Connacht FBD League 2011 Extravaganza - Official Thread Anseo

Started by Barney, December 30, 2010, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Happy New Year all!!

Looking forward to the start of the new GAA season. Throwing in for Mayo in lovely Leitrim on next Sunday.

QuoteFBD League fixtures

SUNDAY 9 JANUARY

Sligo v Galway, Enniscrone (2.00pm)
NUI Galway v IT Sligo, Dangan (2.00pm)

Leitrim v Mayo, Ballinamore (2.00pm)
Roscommon v GMIT, Ballyforan (2.00pm)

SATURDAY 15 JANUARY
IT Sligo v Sligo, Ballinode 7.00pm

SUNDAY 16 JANUARY
Galway NUI v Galway

Roscommon v Leitrim, Elphin (2.00pm)
GMIT V Mayo, Ballinrobe (2.00pm)

SUNDAY 23 JANUARY

Sligo v NUI Galway, Tourlestrane (2.00pm)
Galway IT v Sligo, Tuam (2.00pm)

Leitrim v GMIT, Cloone (2.00pm)
Mayo v Roscommon, Ballyhaunis (2.00pm)

SATURDAY 29 JANUARY

Home final

Lar Naparka

Maithiú, Barney.
It's great to see you coming out of the blocks so early and setting the standard for the year to come. We can get back to serious business again and forget about Galvin, whoever he is and Tom Daly, ditto.
It's time to start giving James Horan and his men a bit of constructive criticism and helpful advice. Roll on 2011!

BTW; I know we will really be back in action when Fear ón Srath Bán makes his customary cameo appearance and tells us all to phuck off back to the bogs or to the local club discussions or whatever takes his fancy. ;D

That's when we'll know we are making our presence felt once again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Rossfan

Ya can't bate th'oul FBD for sorting the men from the boys and not a summer glory hunter in sight.
The joys of Inter County games in January in Ballygrehan/Elphin and Ballyhaunis  ::) with lads playing who'll never wear a Senior County jersey again.

I believe we'll be seeing a few returnees to the fold which hopefully will strengthen our squad for the bigeer tests ahead v Kilkenny/Laythrum/London/Larries etc  :(
Ah well it will be all worth it when the Sun is high in the sky and the hunt is on for tickets next July , August and .......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

45GoneShort

Its wasn't long coming round since July in Newbridge against Kildare!! 

Big year ahead for Leitrim football after tragic passing of Phlly in the year gone by.  Leitrim like every county and club is being hit with emigration and retirement of players.  Most noticeably Declan Maxwell, Dermot Reynolds (St Marys), Shane Foley, Colin Regan, Michael Foley and Gareth Phelan.  But this opens the door to some of the younger players in the county to stake a place on county team, players like Paddy Maguire, Conor Beirne and Morgan Quinn to name but a few.

This should be a more relaxed Leitrim team this year minus the involvement of John Morrisson. The reintroduction of Barney Breen to the setup should bring a emphasis on playing football rather than this psychology bull.

Should be interesting to see what players take their chance to impress during the FBD ahead of the League.

SLIGONIAN

From a Sligo Viewpoint, we need to sort out alot of sectors of our team. Theres a fair bit of false positivity in Sligo at the minute but most can see through it. Last yr was a bit of a disaster tbh. A year of missed opportunity. Unfortunetly in Sligo its impossible not to look back as our players keep replaying the same old shit when it matters. Do i expect some respite next yr, probably not but theres always hope. Hope that Kevin Walsh will sort out our kickouts, hope that he'll try to find a replacement for Noel McGuire, hope that he'll get rid of Phillips and put Quinn CHB, hope he'll sort out midfield, hope that when the summer comes we can afford to have O Hara come on for 20 mins rather than start, hope that KW will see changes a bit quicker, brehony lasted 69 mins in connacht final.

Signs that our management are repeating same mistakes is if we see greene during the FBD, give mcgovern and farrell all the FBD games. Give Murphy, Coffey and Johnny Martyn gametime at midfield in FBD. Give Griffin FF chance. Give Gilsenan, C Davey, or donovan FB birth. Get Quinn in CHB all FBD. If we see O Hara, McGuire or S Davey during FBD it wastes an opportuinty to blood new players.

If we get relegated in DIV2 but find a FB, CHB , MIDFIELD, better kickout stragedy, i'll be happy going into summer. Id be fairly confident of finishing above Donegal, Laois or Antrim anyway and obviously if we do sort out the above more than likely we'll do ok but it has to our priority to sort out these positions. Cant go into another summer carrying passengers.

This more than the last 2 yrs will I judge Walsh as a manager, so far hes done an ok job, hes has improved us but hes made alot of mistakes aswell.

All our FBD games are at home, enniscrone, IT Sligo and Tourlestrane, glad they mixed up the groups aswell for the first time. Will obviously be keeping a close on Leitrim and Roscommon in 2011,

45 gone short are all the below not playing with leitrim in 2011 at all? Some big losses..
Most noticeably Declan Maxwell, Dermot Reynolds (St Marys), Shane Foley, Colin Regan, Michael Foley and Gareth Phelan.   
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

45GoneShort

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on December 30, 2010, 05:15:58 PM
45 gone short are all the below not playing with leitrim in 2011 at all? Some big losses..
Most noticeably Declan Maxwell, Dermot Reynolds (St Marys), Shane Foley, Colin Regan, Michael Foley and Gareth Phelan.

Yes these all these players are finished.  Only really bright thing for us is Emlyn Mulligan may make a return after a nightmare 2 years out through injury.

spectator

Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 30, 2010, 02:03:35 PM
Mayo - to win just once  :P

He who is tired of the FBD is tired of life. ;D

What odds another tropical rainstorm in The Haunis this year? ;)

ross4life

Seamus O'Neill is suppose to return for us during the FBD will be interesting to see if he can still do it at inter county level?

I'll be keeping a eye on the college teams where most of our first 15 play during January, why are all those leitrim players missing?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on December 30, 2010, 07:39:15 PM
, why are all those leitrim players missing?

Father time in most cases I suspect.

As well as 10 or 15 College boys we'll be missing Brigid's lads too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on December 30, 2010, 07:48:00 PM
Quote from: ross4life on December 30, 2010, 07:39:15 PM
, why are all those leitrim players missing?

Father time in most cases I suspect.

As well as 10 or 15 College boys we'll be missing Brigid's lads too.

Well the brigid's lad deserve the rest though we could do with these players for league as they will also miss 3/4 games
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Will be very interesting to see how James Horan plays the FBD. Will tell us much about how much change he feels is needed. And where. Would love to see the Leitrim game but, Jaysus, Ballinamore is some trek in January!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 30, 2010, 08:51:20 PM
Will be very interesting to see how James Horan plays the FBD. Will tell us much about how much change he feels is needed. And where. Would love to see the Leitrim game but, Jaysus, Ballinamore is some trek in January!

Can imagine it's a long trip from Mayo. it's over a hour for me on very small narrow roads the pitch (thats all it is) is at the top of the town & it's a good town for a few drinks Smyth's,Bobby Joe's,Poor Scholar the best of the bunch.

rocco

Ballinamore is about 20 mins from Carrick-on-shannon . They have a lovely set up there , nice pitch , nice stand . Its on the Enniskillen road on the outskirts of the town .

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo team to play Leitrim on Sunday has been named.

1: David Clarke
2: Cathal Hallinan
3: Ger Cafferkey
4: Richie Feeney
5: Trevor Howley
6: Mike Nestor
7: Chris Barrett
8: Ronan McGarrity
9: Barry Moran
10: Aidan Campbell
11: Austin O'Malley
12: Aidan Kilcoyne
13: Kevin Dolan
14: Andy Moran (Captain)
15: Brian Benson

As far as I can see it will be the first Mayo senior game for four players - Cathal Hallinan and Mike Nestor of Ballintubber, Kevin Dolan (Tourmakeady) and Brian Benson (Crossmolina). I'd be pretty sure Hallinan and Dolan will be wearing the Mayo jersey for the first time at any level. Michael Nestor and Brian Benson played Mayo minor. Maybe Benson played FBD too, I couldn't swear he didn't. Good to see actual corner backs selected.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year