Rules question

Started by Lone Shark, April 20, 2012, 06:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

I may or may not be correct on this, I've a gut feeling that I am, but I can't for the live of me find the correct rule.

If a club makes a decision at an AGM, does the executive committee have the power to over-rule that decision later in the year? If not, is there a particular rule that precludes it?

Thanks in advance folks.

Lone Shark

Thanks - I appreciate that.

In this particular case, there was no actual rule change involved. The chairman suggested that the option of making a change regarding one of the teams in the club be left open for the executive committee to decide. This was challenged from the floor, and after nobody spoke in favour of the chairman's original view, he accepted that the will of the club was in favour of the status quo and did not ask for a vote.

Then, he brought up the issue at a committee meeting, they took the decision to make the change, and this was done. My understanding was this this was in contravention to the rules since the decision was taken at the AGM, and no committee could act against that without calling another general meeting. Am I mistaken?

Etienne Lantier

I'm guessing this is about getting rid off a third or reserve team?

Lone Shark

Indeed.

I've had people say to me that they also believe you can't over-ride an AGM, but I can't make it out in the rule book. I'm trying to source a copy of the county's by-laws as well just to be sure but no luck with that yet.

fitzroyalty

Quick question. What is the penalty for squirting an opposing (cheating) umpire with water? Specifically, does it fall under Category 3a or 4a of R7.2? i.e. does it constitute physical assault of a match official?

DuffleKing

Ah but how did he get onto the ground where he was squirted?

I assume you already know the penalty for assaulting an official and that's why u didn't ask?

JUst retired

Is being slow to give the ball back to the goalkeeper really cheating?

johnneycool

Another one i witnessed on sunday;

a player disputed a line ball and then proceeded to puck the ball away, ref changed the line ball to a free, can he do that?

I thought you could only bring the ball forward.

Mont

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 29, 2012, 01:37:52 AM
Quick question. What is the penalty for squirting an opposing (cheating) umpire with water? Specifically, does it fall under Category 3a or 4a of R7.2? i.e. does it constitute physical assault of a match official?

are you the same chap from the armagh gaa forum?

regardless of how the gentleman got on the ground did you defend someone who stood over a man of almost pension age and was squirting water on him as he struggled to get back up? (maybe there is only one side of the story there)

putting penalties etc aside this type of behaviour isnt great if it is indeed true

dont want to jump to conclusions so hopefully you can enlighten us on what happened as Clan Na Gael arent being shown in the best of light here

fitzroyalty

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 29, 2012, 07:26:44 AM

Ah but how did he get onto the ground where he was squirted?

I assume you already know the penalty for assaulting an official and that's why u didn't ask?
He was on the ground due to a dive even Peter Canavan would be proud of.

No physical contact at any point was made which would have resulted in him being on the ground. So in that respect, with no assault on an official having occurred, I felt no need to ask.

Quote from: JUst retired on May 29, 2012, 08:08:44 AM
Is being slow to give the ball back to the goalkeeper really cheating?
See above.

EDIT:

Quote from: Mont on May 29, 2012, 09:26:34 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 29, 2012, 01:37:52 AM

are you the same chap from the armagh gaa forum?

regardless of how the gentleman got on the ground did you defend someone who stood over a man of almost pension age and was squirting water on him as he struggled to get back up? (maybe there is only one side of the story there)

putting penalties etc aside this type of behaviour isnt great if it is indeed true

dont want to jump to conclusions so hopefully you can enlighten us on what happened as Clan Na Gael arent being shown in the best of light here
Pm'd you.

rrhf

Ok 2 men catch the ball at the same time and the ref hops it.  Does it have to be between the same 2 players or does standard hop ball rules apply. 2/ Must it always take place at the same place?

Farrandeelin

Where can I source the Official Guide?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JUst retired

You can get it online at Central Council site,and look for the section you need to clarify whatever.

Main Street

In Fermanagh Down game early in the 1st half, a Fermanagh player hopped the ball off the ground,  the ball went away from him and hopped a second time by itself,  the player scooped it up just after the second hop  and hopped it again. Is this not a technical foul?

DuffleKing

No, he bounced it, lost control and then when he has regained possession he starts again: ie. Can bounce again