Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2020, 02:55:22 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 29, 2020, 01:38:19 PM
my Worry is that he saw no future in it as I think there is only 2 years fundign left.
I think it is obvious to get someone in to run it with experience on how Dublin have grown in last 10 years and more likely to be able to access the Euros

They have been running it. Do you think Croke Park would give that money without checks and balances? The Dublin blueprint no doubt was used, but this is Belfast, you are saying you want a Dub up to run it?

How much will that eat into the funds?

Any ideas as to who you would like in place?

Well a dub might work out better than it has worked now. It seems Antrim always leads to an enviable fall out of some sort when a local man takes a role on within the county. Someone from outside the county may have been a better option.  I actually haven't witnessed much change so far with GF. I have seen a lot of good coaches but equally a lot of inexperienced coaches going into schools and taking PE lessons in order to get something on their CV. It is of course a good start but this is only scratching the surface as I said. I am not sure if this is following the blue print that Dublin had because it doesn't have the same funding that Dublin had to get theirs off the ground. Dublin also had the benefit of having won many All Irelands, having the national stadium in their city, massive financial backing from sponsors and running their CB like a large buiness. Dublin needed a good kickstart to get all going again. Antrim is basically starting from nothing. £1m over 5 years isn't anywhere near enough.

Belfast GAA man

my Worry is that he saw no future in it as I think there is only 2 years fundign left.
I think it is obvious to get someone in to run it with experience on how Dublin have grown in last 10 years and more likely to be able to access the Euros

They have been running it. Do you think Croke Park would give that money without checks and balances? The Dublin blueprint no doubt was used, but this is Belfast, you are saying you want a Dub up to run it?

Yes but I dont Think it is appropriate to discuss on a public forum with the siTuation vacant
Dublin was not in a good position 15 years ago and as Irelands 2nd city we surely must learn from them - and yes 200k a year is a pitance compared to Dublin

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 27, 2020, 07:22:27 PM
Im hearing the Gaelfast chief Has been relieved of his duties - anybody hear why?

This was your post? You think it's now not appropriate?

Quote from: JimStynes on December 29, 2020, 04:41:29 PM

Well a dub might work out better than it has worked now. It seems Antrim always leads to an enviable fall out of some sort when a local man takes a role on within the county. Someone from outside the county may have been a better option.  I actually haven't witnessed much change so far with GF. I have seen a lot of good coaches but equally a lot of inexperienced coaches going into schools and taking PE lessons in order to get something on their CV. It is of course a good start but this is only scratching the surface as I said. I am not sure if this is following the blue print that Dublin had because it doesn't have the same funding that Dublin had to get theirs off the ground. Dublin also had the benefit of having won many All Irelands, having the national stadium in their city, massive financial backing from sponsors and running their CB like a large buiness. Dublin needed a good kickstart to get all going again. Antrim is basically starting from nothing. £1m over 5 years isn't anywhere near enough.
Jim it's been running how many months?

When do you expect changes?

Why would an outsider be better placed to fix a Belfast thing?

What qualifications would you be any to see from a new chief?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I believe every CLUB has a serious responsibility to provide the optimum opportunity for a potentially elite athlete to reach his or her full potential. Thats not to say our schools dont need to do more, or our county development squads dont need to do more, etc etc....but the ultimate responsibility in todays modern era lies with the club.

A club can produce great players if it has good structures along with capable and committed people. If every club set a target of having at least two or three potentially top inter county footballers in ten years, then we would we well on our way through the divisions of the NFL.

This we can do, its in our grasp. The rest if it happens is a welcome bonus.

Saffrongael

They were never gonna throw millions at it to start with when you look at Antrim's track record. I'm sure if Croke Park deem it a success more funding will follow. From 2007 - 2018 Antrim received the 7th highest amount in coaching/development grants so it's not as if Antrim have never had a penny before.

Oh and sad to see Paul Donnelly go, some egos involved at top of Antrim gaa
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Quote from: bannside on December 29, 2020, 05:21:23 PM
I believe every CLUB has a serious responsibility to provide the optimum opportunity for a potentially elite athlete to reach his or her full potential. Thats not to say our schools dont need to do more, or our county development squads dont need to do more, etc etc....but the ultimate responsibility in todays modern era lies with the club.

A club can produce great players if it has good structures along with capable and committed people. If every club set a target of having at least two or three potentially top inter county footballers in ten years, then we would we well on our way through the divisions of the NFL.

This we can do, its in our grasp. The rest if it happens is a welcome bonus.

Good post Bannside but you forgot a crucial ingredient: parents.

I think parents have a huge role to play in their childrens' development.  I know they do by taking them to blitzes etc. but you can see the huge interest in kids whose parents take them to games etc.

Even a simple thing like taking them outside the house for a kickabout/puckabout is great and creates an interest.

Another point, which is out of their control to a certain extent is their class group at school, especially primary school.  E.G. if your son is in a class with a few lads who are mad for sport, then there's a good chance they'll be close friends up through school because of the sport interest etc.  Just an opinion.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2020, 05:13:51 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 27, 2020, 07:22:27 PM
Im hearing the Gaelfast chief Has been relieved of his duties - anybody hear why?

This was your post? You think it's now not appropriate?

Was just quoting your earlier post!

Jim it's been running how many months?

When do you expect changes?

Why would an outsider be better placed to fix a Belfast thing?

What qualifications would you be any to see from a new chief?

bannside

Those are definitely important considerations Marty. My point is that we continually yap on (and rightly) that more needd to be done at school and dev squad level. Those things are harder to deliver. But a club that can pull together half a dozen knowledgable individuals with the common interest of properly developing juveniles in their own club, can deliver quality players through their own conveyor belt.

Look what Sean Mc Gourty and Liam Stewart and a few stalwarts in St Galls delivered. Yes there are factors that can expedite this, but it can be done.

Cargin seem to have their conveyor belt going well. Three or four good players every year. Thats all any club needs. Its up to others to match this. And if/when they do, Antrim football will be in a much better place.

marty34

Quote from: bannside on December 29, 2020, 09:22:38 PM
Those are definitely important considerations Marty. My point is that we continually yap on (and rightly) that more needd to be done at school and dev squad level. Those things are harder to deliver. But a club that can pull together half a dozen knowledgable individuals with the common interest of properly developing juveniles in their own club, can deliver quality players through their own conveyor belt.

Look what Sean Mc Gourty and Liam Stewart and a few stalwarts in St Galls delivered. Yes there are factors that can expedite this, but it can be done.

Cargin seem to have their conveyor belt going well. Three or four good players every year. Thats all any club needs. Its up to others to match this. And if/when they do, Antrim football will be in a much better place.

Agree Bannside.

The club, for the most part, is where it happens.

bannside

Anybody listen to Sean Kelly on Saffcast? I think he did more for Antrim Gaa than anyone ever did. His true legacy mightnt be appreciated until the next generation of Saffron Stars whom he has helped to harvest nuture and inspire all at once. "Some man for One Man comes to mind!

Saffrongael

Quote from: bannside on December 29, 2020, 10:37:09 PM
Anybody listen to Sean Kelly on Saffcast? I think he did more for Antrim Gaa than anyone ever did. His true legacy mightnt be appreciated until the next generation of Saffron Stars whom he has helped to harvest nuture and inspire all at once. "Some man for One Man comes to mind!

Steady on now, he was a PRO, a very good one but let's not lose the run of ourselves
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 29, 2020, 11:37:47 PM

Steady on now, he was a PRO, a very good one but let's not lose the run of ourselves

The first one that actually gave us a media platform which allowed us to be updated on everything Antrim.

From Twitter/Facebook/instagram and other outlets from showing games he never missed a beat.

There wasn't a game he wasn't at! I don't know how he did it to be fair, them and saffron Gael produced a smooth access to all our games.

Generating a popular platform Antrim can improve its worth, and Sean was a integral part of that.

I've every confidence that our new PRO will take us further.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Bannside it was a great listen, as have all the saffcast interviews. Reading the Irish News yesterday I may be in the minority but I just hope our players keep the heads down and prepare well for the league. No need for the volume of interviews in the Irish News, lets do our talking on the field. Could be a good year.

bannside

Enjoyed reading Saffron Gaels interview with Enda Mc Ginley. Seems to like what he sees amongst some of the younger players.

His whole backroom team look very capable and highly regarded. SK needs no intro, SON was very highly respected when M Harte brought him in as forwards coach, and Stevie Quinn feedback was positive from the start. Great to see Oliver Lennon involved, very professional and liked by players, and who better than Roy Mc Larnon to make sure things are in place. All in all, a good set up, players buying in and enjoying the freshness.

We can be certain Leitrim Louth and Sligo will be saying the exact same.....going to be really interesting to see how things pan out.

paddyjohn

Quote from: EOC1923 on December 30, 2020, 09:13:52 AM
Bannside it was a great listen, as have all the saffcast interviews. Reading the Irish News yesterday I may be in the minority but I just hope our players keep the heads down and prepare well for the league. No need for the volume of interviews in the Irish News, lets do our talking on the field. Could be a good year.

It's been a slow news week sporting wise, next thing we'll have Brendan Crossan in Cushendall again or talking to one of the McGourtys.

I agree, keep the head down and work hard. Stay outta the press