Sore Throat

Started by Cold tea, February 22, 2011, 02:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold tea

Have had a sore throat from November, eventually saw a doctor who had a clue and said I have acute tonsillitis, either get them out of live with the pain!! He said at my age (late 30's) it can be both dangerous and take you about 6 weeks to recover, has anyone ever had their tonsils out in adulthood and was it as bad as I am being led to believe?

quit yo jibbajabba

got them out late 20s; first day, piece o p1ss, wondered what all the fuss was about......then the drugs wore off, and it was agony chap!!!
for a week it aint much fun, but just keep chewin the painkillers and youll get through it; worst thing was durin the nite if the painkillers had wore off and ye woke with the pain, werent nice....
took about 3 weeks off, last one was definitely a bluff i can recall ;D

Hope this helps; (£50 please)

WeeDonns

I'm 26 and have the same option. Get a sore throat about twice a year.
The doc said that surgeons are very reluctant to do it now because of a risk of bleeding.
My brother got it done when he was 18 and it bled a few times in the week or two after the operation. Think it kinda freaked him out the first time it happened.

Tony Baloney

My youngest (2 y.o.) is going in for this op in a few weeks and the surgeon has said that the biggest risk is from bleeding. He also needs to be kept out of childcare for at least 2 weeks which is a bummer (unless we can time it over Easter!).

A wee fella in my eldest's class got his taken out a few weeks ago and he bled in the night over a week after the op - had to get an ambulance to take him to hospital. Hope that makes you feel better  ;)

thebigfella

Had it done at 18, fine up until 2 weeks after and cant remember habving any pain at all. Went to bed exactly 2 weeks after spitting a tiny amound blood (as to be expected) but woke up in the middle of the night a good few pints of blood worse off. Ended up in hospital agian nearly getting a transfusion too.

Still no pain and apart from the mess don't see what the fuss was about  ;)

Edit: Was worth it because I was killed with them, being in bed for days at a time.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thebigfella on February 22, 2011, 03:32:17 PM
Had it done at 18, fine up until 2 weeks after and cant remember habving any pain at all. Went to bed exactly 2 weeks after spitting a tiny amound blood (as to be expected) but woke up in the middle of the night a good few pints of blood worse off. Ended up in hospital agian nearly getting a transfusion too.

Still no pain and apart from the mess don't see what the fuss was about  ;)

Edit: Was worth it because I was killed with them, being in bed for days at a time.
What thebigfella is saying is, if you don't bleed to death after the operation it will be grand  :D

johnneycool

Have you tried gargling the Poitin?

woy the clown

never had much bother with the throat until a couple of years ago (now in mid 30's) used to get one every 6 weeks, doc said tonsillitis, and asked if i had any small children that were teething, and funny enough i had, he blamed the weans and said i was likely to keep having throat trouble till the weans stopped teething, which it did, now have no bother

Celt_Man

Had a problem with them myself and got them horsed out in my early 20s.  Same story as the rest of the fellas said, they are reluctant to take them out of adults due to the risk of bleeding. 

Operation itself is a piece of piss and only had 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital so big problem there.  Pain wasn't a huge fact with me although they said that when the painkillers given to me in the hospital wore off that I would need to take the stronger of the two painkillers perscribed to me....

Thankfully it wasn't that sore and never needed the stronger painkillers - I reckon that's because I wouldn't have taken half a dozen painkillers in the last ten years so whenever I do they are very effective.

My reason for going for the operation was that if I was ever away travelling in the arsehole of somewhere and I got sick with the bad dose of tonsillitis, there was a risk of getting blood poisoning if it was left untreated.... so screw that.

Glad I got it done and haven't ever had a sore throat or tonsillitis since
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

quit yo jibbajabba

The bastids never mentioned bleeding once to me........ :o

pintsofguinness

My sister got them done a couple of years ago, bled a few days after as well and she was rushed back in to hospital.   :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Olly

Cold tea, I think it would be advisable to tie up a few loose ends and maybe visit the people you love most before the operation.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Olly on February 22, 2011, 07:48:14 PM
Cold tea, I think it would be advisable to tie up a few loose ends and maybe visit the people you love most before the operation.
:D

under the bar

Was told I'd have to have mine ripped out when I was about 30 due to recurrent tonsillitis.  Heard some horror stories about the op at that age but then was told by a elderly neighbour to gargle salt twice a week and I'd never have tonsillitis again.   I tried it and havent had tonsillitis in nearly 10 years.   

JUst retired

your old neighbour was wise,I was told the same thing and found it worked as well.
But follow Olly`s advice, he is never far wrong. ;D