Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maigheo Abu

I agree totally Parsons shows class. But it would be great to have McG available.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

GBXII

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2009, 12:24:23 AM
Quote from: GBXII on July 14, 2009, 12:03:27 AM
Ye boys dont seem to have much faith in Tom Parsons? I'd be of the opinion that he's a quality player (as talented as McGarity but lacking the experience) and that this idea that he was in poor form recently is a bit overblown...

I m a bit bemused myself with some posts about Parsons, to be honest. Was nt aware that his form had bottomed out or anything.

Parsons is a top player. But it s not as simple as 'McGar is out, so what? Tom Parsons will do as good a job or better'

My views on TP well posted at this stage. I would have him on starting 15 even if Ronan were fit and well while keeping the McGar/Heaney partnership in midfield.

McGar missing would weaken our hand considersably. If Parsons starts there s steadiness on the bench but hardly gamewinners. I mean if the Galway fullback line copes with Moran/O Shea axis and Burke beats up Kilcoyne, its hard to see Conoreen come on and slap Burke around?

Absolutely would love to have McG there too, he's a top player and seemed to be returning to his old form. However if Heaney can keep the form he should against Ross and Parsons plays like he has been for his short Mayo career thus far I'd say we'll be fine in that area, assuming the other half backs and half forwards contribute as expected.

On the Moran/O'Shea issue, if the Galway full back line manages to handle them then in fairness they are on the way to victory, its unlikely they'll keep the two boys quiet. Kilcoyne I'd still worry about, might be a better idea to start C Mort and bring on Kilcoyne where we know he'll do well from the bench but I doubt O'Mahony will drop him after his performance against Ross.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2009, 11:52:53 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 13, 2009, 11:40:36 PM
Heaney is exactly what we need at midfield. He was quietly effective against Roscommon and I've little doubt he'll be the same on Sunday. Anyone know when the team is being announced?? Hand on heart Moysider can you see McGarrity starting?

I m hopeful he can yet. He s training and he took part in a squad game at the weekend. Still a long shot but there s a chance. The fracture was described as a non displaced fracture. That means though while there are cracks, thankfully nothing out of place. Ye can still sup tea out of a cracked cup.

I know that reports about Ronan's injury may have been exaggerated but, from what I have been reading here, I doubt it.
I'd hate to see him on the field unless he is really up to it. He has shown tremendous character and devotion to the cause by coming back and playing himself into the reckoning again. I thought he was recovering his old form again and himself and Heaney were shaping up for the best midfield pairing we have had for a long time.
They complement each other very well. If Heaney is deemed fit enough to stick the pace, he is adept at picking up loose ball and can distribute passes as well as any one else on the side but I cannot recall him ever contesting a high ball and coming away with it. Ronan on the other hand, is the best fetcher we have on the side but he is not the bustling, harrying type.
If only the years could be rolled back and we had David Brady and Ronan together at midfield, we'd have as good a combination as could be fielded by any other country in the land!
But there is no point in wishful thing and we got to make do with the best we have. Tom Parsons seems to be the best option if either of the pair that started against Roscommon doesn't begin the game at midfield but I'd hate to see neither of them there. I think the time for wholesale chopping and changing is over. I am reasonably optimistic that the team will hit the ground running as they did against Roscommon.
As for the Salthill hoodoo, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The game is there for the taking— if Mayo shows up in the right state of mind.
Would anyone disagree with me that Mayo lost out in Salthill so many times because they were just the inferior side each time?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ildanach

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 14, 2009, 10:52:42 AM
As for the Salthill hoodoo, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The game is there for the taking— if Mayo shows up in the right state of mind.
Would anyone disagree with me that Mayo lost out in Salthill so many times because they were just the inferior side each time?

the fact that mayo are untested in this years championship worries me. galway had a tough game against sligo and that will stand to them. I am worried about the marking in the full back line too. this game is not going to be easy for either team and i think we will see a goal or two for each team.
with regard to the hoodoo . it is a pile of shit. we went to tuam in '99 and won by 4 (i think) and there was a hoodoo there too. if we can win the midfield battle and keep tight at the back i give us a good chance. i am going for mayo but only by 1 or 2 points
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

moysider

I would nt be one for hoodoos either. However I think playing at home is a big advantage to a side and when sides are even enough it should swing it. What annoys me more than our rare victories on Galway soil is how easily they come along and roll us over in McHale Park. That s where the imbalance lies. There has been 2 instances of that in recent years. Last year being particularly sickening because, as has been well discussed on this board, we shot ourselves badly in the foot. If we had won that one there would nt be as much pressure on the side to win this one. The qualifiers would not be as catastrophic as they will look on Sunday night if we lose. There appears to be an all or nothing approach to this one from a Mayo point of view. This may work in our favour - or not.

Galway since 2001 have done little outside province and 2 times we got out we reached the final. They seem to have the knack of beating us economically. I recall 89 when we were a much better side we could only draw in Tuam. In replay in Castlebar we were nt spoiled with an 8 point win. I m still troubled by the fact that we seemed to have to be much better than Galway to actually win against them - especially away.

We have nt played that much in Salthill either. 84 and is it 3 times this century? Hardly hoodoo territory?

If we re good enough no reason not to win it, even away.

An Fhairche Abu

I think in modern day terms, hoodoos are a bit of a cod, Mayo have played very few matches in Pearse Stadium and indeed, if you were to go back to 1997, they had played frig all championship matches in Tuam either before that particular "hoodoo" was broken.

I see that Mayo are looking like risking McGarrity for this match. Surprised at this as I would have thought that even excluding him the advantage was still firmly with Mayo for this sector. Encouraging from a Galway point of view that Mayo would be worried enough to even think of playing him at any stage on Sunday.

All the form since the league match in Tuam has been in favour of Mayo, with a significant stop being put to Galways league gallop that day. I read in the online version of the Mayo News that only Higgins will remain out of the starting backs from 2008 on the Mayo team next Sunday. It goes to show the improvements made in this department by Mayo over the last 12 months since the June Castlebar match.

I feel that this could be a defining clash for Mayo, losing three years on the bounce in the championship to Galway is not the legacy that O'Mahony came back to leave. They have what looks to be a new major threat in O'Shea up front, form looks to be with them and as I've said they have tightened up the defence no end. I don't think Mayo are primed for a back door clash the following week, I'd rate the match on Sunday as do or die for them.

These clashes are usually tight ('04 and '07 being exceptions), Galway will certainly have a better starting lineup than the Sligo match and you'd have to assume that they will up it for a clash against Mayo. Salthill is surely worth one or two points to us as well. It all points to a match the is going to be very close I think, if either back line can keep a clean sheet it could be the deciding factor.

macdanger2

As I understand it, McG has a break in his upper jaw?

This happened to me previously - it's more likely in his cheekbone or the bone around his temple. It's not something tht affects you in the way that a lower jaw break would (i.e. wires etc) but if he were to get a belt on it (from an accidentally flailing maroon-clad arm!!), it would be extremely sore unless he can wear a mask.

Looking forward to the match. I would be more worried about our inexperienced FB line and our overly attacking wing backs than I would about Parsons at midfield. Hopefully Kilcoyne can start well and produce another good game.

Was very impressed with the Dubs at the weekend - when their midfielders/half backs got the ball around the middle, they immediately looked up and passed it. Too many Mayo players instinctively solo/hop the ball before they even consider passing, this slows up the game - would like to see Mayo moving the ball faster on Sunday.

rosnarun

going on the gung ho way galway have go in against mayo in recent years I doubt if RMcg will be risked from the beginning maybe after a 20 mins or so when the game has evened out might be a better time to introduce him.
As ffor parsons id have no worries , since the first few league games he has been playing very well , but  heaney should always start for mayo if he is at all fit , and parsons was the man to lose out v Ross.
In some ways Parsons may be a better alternative than partner for Mcgarrity as they are quiet similar . we could have a brand new midfield sunday as i think heany could well get the Joyce role
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: rosnarun on July 14, 2009, 07:03:26 PM
going on the gung ho way galway have go in against mayo in recent years I doubt if RMcg will be risked from the beginning maybe after a 20 mins or so when the game has evened out might be a better time to introduce him.

I hope you are still whinging on about the "gung ho" approach from Galway on Monday morning.

Terry Tate

I have a feeling that james nallen will partner Heaney in Midfield for this particular clash. most people would be in agreement that Galways midfield would not be the most mobile of units and Nallen has played very well in midfield for Crossmolina this year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Terry Tate on July 14, 2009, 08:00:55 PM
I have a feeling that james nallen will partner Heaney in Midfield for this particular clash. most people would be in agreement that Galways midfield would not be the most mobile of units and Nallen has played very well in midfield for Crossmolina this year.

Jesus could you imagine. If Galway had anyone fast to run at him we'd be left for dead there. No, it's time for Parsons to stake his claim in the team now, if he's up to it that is and leave O'Mahony with more selection headaches (in a good sense) imo. I do agree with AFA as regards O'Mahony's legacy. He won't want to lose 3 years in a row to Galway. Trouble for him is that he's not the only one and knives might well come out if we do lose on Sunday.

What happened to Macdanger1??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Duine Eile

Galway team will be named on Thursday night after training. Mattie Clancy is definitely out injured from what I've heard, the obvious replacement being Nicky Joyce. Niall Coleman  will probably replace Gary O'Donnell,I don't think Cullinane is able for 70 minutes. Gary Sice will probably play instead of Deccie Meehan. Talking to a few Mayo people  over the weekend and according to them we might as well not show up. Mayo's name is on the cup already boys.  ;)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 14, 2009, 09:09:08 PM
Galway team will be named on Thursday night after training. Mattie Clancy is definitely out injured from what I've heard, the obvious replacement being Nicky Joyce. Niall Coleman  will probably replace Gary O'Donnell,I don't think Cullinane is able for 70 minutes. Gary Sice will probably play instead of Deccie Meehan. Talking to a few Mayo people  over the weekend and according to them we might as well not show up. Mayo's name is on the cup already boys.  ;)

Must be a select few surely. Any I've spoken to isn't thinking that way at all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 14, 2009, 09:09:08 PM

Reminds me. I was talkin to a few Galway lads there earlier today. They reckon that Mayo are ripping the piss even turning up. They expect to win handy enough 'like they usually do' without straining themselves. Looks like Galway s name is on the cup already boys.

I ll stick to my usual form of never using smilies or winkies.

highorlow

QuoteI have a feeling that james nallen will partner Heaney in Midfield for this particular clash

Jesus.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go