Jim Wells' (DUP MLA) continued bigotry towards the GAA.

Started by mournerambler, April 28, 2010, 12:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elias

This clampet lets on he is concerned about Ulster Bank creating a neutral working environment but takes no time to consider how any Catholic / nationalist employee of this bank, or any worker for that matter, feels about going to work surrounded by Union Jacks / Orange Order regalia. Hardy a level playing field is it Thomas?

The DUP's bigotry continues to know no bounds, certainly when it comes to the GAA.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on September 20, 2010, 07:18:13 PM
If this has been posted apologies.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/Unionists-differ-over-GAA-fever.6538390.jp

He's a prize bollox :

"It is disgraceful that two Down GAA flags are flying in the middle of Kilkeel, which is a mixed town.

"The amount of GAA regalia on display is completely unacceptable and totally insensitive," he added

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Redhand Santa

Unreal comment considering they have no problem with Union Jacks and UVF flags flying in mixed towns across the North. Spotted UVF flags flying proudly in middle of Armagh recently. Strange that there is no complaints about this.

orangeman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 20, 2010, 08:10:05 PM
Unreal comment considering they have no problem with Union Jacks and UVF flags flying in mixed towns across the North. Spotted UVF flags flying proudly in middle of Armagh recently. Strange that there is no complaints about this.

Please don't tell me you're surprised ?.

ogshead

The UVF flags in Armagh do bug me but they're hardly in the middle of the town. They're up around the Hamiltonsbawn road. They wouldn't get away with flying them in the middle of town. I don't understand how they are able to get away with it anyway.

armaghniac

I think the GAA and broader nationalist community have to oppose this kind of bigotry. A  local sports team, even one with more members from one community than other, is fully entitled to display its colours in its own town when it plays in a final or whatever. I would have no problem whatsoever with a soccer, hockey or rugby team doing this, even if it wasn't a sport I personally followed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dougal Maguire

I'm surprised John McAllister of the UUP didn't travel as he said the previous week that he intended to go and that someone in the GAA was trying to sort him out with tickets. Wells' comments are so ironic they're laughable. He seems to forget that Kilkeel and other places are festooner in red white and blue (at best) from May till the end of August to facilitate the orange marching season
Careful now

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ogshead on September 20, 2010, 08:29:25 PM

The UVF flags in Armagh do bug me but they're hardly in the middle of the town. They're up around the Hamiltonsbawn road. They wouldn't get away with flying them in the middle of town. I don't understand how they are able to get away with it anyway.

There was some up beside the mall which is a main route through the town.

RadioGAAGAA

QuoteHe's a prize bollox :

"It is disgraceful that two Down GAA flags are flying in the middle of Kilkeel, which is a mixed town.

"The amount of GAA regalia on display is completely unacceptable and totally insensitive," he added

So what about the UVF flags Jim?

In related news I can also tell you that someone rang the down GAA office last week to rant at them for being involved with a sectarian organisation. The bigot in question was well taken aback when the protestant who answered took offence to the rant.
i usse an speelchekor

thejuice

Quote: David Vance TUV

"I see the BBC in Northern Ireland chooses to lead the NATIONAL news on the result of some GAA game happening in a foreign country. I believe one team lost. How enthralling."

A$$hole
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

I actually think that posters here are playing Wells' game when they cite UVF flags, 12th July and the like. The GAA is not the mirror image of the the Orange order or the UVF, we should not be setting one off against another. A sporting team can expect its locality to support it through sponsorship,public poster, flags and the like, the UVF has nothing to do with it.

I'd rather see the statement that sports teams all over the world have local support, baseball, soccer, ice hockey or whatever there is nothing unusual or offensive about it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on September 21, 2010, 11:38:53 AM
I actually think that posters here are playing Wells' game when they cite UVF flags, 12th July and the like. The GAA is not the mirror image of the the Orange order or the UVF, we should not be setting one off against another.

That is true.

Good point.
i usse an speelchekor

Redhand Santa

Quote from: armaghniac on September 21, 2010, 11:38:53 AM
I actually think that posters here are playing Wells' game when they cite UVF flags, 12th July and the like. The GAA is not the mirror image of the the Orange order or the UVF, we should not be setting one off against another. A sporting team can expect its locality to support it through sponsorship,public poster, flags and the like, the UVF has nothing to do with it.

I'd rather see the statement that sports teams all over the world have local support, baseball, soccer, ice hockey or whatever there is nothing unusual or offensive about it.

The point is that the DUP members have no problem with loyalist flags supporting a paramiliatary organisation flying in town centres but can some how get annoyed at sports flags in the run up to the biggest match in Down in 15 years.