Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2016, 11:24:45 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 26, 2016, 10:44:56 PM
for a start sean cavanagh should have got the role at full forward against mayo. in the same way andy moran does it for mayo and they are both the same age. the style of play needs to change before we start naming who is going to play where. whatever forwards u play under the current tactics is irrelevant as they wont be gettin the kind of ball into the space they need. did u not notice our last 4 shots for an equalizer against mayo were taken by nial morgan, cathal mc carron, tiarnan mc cann and darren mc curry. only 1 of those 4 is a forward.

Once we get a decent full forward do we then ask the opposition not to crowd the defence so he can get some space to play in?
ok so wel just keep running the ball into the oppositions crowded defence. prob solved. should be good enough gameplan to win another mc kenna cup.

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 26, 2016, 11:37:22 PM
for a start sean cavanagh should have got the role at full forward against mayo. in the same way andy moran does it for mayo and they are both the same age. the style of play needs to change before we start naming who is going to play where. whatever forwards u play under the current tactics is irrelevant as they wont be gettin the kind of ball into the space they need. did u not notice our last 4 shots for an equalizer against mayo were taken by nial morgan, cathal mc carron, tiarnan mc cann and darren mc curry. only 1 of those 4 is a forward.

Once we get a decent full forward do we then ask the opposition not to crowd the defence so he can get some space to play in?
ok so wel just keep running the ball into the oppositions crowded defence. prob solved. should be good enough gameplan to win another mc kenna cup.

Or just hoof the ball long into a crowded defence maybe?
That was never a square ball!!

Club boi

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 24, 2016, 07:35:05 PM
The two issues I see for next year are full back and full forward.

Thought McNamee had a poor year this year when compared with 2015 where he was excellent. Mickey also likes McCarron to pick up the more physical of the forward line as McNamee struggles with a big strong target man, Givney gave him a really tough time in the drawn game with Cavan. Hampsey is certainly worth a more in depth look at in the league next year and I would worry about our ability to deal with the aerial ball if Justy decides to go away.

I've talked about the full forward before, we need a big guy in there who can win the direct ball and stick it over the bar. Cavanagh gets frustrated in there and does his best work further out the pitch so I think we need to look at other options. Would like to see Niall McKenna get a proper run in there this year and potentially Danny McNulty. Is there any story with McNulty? He was on the McKenna Cup panel in 2013 but hasn't had a look in since?

Was there not a poster on here said previously that Mc Nulty got hurt at Tyrone but Harte and his team cast him back to Clonoe who had to sort him out. Took over a year or more from memory so not sure if that bridge has also sailed

Anyone know the full story??

southtyronegael

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2016, 11:47:28 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 26, 2016, 11:37:22 PM
we need varity in our play. there is a time for quick running, quick kick passing and sometimes a quick ball into target man. enough movement from our forwards and there will eventually be space created. its really not rocket science. maybe someone should tell mickey.

Or just hoof the ball long into a crowded defence maybe?

southtyronegael

we need variety in our play. there is a time for quick running, quick kick passing and quick ball into a target man.enough movement from our forwards and the space will eventually be created. its really not rocket science. maybe someone should tell mickey.

Uncle Kev

Drive her in high to big Dan and goals , points and an all ireland will come our way ! Credit where credit is due the big guy from Clonoe won us the u21 title on free taking alone .No more shite talk about needing a marquee forward ; head down to mcnulty motors and sign him up ! Show over and no more crying about free takers ! I'm away to Pomeroy here to watch the dazzler make a bollix out of the ardboe men!

southtyronegael

hey lad which mc  nulty are u talkin about?

Uncle Kev

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 28, 2016, 12:08:03 AM
hey lad which mc  nulty are u talkin about?
big Dan I'm hardly talking about mcnulty from Eglish !

Fuzzman

Just wondering how to people see our style of football evolving in the next year.
With us back in Div 1 will we continue playing with 13/14 men behind the ball?
I am rarely at any club games any more as I live in Dublin so do most clubs play this style now or is it a bit more open with the ball being kicked into the forward line?

In my opinion we are playing this style of football now mainly because we felt we had to play it to beat teams like Donegal and Monaghan and thought it could be effective if we met the Dublin and Kerrys of this world. Maybe it is the right way forward but I think what we learnt this year is that it works well against most teams who can't match us and fall into the trap of letting us play them on the break. We can then break at pace and create space for our forwards.
However, it doesn't work so well against teams who sit back and don't push their defenders forward and so our lack of good forwards really struggle to get scores.

So my question is do we continue to be the new Donegal and so everyone else will continue to play that way against us or do we try to play with more forwards and make it a more open game.

Also, I was wondering if most clubs are focusing on playing this defensive style now, then are we not allowing our young players to develop better as forwards. For years Tyrone always produced good forwards but at the moment there seems to be a lack of them or else they're being held back cos they are so used to being covered by the blanket. Like I said I really don't know the club scene any more so I'm genuinely asking the question.

omagh_gael

If we continue to play one man up front (whether that's O'Neill, McAliskey, McCurry etc) then we deserve to stagnate. That will do against teams outside of the top 3/4, however, when we meet the top teams we crumble. That'll only work if you've a Michael Murphy type player up there.

The first day versus Cavan, Ulster final and Mayo game showed that our long range shooting leaves a lot to be desired and the free kick situation has to be remedied. Dublin played Dean Rock almost exclusively for free kicks and he only now is starting to establish himself as a key threat from play.

Club boi

Think Rock kicked 12 points on Sunday, in an All Ireland Semi Final against Kerry. Not bad for a man being "carried" but does show the difference a reliable place kicker can be. With the other forwards being well held it turned out his Free Taking arguably won Dublin the game

sambostar

I was at the game on Sunday & couldn't help but think Tyrone are light years behind Dublin. Yes, Rock showed the value of a reliable free-taker - he only missed one & many of his efforts were from sizeable distances &/or awkward angles. Also JOD scored a point for Kerry from almost the exact spot where McCurry missed against Mayo. Those 2 things sum up where Tyrone are at for me, the forward power just isn't there at the minute. McCurry, RON, McAliskey, Bradley would struggle to get on the Dublin 26 never mind the 1st XV.

Tyrone's best finishers are arguably Mattie & Peter Harte but you couldn't play them inside as they're needed out the pitch. Plus with the current system they'd be totally wasted in there as nobody would pass the ball into them!

After the euphoria of the Ulster Final win it's a bit of a downer as an AI title doesn't look very probable in the next few years.

Fuzzman

Are there any reliable free takers at club level in Tyrone that would struggle from play at county level? If you look at most of the successful free takers they don't seem to change them, even if they miss one or two. Rock hits them all for Dublin now if on his side (used to be Cluxton).
Sheehan of course for Kerry and Cillian O'Connor for Mayo. Murphy for Donegal and McManus for Monaghan yet we seem to go from year to year chopping and changing, hoping that Morgan will get the far out ones and let Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey & McCurry all have a go at some of them. Why did Peter Harte stop hitting them from a few years back?

We've been saying it every year now but this is one area Mickey really needs to address and stop letting the players decide themselves. Can you think of an AI winning team that didn't have a good reliable free taker?

southtyronegael

tyrone won an all ireland in 08 without a recognised free taker. i think colm mc cullagh, tommy mc guigan and mugsy shared the duties. i think the lads we have are accurate enough if theyd spend less time trackin back and more time practicin shootin at training.

StGallsGAA

QuoteTyrone won an all ireland in 08 without a recognised free taker. i think colm mc cullagh, tommy mc guigan and mugsy shared the duties.

You're not wrong but the 08 win was also down to Cavanagh being virtually unmarkable at FF and also kicked a heap of frees when not scoring for fun from play.