What is a Third Man Tackle

Started by tonesfirstandlast, January 06, 2009, 08:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Just would like it cleared up. What would a player needed to have done to commit a third man tackle? There was a discussion on it at work today and there were many definitions.

criostlinn

My reading of it is,

When one man lays off a pass to a team mate. He makes a run to either receive a pass back or join the attack, and is taken out off it by someone from the opposing team.  I suppose when a player is tackled when he doesn't have the ball, but is making a run.

whassupp2

a third man tackle is basically a tackle on a player who has not got possession of the ball occurring when the player is obstructed or blocked from gaining posession by an opposing player.
take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

Gabriel_Hurl

Basically watch any Armagh game in 2002

******opens can of worms and runs away*********

kevmy

Quote from: whassupp2 on January 06, 2009, 09:31:57 PM
a third man tackle is basically a tackle on a player who has not got possession of the ball occurring when the player is obstructed or blocked from gaining posession by an opposing player.

Yeah I think this is a good definition. The player been tackled has to have the opportunity to gain possession in the near future. If some lad is blocked down the other end of the field then thats more of an off the ball tackle than a third man tackle

StGallsGAA

QuoteBasically watch any Armagh game in 2002

Armagh & Crossmaglen under Joe Kernan did employ the third man tackle extensively but it was not considered a foul back then.  Referees are more aware of it now.

orangeman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 06, 2009, 10:30:29 PM
Basically watch any Armagh game in 2002

2002 until present day ??

tonesfirstandlast

Are "third m an Tackle" and "off the ball tackle" actually named in the rule book? And if so what, what are their definitions?

On another issue, see that Joe Kernan is calling for honesty in the papers at the moment. What hypocrisy!!!

SidelineKick

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 07, 2009, 11:16:19 AM
Are "third m an Tackle" and "off the ball tackle" actually named in the rule book? And if so what, what are their definitions?

On another issue, see that Joe Kernan is calling for honesty in the papers at the moment. What hypocrisy!!!

How exactly?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

NAG

Because he introduced a tactic which was against the spirit and the law of the game that went unpunished!

Try and keep up SLK  :D

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 07, 2009, 11:18:50 AM

How exactly?

His Armagh and Crossmaglen teams were dirty teams and bent the rules to the limit on every occasion.

SidelineKick

Quote from: NAG on January 07, 2009, 11:29:23 AM
Because he introduced a tactic which was against the spirit and the law of the game that went unpunished!

Try and keep up SLK  :D

Jesus not the SPIRIT!! God he should have been shot by a firing squad  ::)

As someone posted previously:

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 07, 2009, 10:45:28 AM
Armagh & Crossmaglen under Joe Kernan did employ the third man tackle extensively but it was not considered a foul back then.  Referees are more aware of it now.

They played within the rules of the game and bent them to breaking point, but guess what, they didn't break!

Many teams bend the rules, more so now than ever, especially with finding loopholes to get out of suspensions etc. Big Joe was no different than any manager....IN THE FACT THAT HE BENT THE RULES.

EDITED TO PLEASE HARDY
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Hardy

He was a lot different to most managers. He won several All-Ireland titles.

Hardy

The phrases "third man tackle" and "off the ball tackle" don't appear in the rule book, but I'd say this is the rule that covers it (under Rule 5 - Aggressive Fouls):

(a) To charge an opponent in the back or to the front.
(b) To charge an opponent unless:-
    (i) he is in possession of the ball, or
    (ii) he is playing the ball, or
    (iii) both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.
(c) To charge an opponent for the purpose of giving an advantage to a team-mate.

I think myself that, like many rules in the guide, the phrase "moving in the direction of the ball to play it" is too open to interpretation. If a player is running towards a team-mate who is in possession of the ball, to receive a handpass, is he "moving in the direction of the ball to play it" and can you charge him? I'd say nobody knows.

And what does "to charge an opponent for the purpose of giving an advantage to a team-mate" mean? Surely every time you shoulder charge an opponent legitimately you're doing it to give an advantage to all your team mates. A bit like Bill Shankly's "if one of my players is not interfering with play, I want to know why".

Spirit of 94

Is somebody taking my name in vain.  :D :D :D

This thread is a wind up lads......a Bellaghy man asking for a definition of a third man tackle??

Why doesn't he just go along to any one of his club's matches. Or their U6 coaching sessions. :D :D :D