Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: lurganblue on January 30, 2019, 10:18:54 AM
Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2019, 09:10:30 AM
I was looking at the prices for Armagh's game v Clare on Sunday...£14 if you purchase now but £19 on the day, that's a disgrace. Usually it's on the day that I decide to go as I normally go out cycling on a Sunday morning so depending on the time i get back usually determines if i have time to go to the match but i'll have to pay £19 for a league game...That's too much of a hike, that surely will have an impact on attendances?

Why the need for a difference in price on the day and pre booking?

I'd say its to encourage people to pay in advance meaning:
1) They aren't handling large amounts of cash at the grounds on the day.
2) Cutting down on queues at the ticket booths and in turn meaning less people needed on the day.

Hound

Could be a record low for the "Spring Series" this Saturday for Dubs v Galway. The latter don't have the greatest following and there's a strong temptation to stay at home (or pub) and watch the Ireland v England, Dublin v Galway double bill in comfort.

I saw a piece about Leopardstown Dublin Festival on this weekend. And Lep officials stating that fans needn't worry about missing any of the rugby, it will be on all the screens at the racecourse (kick off not too long after the last race due to finish I think). There'd be no chance of Croker having the rugby be on any of their TVs! 

BennyCake

Quote from: Hound on January 30, 2019, 11:03:18 AM
Could be a record low for the "Spring Series" this Saturday for Dubs v Galway. The latter don't have the greatest following and there's a strong temptation to stay at home (or pub) and watch the Ireland v England, Dublin v Galway double bill in comfort.

I saw a piece about Leopardstown Dublin Festival on this weekend. And Lep officials stating that fans needn't worry about missing any of the rugby, it will be on all the screens at the racecourse (kick off not too long after the last race due to finish I think). There'd be no chance of Croker having the rugby be on any of their TVs!

Quite feckin' right too!

Rossfan

Agree with Benny (for once ;D)
Next they'll want the GAA to play no games during the rubby season >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

Quote from: thewobbler on September 12, 2018, 05:35:34 PM
Check attendance figures for the Kerry golden years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

According to wiki the attendance at the Kerry Armagh All Ireland semi-final in 1982 was 17,523

I was at that game, I have no particular memory of the size of the crowd but these brief highlights seem to show plenty of space in the crowd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJuT3L_LzHc

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: dec on January 30, 2019, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 12, 2018, 05:35:34 PM
Check attendance figures for the Kerry golden years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

According to wiki the attendance at the Kerry Armagh All Ireland semi-final in 1982 was 17,523

I was at that game, I have no particular memory of the size of the crowd but these brief highlights seem to show plenty of space in the crowd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJuT3L_LzHc

I was at that game too and from memory it had been flagged up in advance that it all pointed towards a record low crowd. The 17,523 must have been 90% Armagh fans, as evidenced when Big Joe scored our goal into the Canal End that day. Unfortunately 5-in-a-row chasing Kerry gave three goals back, along with fifteen or sixteen points, to a very muted response from the crowd.

illdecide

Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2019, 10:40:04 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on January 30, 2019, 10:18:54 AM
Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2019, 09:10:30 AM
I was looking at the prices for Armagh's game v Clare on Sunday...£14 if you purchase now but £19 on the day, that's a disgrace. Usually it's on the day that I decide to go as I normally go out cycling on a Sunday morning so depending on the time i get back usually determines if i have time to go to the match but i'll have to pay £19 for a league game...That's too much of a hike, that surely will have an impact on attendances?

Why the need for a difference in price on the day and pre booking?

classic economics. Why do you get cheaper flights if you book in advance? The loyal supporter who is going to go rain, hail or shine gets a discount if they buy during the week, but you get the full whack from the fickle supporter. A lot of people couldn't care less about the €5 but you provide a means of avoiding i for anyone for whom it is important.

Wasn't impressed with you Blue calling me a fickle supporter so i ordered my ticket online there...

One thing i wasn't sure about was it issued me with a seat number on the ticket but i'm taking my son with me who is free in so where is he sitting? I'll assume the seat number is a generic thing and it's first come first served for the main stand
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Cunny Funt

A decrease in the football championship attendance figures has hit the GAA hard in the pocket.

The association's new Director of Finance Ger Mulryan presented his first annual report today and it shows an overall drop in gate receipts from €34,391,635 to €29,575,091.

Despite the introduction of the Super 8s, the money generated from the football championship fell by €3,695,115.

That's bad because the group stage for the last eight was mainly brought in to make up for money lost on previous year attendances.

Rossfan

Decrease in Ulster because they hacked up the prices
Decrease in Leinster because it's become irrelevant
Decrease in AI because the peasants don't turn up with mouths agape to look at Dublin any more, plus the Last 8 series meant a lot stayed at home from the Croker round.
And tightening up the timescale doesn't help.

manfromdelmonte

Plus the Dubs are actually poorly supportered once the bandwagoners fall away

Itchy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 06, 2019, 04:41:28 PM

Thats not true, always had great support during the league games that i was at.

trailer

Dubs are definitely one of the best supported teams about and always bring a serious colour and atmosphere where ever they go. The more they're out of Croke park the better for everyone.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Itchy on February 06, 2019, 04:44:46 PM

Define great support? and take into account the population that Dublin have while doing it.

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2019, 04:53:45 PM

Dubs are definitely one of the best supported teams about and always bring a serious colour and atmosphere where ever they go. The more they're out of Croke park the better for everyone.

If Croke Park was in any other county and they were continually winning provincial and AI's, there'd be huge crowds in attendance too.

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 06, 2019, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 06, 2019, 04:44:46 PM

Define great support? and take into account the population that Dublin have while doing it.
Must have been 1,500 Monaghans in the Hyde last Sunday.
2.5% of their population.
Equivalent of 35,000 Dublin fans.