GAA Bars in Chicago

Started by coosanglen, July 19, 2007, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblack4ever

Mr. Sheehy, do you know the circumstances under which the Tones won all 13 of their Senior championships? Are you saying that somehow or another they didn't deserve them?

If you have proof that the Chicago Wolfe Tones ever "cheated" or "didn't play by the rules"
as set forth in the Official Guide or the NACB Rules and Regs, I'd like to see it..

Bottom line, I was replying to "we are blue" and the aspersion he cast on the Chicago Wolfe Tones and one of the finest Gaelic football players, Liam "Horse" Cullen, to ever grace any field in North America.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Mike Sheehy

Nope, I'm sure they played within the rules fair and square however when victory and defeat is determined by which intercounty players you can manage to sign up that particular year then dont you think it takes away from it somewhat ?

Like I said, its the same for all the teams so its  no slight on Wolfe Tones. I just dont think NACB senior titles are not a good measure of a "successful" club.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 20, 2007, 12:23:15 AM
Bottom line, I was replying to "we are blue" and the aspersion he cast on the Chicago Wolfe Tones and one of the finest Gaelic football players, Liam "Horse" Cullen, to ever grace any field in North America.

Jaysus r&b that's a bit heavy. First of all if I was casting aspersions on anyone it was the Tones not on Cullen - where did you get that from? Second of all "Cmon Brendans" hardly qualifies as incitement to hatred. Third - now that you mention it I'd love to see a post/thread about NACB shenanigans over the years (or should I say alleged shenanigans) -- great history of inter-club rivalry over there that not too many people here really know about.

Mike Sheehy

Actually, everybody knows about the rivalry (often unhealthy) now after Dara O'Cinneide remarked on it a few weeks back

we are blue... etc

Must have missed that MS. Was it on telly or print?

Mike Sheehy

http://direct.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2007/0620/dara7.html

Here it is. he was talking about the cavan players that left to play for St Brendans instead of playing in
the qualifiers.

redandblack4ever

Yeah, Mr. O'Cinneide would be familiar with the St. Brendan's club. One of his brothers played for them for a couple of years, not too successfully I might add, and Dara himself has been "brought out" to appear at least one of their dinner dances.

Bottom line, it's not just the Tones and the Brendan's that are "paying for players". The clubs in Boston, Philadelphia and San Francisco do the same thing.

Nothing will change until the "powers that be" in Croke Park, stop having a blind eye to what goes on in the NACB. For example, this year, the Chicago St. Brendan's had 26 sanctions sent out to them from CP. The rules for 2007 were this: 10 sanctions for senior teams and 8 for junior teams. That's a total of 18, why were they allowed to receive 26 in total?

Do the people that work in the office in Croke Park that handle the sanctions, not know how to count?

One other thing, the NACB is a total joke. They misapply rules, look the other way when teams play illegal players, etc., etc. On the Hogan Stand this week someone posted that Philadelphia Tyrone has even managed to get players registered after the deadline of July 1st. What is that all about? Are Philadelphia Tyrone special or something...

Bottom line, there are two sets of rules for certain teams within the NACB. There are teams that can get away with anything and those that can't. There's a standing joke here in the US, IOKIYAR (it's okay if you're a Republican); in Chicago it goes like this: IOKIYTB (it's okay if you're the Brendans)...Of course, it always helps when the Chairman of the NACB is a former member of the St. Brendan's GFC and his livliehood depends on one of the biggest backers of the St. Brendan's GFC.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Bensars

Red and Black................. is that larry ?

slippery dodger

Going to Chicago for the summer and was hoping for an updated list of venues to watch from if anybody knows of any. Don't think I'm going to get GAAGO