Book to commemorate the 1960/1961 Offaly football teams

Started by Lone Shark, October 22, 2010, 11:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

This might be of little interest to a lot of people, but I know one of the lads involved below and the thought occurred to me that you never know who on this board might have had a father or grandfather play with or against Offaly back in this era, or have pictures from the time or whatever. Anyway, the story is below - contact the lads if ye have anything that might be of interest, they'd really appreciate it.

Book to chronicle Offaly footballers 1960-1961

As most seasoned GAA followers within the county of Offaly are no doubt aware, this year is the 50th anniversary of Offaly's first historic Leinster Senior Football Final win over Louth in 1960. Subsequently in 1961 Down and Offaly were to meet in the 1961 All Ireland Football final before the largest ever recorded attendance at a sporting event in Ireland, where Down narrowly emerged as the victors. In order to mark these highly significant achievements two local men intend to produce a book to celebrate these events which will be published in 2011.

The book will be written by Edenderry's Padraig Foy and historian Ciarán Reilly. Together they hope to chronicle the events that best describe this important period and bring to light the achievements of this team to a wide audience including both young and old.

The central theme of the book will be from an Offaly perspective, encompassing the insights, recollections and reflections of all the central participants involved in what was an exciting time in Offaly GAA circles. Allied to this they also intend to incorporate the outlook from a number of Down GAA figures who were prominent during this period. Both Padraig and Ciaran have already conducted extensive research for the book and hope to interview many of the players over the coming weeks.

The two men consider that the achievements of the 1960/61 are highly noteworthy, and while they have not been neglected in terms of recognition, and believe that the spotlight deserves to be placed on these men once again in order to record the unique breakthrough that this team achieved. The exploits of men such as the great Mick and Paddy Casey, Har Donnelly, Tommy Greene, Phil O Reilly, Donie Hanlon, Mick Brady, Tommy Cullen, Sean Foran, Sean Ryan, Greg Hughes and captain Willie Nolan will be recalled.

If anyone has any input, memorabilia, pictures etc from the period both Padraig and Ciaran would be delighted to hear from them. The lads can be contacted at offaly1960@gmail.com or at 086-8745090

Hardy

LS or Offaly lads - do you know anything about Charlie Wren who, I believe, was part of the set-up in 1960/61? Would you know if he was on the AIF team or just the panel? I worked with him years ago and seem to remember he was a defender, maybe CHB.

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2010, 12:15:56 PM
LS or Offaly lads - do you know anything about Charlie Wren who, I believe, was part of the set-up in 1960/61? Would you know if he was on the AIF team or just the panel? I worked with him years ago and seen to remember he was a defender, maybe CHB.

He played at No. 4 in the 61 Final.

Bord na Mona man

LS or Offaly lads - do you know anything about Charlie Wren who, I believe, was part of the set-up in 1960/61? Would you know if he was on the AIF team or just the panel? I worked with him years ago and seem to remember he was a defender, maybe CHB.
He played in a few different positions:
http://www.uibhfhaili.com/offalygaa/results/playerAppearancesFootball.php?playerSelected=67

I think he used to live around the South side of Dublin city.

Plain of the Herbs

I think he was a native of Geashill but played most of his football with the Air Corps club, where he was a clubmate of Har Donnelly, Offaly's freetaker at that time.
He often had to play club matches in the morning and line out for the county in NFL matches in the afternoon.
Scored a crucial goal from a long tange line-ball in one of those early rounds of the 1960 Championship.  Only for that . . .

Pangurban

Probably the best team not to win an AI, teak tough and physical but also very skilful, really enjoyed watching them