Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Would tend to agree with yellowcard, was all a bit too obvious, she was gonna show Brolly who was the boss & seemed to be arguing for the sake of it.

dublin7

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 28, 2019, 09:34:14 AM
Would tend to agree with yellowcard, was all a bit too obvious, she was gonna show Brolly who was the boss & seemed to be arguing for the sake of it.

She could have allowed Joe to make his points without constantly interrupting him. I found her headwrecking to be honest and it seemed she was trying to show him who's in charge alright. Hopefully it'll settle down and pundits will be allowed finish their sentences as the summer goes on

Maiden1

It was her first show and I am sure she was told that Joe would go off piste and she would have to rein him in.  She said at least 3 times they would talk more about the new rules in a few weeks.  In other words **** up and stick to the script.  I found it slightly Misogynistic the way he asked her if she was going to challenge him on every point he made, it's good she didn't let his points go unchallenged.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

highorlow

QuoteI found her headwrecking to be honest

Ah you were just in bad humour cause the Dubs were beat.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

BennyCake

He needed reining in, because Brolly always goes on about new rules/rules needed/rules he proposed etc, without speaking about the match in question.

I think it was Joanne telling him right away, you won't be doing that shite with me here.

Boycey

I agree with Benny, Brolly was starting (for the umpteenth time) to tell us HIS brilliant plan for saving gaelic football. We've all heard it before, it's tedious and last night wasn't the place to discuss it again which she told him the 1st time before he rehashed it several more times..

TheClubman

Joanne Cantwell was 100% right last night - how anyone would think otherwise is mind boggling to me. She told him several times and in his own self absorbed arrogance he just completely ignored her and went off ranting again about the rules. He added nothing last night. Sometimes he does add a lot. Sometimes he does write excellently but a lot of the time it's the same old crap how he knows and the authorities are idiots. Maybe if he was more consistent and able to work with (and listen to) others then he might be listened to.

Main Street

Expressing an opinion on the game is one matter, but Brolly was spouting utter bull about the reason for the new mark, that the rule was introduced to favour the big target man. He was interrupted, taken to task and then he took offence as in 'how dare you interrupt ME'.

Rule nr 1   Only Joe is allowed to interrupt on the Sunday Game.

dublin7

Quote from: highorlow on January 28, 2019, 10:12:32 AM

Ah jaysus just cause I'm a dub I can't even give an opinino now :-\

Gold

Still though---if last night wasn't the time to discuss the new rules then no time will be.

I think he should've been allowed to at least discuss the new rules (whilst being reined in if he went on too long).

It has to be discussed
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

BennyCake

Quote from: dublin7 on January 28, 2019, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: highorlow on January 28, 2019, 10:12:32 AM

Ah jaysus just cause I'm a dub I can't even give an opinino now :-\

Nope, now stay out of this :D

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2019, 11:05:12 AM
Expressing an opinion on the game is one matter, but Brolly was spouting utter bull about the reason for the new mark, that the rule was introduced to favour the big target man. He was interrupted, taken to task and then he took offence as in 'how dare you interrupt ME'.

Narcissists don't like being told it's not about them.

The way Brolly puts his hands across other pundits to shut them up means only his opinion matters. And the constant interrupting is belittling the value of others analysis. Despicable behaviour.

Seany

Generally, the pundits on RTE are OK, but Brolly is now his own tribute band. Best work done about five years ago and all his current stuff is repetition or just dross. 

Meanwhile, on RTE Radio yesterday, that other self tribute band, Colm O'Rourke, was giving it loads about the GAA pricing structure for the League when he actually stated that if a family of five, two adults and three kids were going to a National league match, it would cost them a hundred euro.  This was unchallenged totally by Jacqui Hurley and Dessie Dolan, also in the studio.  It took the GAA to actually call in to the show and state that faftually, thery were wrong and that if they bought their tickets online, that family of five could go for 30 Euro, which works out at 6Euro per person, rather than the 30 he was suggesting. 

When the national broadcaster brings in people so lazy that they couldn't be bothered to even research something as simple, as well known and as talked about as prices to a match, what hope have we. 

He then tried to fob it off by sayin the GAA were getting 'touchy'.  Yeah Colm.  You keep spreading lies and when the GAA tries to put the record straight using fact, just call them 'touchy'.  That's the way to go. 

imtommygunn

Gees that's embarassing.

Spillane's lifespan was until about 10 years ago and Brolly / O"Rourke about 5. It's time they shook it up. You can get some fantastic sports analysis these days across many sports but the GAA is miles behind. Listening to the hurling pundits can be fascinating. The football pundits just merit recording of the show then fast forwarding. Waste of time.

red hander

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2019, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2019, 11:05:12 AM

Narcissists don't like being told it's not about them.

The way Brolly puts his hands across other pundits to shut them up means only his opinion matters. And the constant interrupting is belittling the value of others analysis. Despicable behaviour.

This