 2011, 11:46:29 AM
Not sure what he has to be smug about. Has been completely wrong with his last 2 predictions - yesterday and Cork v Mayo.

How did he call Kildare/Donegal game?

A lot of people myself included thought Kerry would beat Cork, Brolly just publicised it in a more ignorant way.

Brolly is what Dunphy is to soccer and Eoghan Harris is to politics, a lot of pontificating but not much calling it right.

I'd say there weren't too many people who predicted that Mayo would beat Cork and there would have been a lot of people who would have thought Tyrone would beat Dublin.
Regardless of what you think of Brolly, he's not usually too far off the mark.
Brolly is intelligent and can put his point across....those less intelligent people who find it difficult to explain themselves might see that as pontificating, but the fact remains he is intelligent, knows his football and isn't scared to say what he thinks and he can usually give an explanation of why he has certain opinions - which most of the pundits cant do. Give me that any day over the likes of Kevin McStay who never has anything of interest to say, just repeats the same things already said by others.

Hardy

It’s easy to be hard on the pundits. None of us is equipped to predict the future. But it’s when they indulge in lazy analysis by elevating one or two incidents to the status of a trend that you get annoyed with them.

I had the chance last night to listen to both the RTÉ and BBC panels expound on Bernard Brogan. For me, there’s nothing to talk about. Brogan is a top player who has all the skills and can produce the unexpected, deliver under pressure and get match-winning scores. He was last year and he still is. He’s missed a few chances this year and taken a few wrong options. Who hasn’t? Because he's player of the year they got noticed as they wouldn't have before.

However, RTE’s panel have come to a unanimous conclusion that his game is in crisis and not only that, but they’ve agreed that they know the reason. Apparently he’s taking too much upon himself and doesn’t lay off the ball and bring others into play.

On the other hand, Martin McHugh volunteered that Brogan has improved his game this year. The secret? He’s learned not to go for everything himself but lay off the ball and bring others into play!

One of them must be wrong, at least. To me both are wrong and neither conclusion is valid, based on the evidence of a few games so far this year. In fact the question is not valid. In fact, there’s not even a question.

Jinxy

Hardy, Pat Spillane actually said last night that Bernard Brogan doesn't work hard enough for an inside forward!
It's like he thinks to himself, "What's the most catastrophically inaccurate statement I can come out with this week?"
Brogan runs his legs to stumps in every game.
There is no analysis on RTE, only opinions and those opinions are rarely based on anything so boring as facts or statistics.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Denn Forever

Was Bernard not Alan footballer of the year?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 07, 2011, 12:13:00 PM
Was Bernard not Alan footballer of the year?

Apologies - finger trouble - fixed it above. It was, of course, Bernard they were talking about.

ck

The problem with Irish pundits is that they are all ex players from a different generation - they are mouth pieces and entertainers - NOT ANALYISTS! Have you ever heard any of them tell you about how a teams tactics (apart from the obvious) or game plans or insights into patterns of play? No. They are too busy trying to get one up on the man beside them. They are there because Irish people want this type of analysis, they want to be entertained, they want a good slagging match and a bit of banter. We can slag them off but its what the masses want.
(For me Peter Canavan is the exception to the rule here - in fact TV3s coverage is much more professional when compared to RTE)

Compare RTE to Ozzy rules analysis where you have journalists and managers analysing games. It is excellent, insightful, thought provoking. Brolly, Spillane & Co. might as well be at the bar in Killinascully with the oul shite the come out with.

Jinxy

I would disagree to a certain extent as pretty much every media outlet other than RTE actually has proper analysts.
Newstalk, TV3 and the BBC all use people that understand the modern game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sans pessimism

Jinxy,are you saying Liam Hayes is a 'proper' analyst??Jeez
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Dinny Breen

I might be in the minority but I actually like Liam Hayes, he speaks with an honesty and interesting insight into the team psyche, he has played and managed at inter-county and has been a leading sports journalist. His analysis can be a bit off the wall but his discussions with David Brady are entertaining, he has no agenda.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2011, 05:36:16 PM
I might be in the minority but I actually like Liam Hayes, he speaks with an honesty and interesting insight into the team psyche, he has played and managed at inter-county and has been a leading sports journalist. His analysis can be a bit off the wall but his discussions with David Brady are entertaining, he has no agenda.

Cant agree. Some of the stuff he has said about Jack O Connor has been outrageous in my view. Hayes was a very unsuccessful inter county manager. He needs to remember that sometime.

Zulu

Very much in the minority there Dinny I'd say, I think himself and Brady are terrible.

ross matt

Jaysus Dinny!

Dinny Breen

Better qualify this, I think their analysis is awful but when they are co-commenting on games on Newstalk I think they can be insightful and their discussions are actually entertaining but I think that is driven my Newstalk and in particular AZ's buddy Ger Gilroy who is the Newstalk sports editor. And I'll reiterate I admire Liam Hayes's honesty, I always get the impression that say unlike Joe Brolly he'd tell you exactly what he thought of you to your face and expect the same honesty back.

Not everyone's cup of team but I'm probably easily entertained, I'm from Kildare for god sake.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

AZ's buddy? He's dead to me I told you.

As for Hayes, I find him mildly entertaining sometimes, but it's not accurate to say he has no agenda in my mind. He obviously has a long standing emnity for Kerry.