GAA Vs Soccer (humorous)

Started by AbbeySider, November 28, 2006, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubnut

"give this clown a bye ball - end this thread"

Amen!

Orior

Totally agree Antrim. No comparison at all.

Chuckle... 14500 chuckle chuckle!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tir na nÓg

GAA is a clear winner in my opinion. I mean you might get one good soccer match in a year to watch all the rest are going to be boring and sometimes your lucky if you see one goal! At least with GAA even if its not your county your still usually garenteed a good game.

Another fact that there is a better atmosphere at GAA matches as the crowd have more to cheer about and theres always good banter amongst the supporters.

GAA WINS HANDS DOWN IMO! ;D ;D

ludermor

readin this thread i didnt realise we had got that sensitive and insecure that lads get wound up by genius reply,
f**k it i think most hurlers are brain damaged

magpie seanie

QuoteAnyone who doesn't know who Cora Staunton is can't be much of a GAA fan.

Too true. It wasn't just evil genius either.

Evil Genius

Quote from: ludermor on November 30, 2006, 05:21:31 PM
readin this thread i didnt realise we had got that sensitive and insecure that lads get wound up by genius reply,
f**k it i think most hurlers are brain damaged

Thank you, Ludermor. I must admit, I was beginning to fear that GAA fans were rather a sensitive, even humourless crowd! (I don't believe that, btw)

Anyhow, I hope your comment about hurlers doesn't bring down the wrath of Dumbnuts and his Thought Police upon your head, as well. Or if it does, that you're at least wearing a helmet!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ITOB

Hi everyone.  Been away in the States and just got back (hope yawl missed me) and have enjoyed this thread.

I enjoy all sports (except synchronised swimming) and have attended; rugger at Ravenhill & Landsdown Rd; football every where (incl. Croke Park and even Germany); hurling; soccer at Windsor, Wembly, Hampton, Anfied and Goodison); and even Jolly Hockey Sticks (a good game ruined by too many rules),  so I think I can offer a qualified view.

Been to Windsor many times,  most recently NI v Iceland last Sept. Also attended NI v Iceland in 1977 and the only perceptable change was the absence of sectarian chanting at the Lutheran Icelandic players.  (Probably because the present Iceland team does not contain a Celtic player- the 1977 team did).  The game was shite (except for the exception of the excellent Gudjohnson). 

The 'bouncy' thing the fans do in the Kop is just to keep fans from being dored to death.  The 'singing' atmosphere is very questionable.  Jackie Fullerton and George Jones promoting their new release ("We're not Brazil we're NI") for the gams and serenading them for an hour before the game and during half time does not suggest a top atmosphere to me, (more like high-level embarrassment).
I can assure Evil that if he wants to retain an ounce of credibility he ought not make comparisons between Windsor and Croker (its just makes you sound ignorant & stupid man).

Ignoring the frivolous atmosphere arguments and focusing on the action on the field.  Hurling must come out on top because of the skill levels involved.  Football comes next for skill, fitness, teamwork and tactics.  Rugby is a very close third for its passion and organisation and they way it caters for players of differing sizes and shapes.

For me soccer comes along way back in forth.  Granted it's a good and skillful game with many talented superstars (albeit overpaid and who fall down dead at the least little knock) but games have too many periods of inaction and lack of action & scores. This = a boring entertainment package but the marketing involved brainwashes the masses into believing they mush enjoy it   ( I think this notion is bolstered by the herd instinct plus the fact that few they just never had the chance to experience something better).   

Soccer relies heavily on TV highlights which can make a game look more interesting than it really was.  The same can be said of any game but not to the degree applied to 90 mins of soccer.  Plus on top of this we have soccer TY saturation which editors must try to make look entertaining.  Falling for this clever marketing trick soccer fans find ways to deal with the resultant boredom by creating distractions such as: chanting, singing. cheering major events like corners and throw-ins.

In keeping with the title of tis thread I have tried, tongue-in cheek, to keep a mildly humerous tone but some serious points have also been made.

Debate over I think (Hope?)

CompulsoryTillager

btw, Bomber Liston got his nickname from Gerd 'Der Bomber' Muller of Germany