Donal Og Cusack

Started by Unison, July 27, 2015, 02:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unison

Donal Og Cusack not happy with the sate of GAA in Cork. I love his passion, but he should have a look at Laois GAA. That would put thing into perspective for him.

Stooges is right!

redsetanta

This thread would be better in the main hurling forum as it's not Laois related.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unison

Catch and Kick

Donal Óg is still stirring it in Cork. It is totally personalised with him and his hatred for Frank Murphy. The media love it. His stats mean little but look so damming. If he were to put up stats for the Kerry football underage success it would mirror Cork hurling stats. Yet Kerry are without question still the king pins of football.
Simplistic. Vindictive. Bitter.
Of course he could manage the Cork hurlers himself.....
Bringing it back to Laois, the desire to pin the blame on our managers is nothing short of disgraceful. It is never that simple. No manager or player goes out or sets up to lose. The harsh reality is that inter county success will by and large elude counties like Laois. Now and again a batch of players will come that have that little bit extra. Sacking and blaming mangers doesn't do anything to alter that, apart from making it worse.

G@@

Quote from: Catch and Kick on July 30, 2015, 08:07:42 AM
Bringing it back to Laois, the desire to pin the blame on our managers is nothing short of disgraceful. It is never that simple. No manager or player goes out or sets up to lose. The harsh reality is that inter county success will by and large elude counties like Laois. Now and again a batch of players will come that have that little bit extra. Sacking and blaming mangers doesn't do anything to alter that, apart from making it worse.

I beg to differ, by and large the same group of hurlers were under both Teddy and Fennelly as under Cheddar and the difference has been worlds apart.

WRT to Donal Og Cusack, it's clear he's trying to become a darling of the media for reasons beyond the GAA.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Catch and Kick

Quote from: G@@ on July 30, 2015, 11:40:30 AM

I beg to differ, by and large the same group of hurlers were under both Teddy and Fennelly as under Cheddar and the difference has been worlds apart.

WRT to Donal Og Cusack, it's clear he's trying to become a darling of the media for reasons beyond the GAA.

I'm not saying the managers don't have a part to play in the success or failure of any team; they either deserve the vitriol they receive when teams lose or to be put up on pedestals when they win. They are one cog on the wheel.
Players respond differently for sure to managers and they can control that response too. They decide whether to get the job done in spite of the manager. It's often a case that players withdraw mentally from the team and under perform.
Cheddar has certainly proved himself to be a manager extraordinaire yet he will be limited by the abilities of his players.
The point I was trying to make, and maybe I did so poorly, is that all of us deserve to be treated with respect.
Media - not just social media, but print, radio and tv are equally culpable.
A case in point was the tv interview with Martin O Neill last week

SpeculativeEffort

His stats mean little but look so damming. If he were to put up stats for the Kerry football underage success it would mirror Cork hurling stats. Yet Kerry are without question still the king pins of football.
Simplistic. Vindictive. Bitter.
Presumptuous. Unresearched. Incorrect.
Using exact same criteria as TheSunday Game graphic.
2009-2015
Munster minor 4
AI minor 1
Mun u21 0
AI u21 0
Munster Schools 6
Hogan Cup 3
Munster Senior 5
All Ireland 2
Munster club 4

Total 25
10 more than Tipperary Hurling who topped DOG's stats for hurling.

Carlow have won one less than Cork in these categories with a princely total of 1. (Leinster club s'chip)

Catch and Kick

Kerry have only won 2 All Ireland Minors since 1994.They have 12 titles since 1884.
They won 2 U21s and have 10 titles since 1884.
In contrast they have won 37 All Ireland senior titles, winning 7 since 1997 (and losing 4 other finals in the same period).

Not much correlation between success in the Minor / U21 grades and Senior.

SpeculativeEffort

So Kerry who are not renowned for underage success have picked up 25 titles in 6 years while Cork, who used to dominate at underage, have 2. The point DOG is making is that they are not producing hurlers. Kerry don't target underage success yet pick up their fair share of titles as they are producing players at various levels. Cork are producing very little. With the resources they have and any kind of decent organisation they'd be picking up titles here and there just like Kerry in football.

Cork have 18 All-Ireland minor titles. Its 14 years since they won it. They are joint top with 11 All Irelands at u21. Last being in 1998 - a team that breathed new life into Cork hurling. Cork hurling is not Kerry football. They generally thrive on underage success. From the 1960's on Cork averaged 4/5 Munster minor titles a decade. Now none since 2008. In 17 years only one team has delivered an underage All-Ireland to Cork. You just cant ignore that in a county like Cork.

Heshs Umpire

Cork have done sod all since the strike bar the freak final appearance two years ago. Yeah, Frank's a dictator but Donal Og is personalising it too much. He'd have been better served not naming names while offering his solutions.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore