A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2015, 03:56:55 PM
And again, nobody asked you to go off and die.  All was asked was that you didn't vote to split your country.

If all that was asked, as you put it, was simply ' Just tick a box', one or the other presumably, then how could you be a 'treacherous coward'?

If ticking one box meant more war, then no matter you viewed it, it was hardly as simple as 'Just tick a box', was it?

Why always the over-simplification on one hand when it suits, and the hyperbole, 'treacherous cowards' on the other, again when it suits? It sounds like Paisleyite rhetoric that isn't supposed to be questioned, just followed.

Indeed, I'm the one with the hyperbole.  ::) ::)  Coming from you who has accused me of asking people to "go off and die" for me and using "Paisleyite rhetoric".  I'm beginning to think you actually are doing this on purpose because there's no way someone could be stupid as not to realise the double standards you are employing.

Eamonnca1

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Eamonnca1

Ulick

Quote from: trileacman on November 21, 2015, 08:50:11 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 21, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

In a democracy that is still worth f**k all

In a theocracy it would be worth f**k all but in a modern all-Ireland state northern unionists for be natural allies for Fine Gael and vice versa. Their influence would reach way beyond the numerical strength of the community in which they traditionally fish. 

muppet

Quote from: Franko on November 21, 2015, 04:34:47 PM
And again, nobody asked you to go off and die.  All was asked was that you didn't vote to split your country.

If all that was asked, as you put it, was simply ' Just tick a box', one or the other presumably, then how could you be a 'treacherous coward'?

If ticking one box meant more war, then no matter you viewed it, it was hardly as simple as 'Just tick a box', was it?

Why always the over-simplification on one hand when it suits, and the hyperbole, 'treacherous cowards' on the other, again when it suits? It sounds like Paisleyite rhetoric that isn't supposed to be questioned, just followed.

Indeed, I'm the one with the hyperbole::) ::)  Coming from you who has accused me of asking people to "go off and die" for me and using "Paisleyite rhetoric".  I'm beginning to think you actually are doing this on purpose because there's no way someone could be stupid as not to realise the double standards you are employing.

Yes you 'treacherous coward', or maybe you meant voter?

So, if the vote had been no, do you think everything would have been all sweetness and light? Do you think the Brits would have said, oh bollox, we never thought you would outflank us with a brilliant no vote! You ingenious Paddies, now what the f*ck do we do? Maybe we won't ask the Black & Tans this time. Maybe we will ask Franko.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: Ulick on November 22, 2015, 12:28:51 AM
In a theocracy it would be worth f**k all but in a modern all-Ireland state northern unionists for be natural allies for Fine Gael and vice versa. Their influence would reach way beyond the numerical strength of the community in which they traditionally fish.

This is true, the Labour party is generally no more than 10%, but plays an important role as kingmaker.
That said, it wouldn't be a very "united" Ireland if there was some sort of sectarian unionist party continuing for a long period.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

What sort of industries/services does the North have these days ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

It would be an All Ireland state with special arrangements for the North East for reasons we all know too well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: muppet on November 22, 2015, 01:08:20 AM

Indeed, I'm the one with the hyperbole::) ::)  Coming from you who has accused me of asking people to "go off and die" for me and using "Paisleyite rhetoric".  I'm beginning to think you actually are doing this on purpose because there's no way someone could be stupid as not to realise the double standards you are employing.

So, if the vote had been no, do you think everything would have been all sweetness and light? Do you think the Brits would have said, oh bollox, we never thought you would outflank us with a brilliant no vote! You ingenious Paddies, now what the f*ck do we do? Maybe we won't ask the Black & Tans this time. Maybe we will ask Franko.

Nope, I meant treacherous coward - this might be the third time I've said that.  Sometimes it's not hyperbole, it's just a fact.

And no, I didn't say it was all going to be sweetness and light.  It obviously wasn't.  But the blueshirts way around this was to say "feck it, we'll leave the people of the north at the mercy of the British forces, we'll be grand down here in our new dominion".  Treacherous cowards.

Applesisapples

I'm not sure exchanging insults about decisions made nearly 100 years ago is a progressive way to discuss a UI. Partition was not expected to last so long, not even by Unionists. But here we are. Reunification will happen but probably not within the next 15 years. It will happen as wounds heal, protagonists die off and the UK government cuts funding and reduces the public sector here, it will also become apparent to the agri-food sector and farming communities that within the EU the North's interests are not the same as the UK's. In addition the two communities in the north will see mistrust and barriers disappear with time. But to help as nationalists we need to begin to formulate an idea of what a UI would look like and how it can be achieved.

Rossfan

Very sensible post Apples.
Can't do anything about the past so start looking to the future.
And Franko just chill out a bit FFS.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Quote from: Franko on November 23, 2015, 09:12:30 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 22, 2015, 01:08:20 AM

Nope, I meant treacherous coward - this might be the third time I've said that.  Sometimes it's not hyperbole, it's just a fact.

And no, I didn't say it was all going to be sweetness and light.  It obviously wasn't.  But the blueshirts way around this was to say "feck it, we'll leave the people of the north at the mercy of the British forces, we'll be grand down here in our new dominion".  Treacherous cowards.

So in the choice of "an immediate and terrible war" or the "freedom to win freedom" you would have chosen war?

Keyboard Warrior

gallsman

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on November 23, 2015, 12:37:56 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2015, 01:08:46 PM
What sort of industries/services does the North have these days ?

Call centres

There's a good bit of, ah, pharmaceuticals and private hire security available about too.