A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2016, 11:06:37 AM
A toughjob on your hands there General.
Their way of dealing with other cultures to date has been burning them out!

Who is the their in that sentence?

smelmoth

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 21, 2016, 12:14:18 PM
Unfortunately Unionism is continuously involved in these so called sham fights. Its called not an inch. It is possible for a statelet to have alternative nationalities. The Baltic states for example have ethnic Russian populations. Just so happens we are ethnically Irish for the most part, even a large block of unionists would be ethnically Irish. There are no positive examples of Unionists being generous to the so called "minority", but on the other hand SF and the SDLP bend over backways to be positive and generous.

Generous and positive in the naming of shared spaces? Or are some spaces not to be shared?

Are we all absolutely sure that a 1922 UI would not have resulted in any abuses by the majority? After all RoI officials have no record of abusing their position

T Fearon

Smelmouth,I doubt if I'll be alive in 25 years time,never mind preferring anything!

Rossfan

Quote from: smelmoth on January 21, 2016, 10:11:05 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2016, 11:06:37 AM
A toughjob on your hands there General.
Their way of dealing with other cultures to date has been burning them out!

Who is the their in that sentence?
Unionists/ " Ulster British"/ "Loyalists"/ or whatever you want to call them or they want to call themselves.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on January 21, 2016, 04:37:24 PM
Yes and the SDLP and Sinn Fein are successful in stopping stunt politics? Classic case today McGuinness offers to attend 12 July celebrations knowing full well OO wont invite him,making him look like a poor innocent victim whose offer was shunned.On and on this shite goes and real political problems are not addressed.
Tony he didn't offer, he said he would attend if invited in response to a question, slight difference.

T Fearon

He brought the matter up,spotted an opportunity to score points.Its the way both sides get on constantly

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 22, 2016, 07:13:40 PM
He brought the matter up,spotted an opportunity to score points.Its the way both sides get on constantly

Why don't they invite him then?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Er they quoted over 300 reasons.The Orangemen killed by the IRA during the troubles.But Martin gets to look like the reasonable one here,and will win votes on account of this,and on it goes.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 22, 2016, 11:11:21 PM
Er they quoted over 300 reasons.The Orangemen killed by the IRA during the troubles.But Martin gets to look like the reasonable one here,and will win votes on account of this,and on it goes.

They are commemorating a battle with 3000 killed in it, that can't pretend to be choosy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

They are unlikely to invite a member of an organisation who killed over 300 of their members in,what they perceive was a sectarian terrorist campaign,to their commemorations,are they? I have no admiration for the Orange Order,and another plus point of normal politics here would be a significant diminution of their profile and influence.

general_lee

Quote from: smelmoth on January 21, 2016, 09:56:13 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 12:10:00 PM
Apples beat me to it. A unionist in that council area has now come out and said Dungiven is no-go area for Protestants. Whether that statement holds any validity is neither here nor there, the mask has slipped in that the planned development for a new leisure centre was blocked for motives other than "costs"

Neither here nor there?  Shocking stuff
Read back a few pages

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on January 21, 2016, 05:42:16 PM
You have to admit it's a step forward.By the way I cannot see how Sinn Fein can oppose Orange parades anywhere now when one of their most senior members indicates his willingness to attend 12th of July celebrations.
Anything is a step forward for the uber British nationalist Craigavon DUP.

Personally speaking I don't oppose OO marches. They don't really annoy me. I don't think anyone could be blamed however for opposing the North Belfast parade after one of their members flattened a girl in his car.

general_lee

Quote from: smelmoth on January 21, 2016, 10:04:39 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 04:11:31 PM
Yet it is with the very people at the heart of these disputes that you want to forge a shared identity with? We can't get mutual respect yet here you are advocating that we all join hands and form some new national identity. Mind boggling.

The key there is mutual. There is not enough mutual respect in NI. All of NI has a distance to travel on this one
Totally agree. Mutual respect and understanding is what's needed. I am biased of course but I get the impression that this is far more evident from SDLP and SF than it is any of the Unionist parties.

T Fearon

The Orange Order can hardly be blamed corporately for one member's unsanctioned actions.If McGuinness expresses his willingness to attend July12th celebrations then Sinn Fein cannot logically oppose any Orange Parades.

However if normal politics and parties came to the fore here,the Orange Order would be an irrelevancy.

general_lee

Why not? MMcG has 300 reasons directed at him for no invite even though he isn't responsible. The OO in Belfast is strongly linked with the UVF and the sheer hypocrisy of those Orangemen makes me laugh. Non other than a Shankill butcher acting as a marshall! In any case from what I am aware SF call for dialogue and oppose parades on the basis that the OO don't like talking to "terrorists".

So long as NI exists we won't have normal poltics, a normal economy or a normal society!