Begley to Parnells?

Started by Declan, January 13, 2010, 03:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Former Aussie Rules star Colm Begley has stunned his home club Stradbally by requesting a transfer to Dublin outfit Parnells.

The ex-Brisbane Lions and St. Kilda player, who has represented Ireland in the International Rules series, was expected to be a key figure for the Laois club this year, but it appears he has his sights set on a move to Parnells, where he would link up with fellow Laoismen Colm Parkinson and Darren Rooney.

Begley, who returned home last autumn after five years in the AFL and has since joined up with the Laois football squad, is set to be based in the city. Neither the Leinster Council nor Laois county board had received Begley's transfer form as of last night, but O'Moore County secretary Niall Handy admitted he expects the paperwork in the coming days.

He told the Irish Sun: "It hasn't been submitted, but we believe it's coming. As far as I know, it's club only."

Handy, who himself is a Stradbally man, admitted that more big names could follow Parkinson, Rooney and Begley to the northside club, which recently received planning permission to build a EUR30 million facility in Coolock.

"It is a loss to Laois. It's the third one and there are rumours of more."

Parnells chairman Frank Gleeson has refused to be drawn on the matter, only saying: "We are constantly linked with Laois players because we already have two Laois players at the club.

johnneycool

thought it was Philomena there for a moment.

Zapatista

Do Stradbally not have a website? Can't find one.

Rossfan

Why have we not heard from the "Of one belief" outfit on this matter  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Forfeit Point

Thats some loyalty from begley, you would swear laois was a thousand miles away from dublin to be transferring. dublin county board need to get their act together on this bull, or the county won't be winning any all irelands that they should be. Theres 3 places on that starting 15 for parnells gone, where some up and coming young lads could be gaining vital experience.

orangeman

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on January 13, 2010, 10:55:40 PM
Thats some loyalty from begley, you would swear laois was a thousand miles away from dublin to be transferring. dublin county board need to get their act together on this bull, or the county won't be winning any all irelands that they should be. Theres 3 places on that starting 15 for parnells gone, where some up and coming young lads could be gaining vital experience.

Money must be good in Dublin.

randomtask

GalwayBayBoy

ballinaman

Begley needs to get his act together wherever he plays from what I've heard from Australia, loads of ability but fond of the party, a contributing factor to why he was let go from AFL is what I've been told.

theoriginalmup

he'll be in good hands with Parkinson so

PadraicHenryPearse

i met him in a bar after the Ireland OZ game in Peth last year. he had an attitude problem way too cocky.  of all the players i met that night he was most arrogent sightly shading Hanley. don't want to bad mouth(too much) anyone so ill leave it at. On the other hand  Enda McGinlay was a gent, down to earth and friendly very genuine guy as were a good few others.

Zapatista

Quote from: laoisgaa on January 13, 2010, 06:14:00 PM
http://stradballygaa.net/

Cheers.

Tough on the club. I wonder did they put up a fight? They are expecting him to return for some reason???

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 13, 2010, 11:15:39 PM
Quote from: randomtask on January 13, 2010, 11:04:02 PM
must be, look at the facilities they are building :o

http://www.cumannparnell.com/_gallery/viewGallery.asp?categoryID=11

Looks like they have a few euro to throw about.

Sold some land beside the airport to a developer before the whole property thing went belly up. Got around 24m for it apparently. Say no more.

Canalman

Parnells are flush with cash after the sale of their grounds at the airport ( behind where all the planespotters park at Collinstown Lane). Bad bad move imo by Parnells as they have lots of GPOs working on the juvenile scene and any success they get will be tainted by the "blow in" smear. Building a new clubhouse and pitches as well.

Have to point out that I personally found Parnells' teams in the past very undisciplined and downright nasty at times.
For the record Parnells  destroyed Kilmore GAA many years by poaching at one time their best players.
Nothing DCB can do I suppose.